Strategy What’s Our Wing Strategy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bergman kicking isn’t good.
Georgie field kicking and general decision making around the centre of the ground isn’t any good.
Ken is a *******. He will come up with some stupid idea around not having wings that can kick. Like when he told the team our forward entries should target the boundary line so we can get a stoppage. He’s an idiot.

Yeah I don’t buy the Bergman is a terrible kick thing. I could go at 100% if I chipped the ball 15metres sideways every kick. If I decided to take on long, difficult passes up the guts it would drop to 60% but be a lot more dangerous & productive

Yeah I don’t buy the Bergman is a terrible kick thing. I could go at 100% if I chipped the ball 15metres sideways every kick. If I decided to take on long, difficult passes up the guts it would drop to 60% but be a lot more dangerous & productive
Yeah I don't think he's our best kick, but he's still pretty good. He's in a role where sometimes you have to take a risk by breaking lines, he's not going be successful every time but as long as he's making smart attempts and gets it there most of the time he's playing his role.

Bergman and Farrel make sense as our core wing players, Burgoyne could certainly be an option, Sinn is training with the backs but could still move to wing at some point. Hopefully the Wines and Boak experiments are done with.

I understand the whole Georgiades to wing concept, but in form he's a goal kicker. He's young, he's coming back from a knee, from a year where he was out of form, just let the guy come back and kick goals. I'd rather throw Burton or Finlayson on a wing if it came to that

Bergman and Burton are my preferred options now they can be spared from defence. Nice kicks, good height and capable overhead, seems to have good mix of attacking and defensive attributes, good leg speed. One of the reasons I'm bullish regarding our chances in 2024 and why trading in a couple of tall defenders makes sense.

I think the most important aspect of the wing strategy is put in a couple of talented blokes in there. It looks like Bergman is going to get one wing so we get a big tick there and the other side, I would like to see an up and comer, fast type like Jase Burgoyne, a young fella with some real skill, speed and good one on one work. A couple of blokes with some attacking flair.

It would be great if the wingers are more offensive as they will be able to really help out our star midfield and with rucks coming in, the entire midfield could be more exciting than we actually think. It would just be great to have some real width and hard run into the F50 which we have missed for quite a while.

I am absolutely confused at what you're trying to prove with the disposals per clanger stat?

Because you then go on to say he's not a good user of the ball?

Like, I don't understand what the argument is there.

Cool, he kicked well in a one-game sample size. Like I said, hopefully he improves his kicking if he's going to be playing wing.

Bergman vs Collingwood - 14 disposals, 71.4% DE for 405 meters gained
Bergman vs Adelaide - 13 disposals, 76.9% DE for 293 meters gained
Missed Geelong game due to illness
Bergman vs GWS - 15 disposals, 80% DE for 376 meters gained
Bergman vs Fremantle - 15 disposals, 86.7% DE for 230 meters gained

Four game stretch, Bergman went at 14.25 disposals per game, 78.75% DE for 326 meters gained, and actually improved his efficiency every game. So it's not like he can't kick. His main issue is that he will kick long to grass when there isn't a viable option and rack up poor efficiency stats because of that.

If Bergman playing wing is our biggest problem, we don't have any.

Bergman vs Collingwood - 14 disposals, 71.4% DE for 405 meters gained
Bergman vs Adelaide - 13 disposals, 76.9% DE for 293 meters gained
Missed Geelong game due to illness
Bergman vs GWS - 15 disposals, 80% DE for 376 meters gained
Bergman vs Fremantle - 15 disposals, 86.7% DE for 230 meters gained

Four game stretch, Bergman went at 14.25 disposals per game, 78.75% DE for 326 meters gained, and actually improved his efficiency every game. So it's not like he can't kick. His main issue is that he will kick long to grass when there isn't a viable option and rack up poor efficiency stats because of that.

If Bergman playing wing is our biggest problem, we don't have any.
Dude, you're the one who said you didn't want him in the backline because you think he's not one of our best users, now you're trying to say he's one of our best users?

I don't know why I got roped into a Janus stats battle, because you'll waste so much of your time looking for stats, trying to cherry pick whatever you can to suit your argument. It's bizarre.

But cool, I'm glad you have faith in him. Like I said, I hope he improves his kicking if he moves to the wing as well. You're arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

It’s a very very easy decision. Farrell and Bergman. Doubt it needs much discussion at all.
Both of which are 10x better than Wines and Duursma in the same role.

It will likely be Bergman and Farrell to start with but unless Farrell had built the tank in the off season, I'd rather push time on the wing for Burgoyne. At least that should be a 3 man rotation. Burton could play as a wingman but nothing has suggested he's had enough exposure in the spot, unless we play him as a defensive / sweeper winger

I'll take anyone but Wines at this point. Terrible idea.

Bergman will get a solid run at it. That was clearly the preferred plan this year, but he kept being needed to plug holes in defence so didn't get a proper go. The other spot I think will rotate more. But I'd love someone like Burgoyne to get first crack and just take it for the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burger, ribs and wings!

Would be great if he follows father's footsteps. Needs a bit of his father's attacking flair and cheeky dare, besides the extra weight and No7 though. Seems super talented but has played very safe and hasn't been an impact player, so far.

Good on Jase, 5kg is a good start for him
He showed a bit of class and poise in his first season to suggest he is a talent
Struggled this season, played in 3 losses woods, Carlton & Geelong
Got a bit of form up in the last 2 games
Hope he has a big season & his brother comes on
By god we need some decent father sons asap

Stinkers Wings strategy is he likes Band on the Run better than Jet because it reminds him of Septembers.

However he said he's never heard the songs himself but a bloke from Geelong said they were good.

Stinkers Wings strategy is he likes Band on the Run better than Jet because it reminds him of Septembers.

However he said he's never heard the songs himself but a bloke from Geelong said they were good.
Septembers is finals and finals are scary.

We need to ensure we always keep a hole in at least one part of our list so that there is an excuse for failure.
Trading Duursma for Zerk-Thatcher was the exact opposite of this statement. Duursma has done * all for three years ever since he dropped that sitter mark against Richmond. We won’t have a tough time replacing him.

We were, however, having difficulty developing any sort of key defenders that could play our system…which is probably why Bassett got the boot. I can’t name one defender that he has helped develop in his time at the club, while Adelaide seem to churn them out at will.

Burgoyne is the answer to one wing and Kane Farrell is the logical choice for the other, IMO. :100:

Trading Duursma for Zerk-Thatcher was the exact opposite of this statement. Duursma has done * all for three years ever since he dropped that sitter mark against Richmond. We won’t have a tough time replacing him.

We were, however, having difficulty developing any sort of key defenders that could play our system…which is probably why Bassett got the boot. I can’t name one defender that he has helped develop in his time at the club, while Adelaide seem to churn them out at will.
Duursma's mark was not a sitter. I was sitting about 5 metres away, in solid rain.

The ball was coming down close to vertical. Lights would have had an effect.

He set up perfectly with arms close together, and the soapy ball slipped through.

Under pressure (top tune), and he dropped it.

Get a load of the stats wannabe dissing a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back