What’s the worst trade your club has ever made?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wellingham played well in 2015, without him we wouldn't have made the Grand Final.

Obviously entered a rapid decline in the following two years but this is far from the worst trade we have ever made.
Which would you say are worse? I can't think of any standouts.

Redden for 21 was looking pretty bad until about a month ago.

The Ebert trade was woeful (we traded him for a 3rd->2nd round upgrade, 45->28), but we were kinda bent over a barrel given he was intent on leaving and his family history at Port goes back about 14,000 games and I think 9 or 10 generations to the late 1700s.

Trading Leigh Tudor and his resultant mung punt in the 1994 prelim probably cost us the flag.

It was insane in the end, but at the time you get the rationale behind it.

Fev - Talent exceeded his output and his off-field issues prevented that. If things had gone well off-field and managed, would've kicked a stack of goals.

Staker - Decent key defender on his day, probably gambled on health.

Buchanan - Okay crumber without being too flash. Proven at senior level.

Clarke - Talented but never followed through.

Raines - Meh, tagger at best.

I feel we've learned the wrong things from Crazy Vossy's adventures.

It's okay to take one or maybe two risks over two years on a player (Geelong, North, Hawks etc - modern times have numerous examples), but five in one off-season is completely mad.

Four of those five moves had merit at the time in isolation.

His problem wasn't just they didn't come off, they also came all at once. Just s**t management in terms of staggering the risk.
What was fevs final stuff up in Brisbane?

Meh Yarran was worse
S. Maxfield for me.

Instrumental in starting the Bloods culture they talk about and going on to Captain the Swans, would have loved to have seen this influence used at Richmond.

2001 might have been a different year, or it might not have been, but I loved watching him play!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the dim dark days of 1980, Saints pick Russell Greene (my fave player then, at the age of 10) in the Rd 9 team and then some time later that night trade him to Hawthorn for Mark Scott and Tony King (it was a trading free for all back then). It was all over the papers the following morning and I was too young to understand why my hero was playing for another team just like that, I remember being totally sad and confused...

Those feelings only got worse as years went on and Greene won numerous flags, won B&Fs and AA honours and captained Victoria, whilst Scott played 34 games (admittedly for 100+ goals) before being traded to Fitzroy and King played 4 games and was gone by the following season...

Still sad and confused...

Probably Betts for Thomas.

I know it wasn't a direct trade, but we didn't want to pay Eddie so we could afford Thomas. So essentially pushed him out to get Thomas.

Hear that Eddie has done alright since.

How about Swans trading future AFL hall of fame star Wayne Carey and John Longmire to North Melbourne for a measly $60,000 cash?
Can this really be topped?

Warwick Capper going to Brisbane for a record transfer $400,000 only to have the VFL abolish the transfer fee the following year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back