Strategy What’s Our Wing Strategy?

Remove this Banner Ad

The dialogue recently suggests the wing position is a sacrificial one.
We haven't had a consistent wingman in our side for yonks.
The only way someone playing that possie in our side, and racking up stats, is if they play back and help out the defence, then once gaining posession, run and carry the pill over the centre line and kick it inside the 50m arc from there.
Otherwise, it's eternally a non-sexy, low profile, publicly unrecognised role.

Duursma's mark was not a sitter. I was sitting about 5 metres away, in solid rain.

The ball was coming down close to vertical. Lights would have had an effect.

He set up perfectly with arms close together, and the soapy ball slipped through.

Under pressure (top tune), and he dropped it.

Get a load of the stats wannabe dissing a player.
Whether it was a dolly or a difficult mark under pressure, you would say a great players marks that and goes back and kicks the goal.

Now, whatever you want to say about the difficulty of the mark, it is about that time that Xavier Duursma went from the most promising, young wingmen in the game to very patchy form riddled with injuries for nigh on three years.

The dialogue recently suggests the wing position is a sacrificial one.
We haven't had a consistent wingman in our side for yonks.
The only way someone playing that possie in our side, and racking up stats, is if they play back and help out the defence, then once gaining posession, run and carry the pill over the centre line and kick it inside the 50m arc from there.
Otherwise, it's eternally a non-sexy, low profile, publicly unrecognised role.
Yes, I have found how to embed youtube videos onto Big Footy.

Whether it was a dolly or a difficult mark under pressure, you would say a great players marks that and goes back and kicks the goal.

Now, whatever you want to say about the difficulty of the mark, it is about that time that Xavier Duursma went from the most promising, young wingmen in the game to very patchy form riddled with injuries for nigh on three years.
I was replying to the "sitter" comment.

Not whether he was a great player.

Farrell had his breakout games playing on the Wing when we first moved him out of the forward line.
I guess we are wanting his leg and precision kicking in cutting through defensive zones coming out of defence though.
Houston's impact is far better off the hbf in this respect as well.

I mentioned about Duurs that we never see him as offering much of an option as an attacking wingman when coming out of packs. If this is an instruction for our wingman as being defacto backmen then someone like a Burgoyne or Bergman could be options as we would be using them more defensively anyway.

I would rather we change how we use them but we have gotten rid of our attack first wingmen over the past few years so I suspect Hinkley doesn't see a lot of use in generating attack via the wings.
Farrell had his breakout games down back against Essendon & Adelaide. He can’t find his own ball. Better keeping him back, he was actually getting better 1on1 defending as the year went on. Still suspect with the hard ball but getting better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back