Roast Wet weather football

It's understandable to some degree given our normal game plan. Basically everything about how we were playing in the dry goes out the window in the wet, they would of been having the free flowing quick kicking game plan forced into their heads all year (the Veruca's & cheats do the same thing). It showed against Freo they couldn't shake it and top to bottom we were poor. I think today we played a lot better wet weather footy, people forget GWS are overall a pretty physically strong side and are being built on contested hard footy, we're on the leaner side compared to a lot of clubs and being built more for a running open game. Poor kicking let us down, was that because of the wet? Maybe but imo we still played the conditions an awful lot better this week than last.

They kicked 14/2 in atrocious conditions. Jagged them from out of their arses. We had 31 scoring shots. We dominated for the most part of the game, but finished poorly. A question, OP, did you watch the game?

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
The last 2 weeks IMO is a result of players believing the media bullshit that got drummed up and at times trying to do more than they are capable of and erring away from what had the media all excited . Being disciplined and maintaining the game plan .

Capitano_Cotch

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Juventus FC
I just think we overuse it far too much in the wet. GWS seemed much more direct when they were in possession of the football, especially in the second half of the match. Also the Inside 50 count is an overrated statistic. Most of those were just bombing it long into the forward line, without any purpose whatsoever, exactly the same as last week. We need to make the most of our forward 50 entries.

TheProwler

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2009
Tassie
AFL Club
Richmond
We're hardly running around with a team of 150 game vets ourselves.

RICH:
Games: 67.3

GWS:
Games: 51.4

Looking at that we are marginally in front but as usual the stats don't tell the whole story. We have what, 3 players max out there today with less than 22 games experience under their belts whilst GWS had perhaps 15 players in the same boat.

Clearly experience in games doesn't have much meaning when it's wet footy otherwise we would have won by a considerably larger margin than we did.

We need to either alter our game style when it's wet or use it more wisely not look to blame it on age/experience.

We'd get absolutely belted by some of the good sides in the wet.
Doesn't overly concern me as we have only just started to play a brand of footy that is competitive in good conditionsEvery game we play like the last 2 will help in the future along with bigger bodies.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
The last 2 weeks IMO is a result of players believing the media bullshit that got drummed up and at times trying to do more than they are capable of and erring away from what had the media all excited . Being disciplined and maintaining the game plan .

Yeah that would be it, nothing at all with weather conditions not favouring a high possie game style

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Good skills are even more damaging in wet weather . Blaming the weather is weak IMO .

i think when its been a deluge like today skills can be overplayed. if its not as wet then i would agree. i still think if we had a better fwd 50 entry plan we would have won both of the last 2 games.just bombing away is not the answer. maybe conners can b that lead up mid fwd.

deliberate!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2003
In Bake Jatchelor's shadow
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Dimma, you better get a Plan B style of football real quick. (It's just going direct in wet weather really)
First couple of inside 50's had Jack leading hard to the pocket boundary in wet weather!! Where the hell are the goals Jack? :rolleyes:

Dimma...you may have a high possession efficient dry weather game style established now, but what if on a Finals Day it is wet? Better teams then Freo and GWS would destroy us.

Better get a Plan B real quick and get the players to implement it on wet days. We (just) got out of jail today.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
i think when its been a deluge like today skills can be overplayed. if its not as wet then i would agree. i still think if we had a better fwd 50 entry plan we would have won both of the last 2 games.just bombing away is not the answer. maybe conners can b that lead up mid fwd.
That's been the problem the last 2weeks IMO Flea we've had a few going back to wanting to do their own thing which has included some very poor inside 50 entries . IIRC the same thing happened when kicking with the wind at Skilled Stadium in the 3rd (?) when players where having shots from the boundary line .

Back