sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
WELLINGTON REGIONAL STADIUM
(WESTPAC STADIUM)

1001223_Logo.jpg

The following message has been sent from Andy Radka <andy@abovegroundlevel.com> (IP: 203.97.251.36) via the contact form at BigFooty.

Copyright breach of our imagery
Hi,
We are aware that you have on your site aerial imagery of Westpac Stadium in Wellington NZ, which is not licenced for use. If you wish to continue using this image on your site you will need to purchase a licence. If you do not want to licence this image Please delete the image immediately. We have already invoiced companies for breach of copyright who have downloaded the image from your site. We are in the business of providing imagery for licencing and encourage its use, however like any product, we dont expect it to be stolen. The image in question is :https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/westpac-stadium-wellington-nz.973643/
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Andy Radka
ABOVE Ground Level LTD

Opened: January 3, 2000
Owner: Wellington Regional Stadium Trust
Operator: Wellington Regional Stadium Trust
Capacity: 34,500
Previous names: Westpac Trust Stadium

As most of you know, Wellington will host an AFL game next year. It'll be the first Premiership season match outside of Australia, with the Saints playing Sydney. Over the next three seasons, St Kilda will play five games.

Here's some footage a game of Aussie rules at Westpac. It reminds me a bit of the SCG in terms of size, with the 50 metre arcs pushing near the centre square. In terms of the stands, it has a bit of Waverley about it: Steep, colourful...

!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting looking place, not sure where the Waverley reference comes from - probably the single tier. Looking at that video it appears that the first row of seats is raised rather high. Which makes sense considering the stadiums was designed to host rugby as the main tenant. Field looks a little small for footy, but will hopefully make for0 a more intense game. Also noticed that the video screen is directly behind the goals, most definitely copying both Carrara and Sydney Showgrounds new stadiums.

AFL Playing field approx 152 x 120m, looking at Google Earth
Heard someone say it's about as long as the SCG and about as wide as Etihad Stadium
Looks like it'd be good for footy IMO, and closer than Subiaco!

It's the old problem of rectangular versus oval sports; whether to build separate stadiums for each or general purpose grounds. Not to bag NZ, I have heard it said elsewhere, that most major stadiums in NZ are optimised for "crucket and rigby".

It's the old problem of rectangular versus oval sports; whether to build separate stadiums for each or general purpose grounds. Not to bag NZ, I have heard it said elsewhere, that most major stadiums in NZ are optimised for "crucket and rigby".
Nothing wrong with that really. NZ cricket grounds (shared or specific) are generally smaller than their Australian counterparts. If Aussie Rules takes off in New Zealand they'll all be good at playing on smaller grounds like Westpac is. It's big enough for AFL, it's more we're just used to most of our grounds having a bit more space in them.

Nothing wrong with that really. NZ cricket grounds (shared or specific) are generally smaller than their Australian counterparts. If Aussie Rules takes off in New Zealand they'll all be good at playing on smaller grounds like Westpac is. It's big enough for AFL, it's more we're just used to most of our grounds having a bit more space in them.

Exactly. I don't want to be seen as bagging NZ, it's actually a very sensible solution. Probably the historical reason why the SCG is also on the smallish side too, before the Sydney Football Stadium was built next door, the SCG used to host rectangular sports during the winter months.

Interesting. Yes, it is a bit small for Rules, but so is the SCG, as folks have noted. I know it wouldn't happen because there are not suitable stands, but wouldn't the Basin Reserve provide a bigger area for the game? I'm going from memory here, but it seemed a pretty fair sized ground when I saw a cricket match there years ago.

The Basin is a reasonably circular shape as well, which isnt that surprising given its location. Also, I dont believe the Basin has lighting for night games, and one of the main stands is currently red-stickered and needs major improvements to be up to current earthquake standards. It's also a nightmare to park anywhere near it. Also given that AFL would be in winter, the prospect of sitting on a wet grassy hill is not the most enticing of prospects.

The Caketin is a great little stadium though, you have a decent view from almost any seat and any angle. I've sat in the back rows for cricket and pretty much everywhere else for the A League, it does tend to get a little bit on the western side chilly side when the sun goes down late in the day tho. Great location close to the city and direct access to and from the railway station, its a little bit of a walk but nothing too major.

Any pics of this ground in AFL mode ready for ANZAC Day? I'm heaps disappointed I won't be able to watch it due to my Foxtel-less-ness :(

Doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room between the boundary line and the fence. I hope they're planning on putting a foam barrier in front of the wall, especially behind the goals. They would have a mighty big problem if someone diving to save a goal went head first into that concrete wall or the stairs to access the arena.

Doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room between the boundary line and the fence. I hope they're planning on putting a foam barrier in front of the wall, especially behind the goals. They would have a mighty big problem if someone diving to save a goal went head first into that concrete wall or the stairs to access the arena.
They used to have similar at the SCG if I remember, and there is some along the wing at ANZ. Any photos? This stuff I won't see on the match replay when I can see it online :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back