Western Australian State Cricket Team: Treble Winners. Again

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I can never understand is how is he going to bowl enough if he doesn't actually bowl?

It's the whole sports science thing. When they're coming back from injury, they build up gradually at different intensities and number of balls at training. Usually starting with a shortened run up and extending it over time. A lot of the time it all seems a bit arbitrary.

It's the whole sports science thing. When they're coming back from injury, they build up gradually at different intensities and number of balls at training. Usually starting with a shortened run up and extending it over time. A lot of the time it all seems a bit arbitrary.
And it's been working a treat, clearly :rolleyes:

I understand the sports science behind it (and bemoan how its taken over the game), but I have a theory that bowling is as much a mental game as it is physical.

I was never a pace bowler (and never will be) but the only way I progressed to feel comfortable bowling in a game situation is to bowl in a game situation.

Nah wasn't retained from last season, behind a few spinners in the longer formats unfortunately for him.

Klinger off to Bangladesh for 5 weeks.
Don't like it. What if a batsman goes down with an injury, plus perhaps losing Marsh to the Test squad?

Can we re-call him if needs be? Either way, splitting the squad during a season where we want to win a Shield? I'd happily sacrifice our chances of having Klinger Big Bash ready for a chance at the Shield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's by mutual arrangement, I'd imagine they told him he was behind the likes of Short as reserve, offered him a chance to keep playing, but with the caveat he can be recalled.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I still don't like a member of the squad jetting off overseas in a potentially Shield-winning season - don't care if he's depth or not. Should be staying around the squad, offering his experience to assist Mitch and the younger players, putting pressure on with big Grade scores.

Well I hope they don't pay him for these 5 weeks then.
Perhaps they rate the quality of opposition in Bangers higher than in grade cricket. Could be win-win. I acknowledge the point above about helping out the team with his leadership but overall I'm not too concerned. Seems like WA think it will keep him sharper.

Perhaps they rate the quality of opposition in Bangers higher than in grade cricket. Could be win-win. I acknowledge the point above about helping out the team with his leadership but overall I'm not too concerned. Seems like WA think it will keep him sharper.

More like its an opportunity for him to make money. This is a decision made for Klinger and not aimed at our benefit.

More like its an opportunity for him to make money. This is a decision made for Klinger and not aimed at our benefit.
I think it's more likely they have told him his opportunities are limited and given him a chance to make some money for him and his family. That's looking after your players. They presumably have plans for him in BBL, so this gives him better preparation as well. It really looks like win-win to me.

I think it's more likely they have told him his opportunities are limited and given him a chance to make some money for him and his family. That's looking after your players. They presumably have plans for him in BBL, so this gives him better preparation as well. It really looks like win-win to me.

That would be my take on the situation as well.

To be honest as much as I'd love a shield, it would be nice to see the likes of Carder, Bosisto or Hinchcliffe break through into the top order should an injury occur in that timeframe.

Yeah I guess it means he's 100% not in first class plans.

That would be my take on the situation as well.

To be honest as much as I'd love a shield, it would be nice to see the likes of Carder, Bosisto or Hinchcliffe break through into the top order should an injury occur in that timeframe.
Great in theory, but are we a better chance of winning a Shield with Klinger or one of those guys this season, if required?

Realistically? Klinger, IMO.

Begs he question what will happen if both SOS and Cartwright make the test squad which is entirely possible.
Realistically,

Bancroft
Wells
Stoinis
M.Marsh (c)
Turner
Short
Inglis (wk)
NCN
Richardson
Kelly/Moody/Behrendorff if fit
Mackin

If one of NCN or Behrendorff get selected too, which is possible, then Kelly or Moody take their place. An injury to a top 7 batsman would be bad though. Not much depth there after those 7, SOS and Cartwright. Whiteman and Agar are both out injured too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back