What’s the worst trade your club has ever made?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not bothered by Lewis, Mitchell, or Hodge. Or Buddy.

Irks me more that Hill left, but he had good reasons.

I think Hawk supporters are somewhat satiated. We are having our cigarette and fifteen minutes of clear thinking.... that will end very soon.

Funnily enough I feel the exact opposite.
Didn't mind Hill leaving. Won 3 flags, was still young and just wanted to go home and play with his brother.
Lewis and Mitchell left while I was overseas and only getting some basic social media reaction made it seem so surreal. Was so strange to come home and know it was a reality when pre season started and they were trotted out in new colours all over the news.
And the Buddy thing.. well... flogging them in that granny helped. But still to this day can remember the rage I felt when I read the breaking news that he was off to Sydney instead of GWS.

Don't want to pick on other clubs too much but the Saints traded pick 12 for some spud a few years back. Tom Lee was it? Bizarre.
To be fair they got some reasonable picks back with him.

If you want to have a crack at the Saints have a look at Barry Brooks for picks 6 and 31.

Funnily enough I feel the exact opposite.
Didn't mind Hill leaving. Won 3 flags, was still young and just wanted to go home and play with his brother.
Lewis and Mitchell left while I was overseas and only getting some basic social media reaction made it seem so surreal. Was so strange to come home and know it was a reality when pre season started and they were trotted out in new colours all over the news.
And the Buddy thing.. well... flogging them in that granny helped. But still to this day can remember the rage I felt when I read the breaking news that he was off to Sydney instead of GWS.

Yeah.. it is probably only in retrospect i am relaxed. If Sydney beat us then it would be very very hard to accept.

I think i believed we would get better when Buddy left. And i felt a bit guilty taking Gunston off of the Crows, and i knew he was/would be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We traded 21,26,37 and this years 2nd round (early 20s) for West Coasts first round pick this year currently around 16-18 and pick 50 last year. Yay us. The bloke who made the trade is now with West Coast. Hmmmmm.
At the time I thought it was a great trade to get your hands on another 1st rounder in a good draft as the Eagles looked possible bottom 6/7, but not that trade is just yuck

shotgun williams wasn't that bad if you look at it properly

We traded Lovett for 16
Sent 16, 42 and Jay Nash out and received Williams, 24 and 33

24 got us Carlisle
33 unfortunately wasted on Anthony Long (Gawn was the next pick)

Carlisle ended up netting us Francis & Morgan.

So, with better drafting Andy Lovett could have been Williams (4 games), Colyer, Gawn, Francis and Bonner.
That's two highly touted defenders, an elite ruck and a decent running wingman when he doesnt have the fumbles.

Potentially could have landed JPK & McGlynn from the hawks instead of Williams, given how cheaply they went.
Imagine Lovett into JPK, McGlynn, Colyer, Gawn, Francis and Bonner.
Jobe & JPK together would have been epic.

Worst trade has to be losing Jenkins for a 10 spot upgrade from early 4th rd to late 3rd rd, or whatever it was.

2000, Trading pick 12 to Port for Matthew Bode, pick 12 (Shaun Burgoyne)

On the flip side we made out like bandits in the Melksham and Hibberd trades, both have been excellent for us and are walk up starts, costing us a second round pick each, they would certainly count as poor value trades from an Essendon POV.

I wouldn’t say the first season (didn’t play) and first half of the second season of Melksham were excellent. It looked like a real bust at that stage as he flipped between the VFL and AFL as a struggling half back flanker.

His 33 goals in 21 games from round 12 2017 has turned it around but it could flip the other way again.

Seems early to call Melksham, but happy to call Hibberd a big win already.

Stef Martin for a junk pick was a stinker. That was a “cut off your nose to spite your face” move from Neeld because Neeld thought Martin was soft. Martin showed the form at Melbourne in glimpses when he rucked entire games that he has consistently shown at Brisbane too so it wasn’t a surprise.

Went all out that year.

Pick 6 for Rawlings effectively, via the Veale Meal Deal.

That trade ended up a disaster all round. Hawthorn on traded the pick for Danny Jacobs who was s**t for them and I believe Essendon then wasted the pick on Kepler Bradley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back