Coaching Footy Wet weather tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi I coach junior football under 10s and it is my first year of coaching as I am only 17 years old anyway I noticed it will be wet tonight at training and wet on Sunday as Well.

Does anyone know any good tactics for the wet and any good drills I can do tonight to get the kids used to the wet?

Hi I coach junior football under 10s and it is my first year of coaching as I am only 17 years old anyway I noticed it will be wet tonight at training and wet on Sunday as Well.

Does anyone know any good tactics for the wet and any good drills I can do tonight to get the kids used to the wet?
play the percentages in the wet, just get the ball forward at all costs but i imagine with under 10s it wouldn't be a heavily game plan influenced type of football. Ball will be on the ground a hell of a lot, plenty of kicks along the ground to get it forward.

As for drills i would try to focus on getting the ground ball skills good, lots of ground ball work, try to get them to be clean on the ground

Most Under 10s aren't very familiar with different approaches for different conditions and seeing as the weather is getting worse by the week it would be incredibly valuable to teach them to not bounce, but to tap the ball on the ground. It's the little things we take for granted now but are incredibly important for young players.
Also, teach them to play man on man. I swear by this and it can really negate the player's opponent's performance, particularly at times when the game is in the balance. Touch and feel, stay within arms reach of them, know where they are.

Good old fashion pie night and early finish.

At 17yrs old young fella I admire your dedication to coach and improving under 10s skills in different weather conditions.

The kids will remember a good old pie night more than anything else at this age. Ask the club for a pie night and go chat to the senior coach and ask for a couple of seniors to show up in club uniform.

I'd imagine it's only going to get wetter and colder down your way soon enough in winter.
Keep your drills the same as dry weather and concentrate on the basics. Some kids adapt to conditions quicker than others.

Good luck for the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back