slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
I’m sick to death of people saying ‘he’s injured’

What is the injury then? Hard knocks? If it is, don’t play him.

He certainly doesn’t have a torn ACL or Achilles?

Injuries are no excuse for poor set shot kicking at crucial times during games.

Champion in the past or not, he is poorly out of form and continues to be a 2020 Brock McLean.
Look at the strapping - usually signs of where injuries are being managed. Cripps has been managing both a knee and shoulder issue at various stages....in addition to the regular corkies and knocks he plays through week after week. He's got injuries a player can play through - but it does limit their ability to play to their normal level.

I remember watching him play out a VFL game with a broken leg....such is his character. I'd guess if we werent a finals chance, we would have parked him for rehab 3-4 weeks ago.

RedFury

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
While the injury thing may have some relevance, I'm almost 100% positive that he's also being instructed/coached differently which is contributing to his issues. Where he used to always look to draw 1/2/3 opposition players then stand up in the tackle and get a great handball out to a free teammate, he now seems to want to give those 3 players the "don't argue" and run out of the stoppage himself.

It works very rarely, and when it does he might even manage a freak "goal of the year" contender like yesterday, but he is getting a lot of HTB or just losing the contest because of it. Whoever is coaching him to do this is not helping his career at all imo. It seems to be more emulating the way a Dustin Martin type plays and he ain't Dusty as much as he or our coaches may want him to be. Cripps may have the strength but he doesn't have the awareness, fend-off timing or foot skills that Martin has to play that style. In fact nobody in the competition except Dusty can really do that the way he does.

Navy_Blue91

Debutant
Sep 27, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if you've watched much footy .... its got all the symptoms of playing with a groin injury. As an Eagles supporter I've seen it with Judd & Cox, a very debilitating injury, effectively Cripps could have been rested for the season after a couple of weeks, but like other genuine champions their worst is better than most of the rest.
If he has a groin injury, let say an adductor tendinopathy, he should NOT be playing.

Overload/stress on the tendon > leads to stress reactions on the bone > Osteitis Pubis.

The club should not be playing him if he is half baked. I'm backing in the medical team in this instance that he is fit to play.

However, my point is that there are no excuses for his poor form based on:

A) Being captain
B) Highest paid player on the list
C) Holding the club to ransom by not re-signing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Fantom

Senior List
Jun 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
If he has a groin injury, let say an adductor tendinopathy, he should NOT be playing.

Overload/stress on the tendon > leads to stress reactions on the bone > Osteitis Pubis.

The club should not be playing him if he is half baked. I'm backing in the medical team in this instance that he is fit to play.

A) Being captain
Holding the club to ransom? Ha ha ha... that’s the best one you’ve come up with...

You know there’s another 17 clubs you can barrack for?

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1

A) Being captain
I felt that way about Juddy but he was captain & they were reigning Premiers.
The reality is the clubs want their best players out there.

Its not an excuse, more reality.

Aphrodite

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

A) Being captain

Holding the Club to ransom. :rolleyes:

How so he's contracted until end of 2021.

Top Bottom