What’s it going to take to keep Luke Jackson?

richskee

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Luke Jackson is shaping up to be a once in a generation superstar player. No doubt, this will be the biggest discussion over the next year or so.

Salary cap is our biggest issue and we all know sometimes you gotta lose a few of the crop in order to keep the superstar.

I suspect there will be a couple of clubs willing to pay overs (1.2m-1.3m) for Jackson, particularly with him being so young. 7+ year contract offers incoming.

So begs the question, what’s it going to cost to keep Luke? Who may have to pack their bags?

It hurts but Imo players that could be pushed are Weids, Ben Brown, maybe a Salem or something. It’s likely we will have to find 1-1.1m per year.

Thoughts?

Frosty getting all upset over nothing. Sounds familiar.

Tomo is an obvious one, if Gus is determined to be paid he is probably another... Melksham, TMac and Hibbo will free up some cap room and likely to be delisted or retired in the next two years.

No doubt some big offers will come for him. If we put 3 year extension in front of him on good coin that takes him to about FA. By then Gawn, Brown, McDonald, maybe May, will be retired or on reduced cash so we'll have more room for him. Will hopefully be a new TV deal in 2023/24 that would probably mean a bigger cap to work with too.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
As much as I rate him if he wants 1m+ a year on this deal I don’t want us to match it. Not blowing up the cap and paying him Petracca/Oliver money on this contract. Put the best deal on the table that we can afford whilst factoring in Oliver’s new deal next year and if he goes chasing more $$$ good luck to him.

As much as I rate him if he wants 1m+ a year on this deal I don’t want us to match it. Not blowing up the cap and paying him Petracca/Oliver money on this contract.

Id keep Jackson over Oliver if I had to choose one with our midfield depth.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Id keep Jackson over Oliver if I had to choose one with our midfield depth.

I can understand that POV but no chance I’d let Oliver walk to keep Jackson. If it was say move Tomlinson and Brayshaw I’m not fussed, but Oliver is a top 5 mid in the game. Jacko could be anything but currently he’s not top 50 in the afl

I can understand that POV but no chance I’d let Oliver walk to keep Jackson. If it was say move Tomlinson and Brayshaw I’m not fussed, but Oliver is a top 5 mid in the game. Jacko could be anything but currently he’s not top 50 in the afl

I wouldnt let him walk, you trade him for picks and let JT do his magic. Ideally id much prefer we keep both.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Luke Jackson is shaping up to be a once in a generation superstar player. No doubt, this will be the biggest discussion over the next year or so.

Salary cap is our biggest issue and we all know sometimes you gotta lose a few of the crop in order to keep the superstar.

I suspect there will be a couple of clubs willing to pay overs (1.2m-1.3m) for Jackson, particularly with him being so young. 7+ year contract offers incoming.

So begs the question, what’s it going to cost to keep Luke? Who may have to pack their bags?

It hurts but Imo players that could be pushed are Weids, Ben Brown, maybe a Salem or something. It’s likely we will have to find 1-1.1m per year.

Thoughts?

What makes you think we have an issue with our salary cap.

We’re not the first club to build a strong list and plenty have held onto their stars.

I assume Jackson will sign a contract that takes him to the free agency period, or just sign a contract for a year or two.

Dude doesn’t look like the sorta campaigner that worries too much about money to me anyway, even way unders on his worth he will still be set for life while winning flags at the best football club in the world, i’m not worried at all.

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
When was the last time you were genuinely worried Toump? Youre a very positive fan
I love Hoges. Not sure what price would have sufficed for me- unless we got Watts back maybe- but May ceetainly wasn’t it. I’ll gladly eat s**t on that one.

I love Hoges. Not sure what price would have sufficed for me- unless we got Watts back maybe- but May ceetainly wasn’t it. I’ll gladly eat s**t on that one.

Good to see youre human and have concerns about the Dees from time to time. :tearsofjoy:

I was pissed when Goody traded Watts, Slick turned out to be the compo so a s**t sandwich to me also.

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
For me, it comes down to whether he have "committed" players like we've previously seen at some other dynasty clubs, who are more than willing to take unders to keep the band together.

Too much early success might rule that out though, which I guess is the comps equalisation at play (guys leaving successful clubs to play for lower teams but on bigger money). If we can keep him for 2 more premierships, he can defect to the cats for all I care (of course I'd boo my heart out).

Hopefully his hunger for success outweighs the hunger for a bigger pay day for a few more years.

I think hell stay for one more contract at least, probably 3 or 4 years. Time for some lovely Melbourne lady to step up and steal his heart to keep him here forever.

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ah yes, another Melbourne accountant knowing exactly what everybody is on
I would have thought it was a perfectly reasonable question given he's close to being out of contract, and incredibly unique and in demand given his age and experience (and the go home factor)

That and there's every chance he's an accountant or some form of money man given he's a dees supporter

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Good to see youre human and have concerns about the Dees from time to time. :tearsofjoy:

I was pissed when Goody traded Watts, Slick turned out to be the compo so a s**t sandwich to me also.

Consider this
Out Watts + Hogan

In: Lever, Fritsch (Watts) 2017,
May, Langdon (Hogan) 2018.

I think that at the end of the day it worked out well.

This is it right here.

Even if Jackson doesnt care about money surely his manager does. Lock him away for 8 years now, and you’re giving up millions if he keeps getting better.

I said in his thread id give him the Trac deal if hes keen to sign it. West Coast and Freo can argue over hm when hes 30.

Consider this
Out Watts + Hogan

In: Lever, Fritsch (Watts) 2017,
May, Langdon (Hogan) 2018.

I think that at the end of the day it worked out well.

Becoming a s**t show in 2019 was the ultimate 4D chess given the draft haul.

Back