WFL Whispers 2013.....

Remove this Banner Ad

It is effectively life, as it takes him outside the 16 week deregistration clause in the Vic country laws. He can apply to have his de registration overturned, in which case he would be basically on a final warning, so much as 1 report he's gone no exceptions.

Absolute joke that old mate Weavel only got 1 and 1/2 years!! How can you get away with hitting an umpire? Even if Morris whacked him first, he shouldn't have confronted him in the first place right...
If a player gets ticked off this weekend and hits someone, same result? Very disappointing

Yes the coach should not have confronted the umpire. Also the umpire should not have been abusing Nhill players causing this... however if Weavall got whacked first a man is entitled to self defence whether it is on a footy field or in a dark alleyway. Whether or not this is the real story only those who witnessed it will probably ever know.

It takes two to tango so it was good to see that the official wasnt given immunity and was also held accountable for his part in the mellee. In a photo it is clearly him on top of weavall, would have thought you would be on the bottom if you werent a willing participant!

A sad and limited response from the tribuneral that made $2500 for a few hours work, only said the ban was too harsh not why or what truths came out in the appeal so the real story and facts of what happened is obviously never going to come out.

#$%^ing disgrace. The WFL commission is a joke. The Weasel (sic) has snotted an umpire and gets 18 months. Couldn't give a stuff if Morris started it. He should have got more too.

Time for a mid-season review of early predictions. This was my earlier thought on the final ladder:

Roos
Saints

Demons
Burras
Eagles

Warriors
Tigers
Rats
Diggers
At this point, my final five is on track, even though it was pretty obvious from a long way out.
I wrote off the Demons early, but the development of their youngsters has been outstanding as the season has progressed, and while I stick to my prediction that their premiership run will come to an end this year, they are on track for another GF appearance.
Dimboola have so far lived up to the hype, undefeated, but with key injuries and unavailabilities, don't be surprised if they have their first loss in the return match next weekend against the Demons, who are on a roll.
The Saints have been a disappointment so far, and it looks like I over-rated them. Sure, they have had their injuries, but Dimmy have had them as well and performed, so the fact the Saints haven't is a worrying sign for them. They may yet get their best team on the ground and get some momentum going into the finals, but you get the feeling they are just making up the numbers.
The Burras are the dark-horse, and may yet end up in 3rd position at least, but seem to be a level below the Roos and Demons, with Warrack being about the same. Lack of depth and one or two top-level players hurts them, so they can both dish it up to the best on their day, but cannot maintain the consistency.
I have clearly over-estimated Stawell and the efforts of Nhill have been better than expected.

Revised ladder:

Roos
Demons
Burras

Saints
Eagles

Tigers
Rats
Warriors
Diggers

Nothing surprising, only question is if the Saints or the Burras end up in 3rd.

Time for a mid-season review of early predictions. This was my earlier thought on the final ladder:

Roos
Saints
Demons
Burras
Eagles

Warriors
Tigers
Rats
Diggers
At this point, my final five is on track, even though it was pretty obvious from a long way out.
I wrote off the Demons early, but the development of their youngsters has been outstanding as the season has progressed, and while I stick to my prediction that their premiership run will come to an end this year, they are on track for another GF appearance.
Dimboola have so far lived up to the hype, undefeated, but with key injuries and unavailabilities, don't be surprised if they have their first loss in the return match next weekend against the Demons, who are on a roll.
The Saints have been a disappointment so far, and it looks like I over-rated them. Sure, they have had their injuries, but Dimmy have had them as well and performed, so the fact the Saints haven't is a worrying sign for them. They may yet get their best team on the ground and get some momentum going into the finals, but you get the feeling they are just making up the numbers.
The Burras are the dark-horse, and may yet end up in 3rd position at least, but seem to be a level below the Roos and Demons, with Warrack being about the same. Lack of depth and one or two top-level players hurts them, so they can both dish it up to the best on their day, but cannot maintain the consistency.
I have clearly over-estimated Stawell and the efforts of Nhill have been better than expected.

Revised ladder:

Roos
Demons
Burras
Saints
Eagles

Tigers
Rats
Warriors
Diggers

Nothing surprising, only question is if the Saints or the Burras end up in 3rd.

Text messages flying thick and fast between Horsham Saints players today after reading their coaches comments in the Wimmera Mail Times.

Yeah, comments were calculated to get a reaction. Interesting to see if it results in the players cracking it, or rising to the challenge. Good test for the players leadership group.

Yeah, comments were calculated to get a reaction. Interesting to see if it results in the players cracking it, or rising to the challenge. Good test for the players leadership group.

Hmmmm, maybe. He didn't back their talent and say they needed to work harder, he said they were just not up to it. I can't see how that would be motivating. Not sure it was calculated either, might not be true but I heard the coach left the scene in a huff soon after the game.

Hmmmm, maybe. He didn't back their talent and say they needed to work harder, he said they were just not up to it. I can't see how that would be motivating. Not sure it was calculated either, might not be true but I heard the coach left the scene in a huff soon after the game.

There was only one player (Watson) that came into the minyip social rooms after the game for a drink. Really poor form. Once again Broadbent came out in the papers and gave no respect to opposition. Saints were outplayed and that's why they lost. I'm tipping they will lose four in a row this weekend when they take on Warrack.

There was only one player (Watson) that came into the minyip social rooms after the game for a drink. Really poor form. Once again Broadbent came out in the papers and gave no respect to opposition. Saints were outplayed and that's why they lost. I'm tipping they will lose four in a row this weekend when they take on Warrack.

Why didn't the other players come in?

No idea. The coach didn't show either.

Broadbent has had a great list every year he has coached the saints and never come close to acheiving their full potential as a playing group. A massive underacheiver i believe.

Has a very ordinary record in finals after strong starts to the season often bowing out in straight sets after securing double chances.

I think he is feeling the pressure hence the rubbish in the paper and when you look at his record as coach i think the buck should stop with him, if the saints are serious in their endeavours to ever win a flag in this league getting rid of broadbent sooner rather than later should be a priority. Only my opinion though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How bad is Burkes injury that he picked up early in the rep game on the weekend?
He is fine likely to be right for the weekend. Only against stawell and the bye the folowing week I'm sure he is keen as mustard to stick it up the nhill contingent the next week after the suspension from the other year!!

Broadbent has had a great list every year he has coached the saints and never come close to acheiving their full potential as a playing group. A massive underacheiver i believe.

Has a very ordinary record in finals after strong starts to the season often bowing out in straight sets after securing double chances.

I think he is feeling the pressure hence the rubbish in the paper and when you look at his record as coach i think the buck should stop with him, if the saints are serious in their endeavours to ever win a flag in this league getting rid of broadbent sooner rather than later should be a priority. Only my opinion though!

There is a bit happening!

Yes it appears that Broadbent can't get his side to play as a team, for what looked like a promising start to the season it has turned pear shaped pretty quickly.

At this stage of the season it appears that Dimboola & Horsham are in a class of there own with Min/Murt, Horsham Saints & Warrack the 3 most likely teams to make up the finals.

It's Dimboola's flag to lose though, if you look at there full strength team it has class on every line & after having a taste of finals the past few years they are prime. A Dimboola vs Horsham grand final would be a great spectacle for the fans & would be very surprised if these two teams didn't make it.

Huge Anti-Climax for the Saints this year. Suppose you cannot judge a book by its cover. they had all the names on paper and hyped up in preseason but have come to a crashing holt. Dee's and Dimboola for me. But Dimboola to raise the cup.

Word is there was a dust up at the club between 2 of their senior players that ended up involving the president as well. As for the wheels falling off, not sure they were ever in the same class as Horsham and Dimboola anyway.

Yes i had heard of somthing along the lines of a inclub barny between Butsch and Kelm. No i beleive they had the list of players to be up with Dimboola and Horsham, bar a few players in their Backline. Think its time they obtained a playing coach with a high status and try to keep the list they have got to be a chance in 2014.

Premiers: st micks
Wooden Spooners: United
Tooey Medal: butch
Biggest Improver from '12: Dimmy
Biggest Slider from '12: Warrack
Goal Kicker: Ash Clugston
Most expensive team: Dimmboola
Most under-rated player: Al batchelor
Most over-rated player: ??
Most loyal player in the league: Clinton Midgley
Toughest bloke in the league: Gavin Kelm
Biggest Sook in the league: Beau Nelson