What’s the worst trade your club has ever made?

Remove this Banner Ad

brock was shot by the time he arrived, and the game had gone past him.

I do think we missed out on talia because of it. Perhaps that rare Lose lose trade.
You could have selected Thalia but who knows. We kick ourselves over Mundy but we could just as easily have picked some spud. Better not to torture yourself.

One that sticks out for me is jordy McMahon for pick 18 I think. Only thing he ever did for the tigers was kick the winning goal against Melbourne that cost us a priority pick 1. The kicker is the dogs used pick 18 to draft callan ward.

Then we used Cal Ward compo pick for Macrae.......McMahon<Macrae

One that sticks out for me is jordy McMahon for pick 18 I think. Only thing he ever did for the tigers was kick the winning goal against Melbourne that cost us a priority pick 1. The kicker is the dogs used pick 18 to draft callan ward.

You mean the goal against Melbourne right? If you look at how both teams have progressed since, McMahon ensured you had a culture of wanting to win instead of not,even if you struggled sometimes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean the goal against Melbourne right? If you look at how both teams have progressed since, McMahon ensured you had a culture of wanting to win instead of not,even if you struggled sometimes
Don’t think we’ve ever been a “tanking” team, we were just really poor over a number of years and I don’t think a win or loss in that game made any difference. We would have drafted scully to go along with dusty who you’d think would have been handy but all’s well that ends well. Was a shocking trade to get him however.

2009 trade period, apparently the group that was going to tip us over the edge to steal a flag in 2010 after winning a final in 2009- OOPS!

Andrew Rains, Brent Staker, Amon Buchanan, Xavier Clarke, Brendan Fevola.

You gave us pick 12 and Henderson for Fev as well...hendo a promising key forward at the time, recently drafted pick 8.

These days pretty much no player would go for picks 8 and 12 in a straight swap.

Fev was being kicked out of Carlton as well pretty much so Brisbane had the leverage.

On the flip side we made out like bandits in the Melksham and Hibberd trades, both have been excellent for us and are walk up starts, costing us a second round pick each, they would certainly count as poor value trades from an Essendon POV.
Melksham never came close to looking like a good player with us, we were very happy to let him go for a second round pick. Losing Hibberd hurt a little more although at the time we seemed to think the Melksham deal the year before softened the blow a bit. Anyway, definitely far from the worst trades we've ever made. That would easily go to the shotgun williams trade, the Ryder deal being a close second

Wayne Carey for picks 2 and 18

like what the actual f**k? He was what? 30 at the time?

Crazy since there was no way he was ever going to play another game at North.

You gave us pick 12 and Henderson for Fev as well...hendo a promising key forward at the time, recently drafted pick 8.

These days pretty much no player would go for picks 8 and 12 in a straight swap.

Fev was being kicked out of Carlton as well pretty much so Brisbane had the leverage.
giphy.gif

I’d forgotten about that one

Pick 18 on its own would have been cutting it fine but to give away pick 2 was bizarre considering not only his age but the fact that he’d been out of the game for a year
In our defence
We thought it was pick 4
Then Carlton went and lost their first 2 draft picks.

Wellers for the pick that was Grundy is our worst in recent times can argue we slightly over pay but we seem to get good value out of our trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back