What’s up with Cripps?

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Was this comment supposed to be the “I told you so moment”?

Shall I re-quote your post in 3 months when he still hasn’t re-committed?

That excerpt about contract is all spin. It’s speculative.

All that I extracted from that paragraph was that Sam Edmund was ‘assuming’ Cripps would re-sign. Like we all are. But he hasn’t. In the mean time we had 10 re-signings.

Contract signings are black and white. If you were offered a lucrative long term contract extension at your particular job that you apparently ‘love’, would you even have a second thought at signing that deal?

Irrespective of whatever reason Edmund has given for prolonging contract talks. The sticking point with contracts is always about money. Agent/Cripps still aren’t happy with the money.

The article was about Cripps’ rotator cuff repair which is accuratethe rest of it is rubbish.

The longer talks are drawn out, the more we have knuckle head blokes like Kane Cornes saying that ‘Cripps should leave’

You need to wait until he re-signs before making an ‘I told ya so post’

Notice how at our club and right across the league, barely if any big names are signing on?

You said that we had 10 re-signings as if it's some kind of baseline to query why Cripps hasn't signed on because they have. All of them were stock standard, no fuss contracts for mostly our middle of the road, ensemble cast. The players who have to sit and wait for full clarity are the big ones because they and the clubs want to know how much they can be paid.

Think of the current TPP and list size as a bell curve... those in the middle, where the bulk of players are will be re-signed and hold their list spots because it doesn't have a large baring on anything really. They are probably going to get similar money regardless and they were never of chance of being cast adrift by their clubs.

Now the other ends of the curve is where all the action is. Fringe players in the 'first percentile' of standard deviation if you like, are the ones who are more likely to be cut but need to await clarification on list sizes. None of them are being signed up. On the other end of the curve, we have the more 'important' pieces. These guys are always going to be on good money, but how much is yet to be ascertained. Neither party wants to commit to a number, because nobody knows how big the pie even is. This is where the most of the slack or action is to be had and why it's a hold up. Look at the players mentioned; Doc and Cripps (captains and best players) as well as McKay, who is most certainly in line for a pay scale and extension.

Around the league it's the same. Absolutely no movement on Jeremy Cameron et al.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
he is sulking and dragging his feet, no doubt about that.

hope he enjoys himself in the break and can come back refreshed. looks like carrying us for the past 4 years has finally got to him.

the constant insecure worrying about Cripps going to WA is akin to the constant insecure worry we had about Gibbs going to SA. Eventually it did happen and it was a bad move by Bryce.

Richmond had the same fears with Deledio and he eventually pulled the pin and it couldn't have been a worse move.

Reality is by the time we are a finals-hardened mentally mature side Cripps will be what, 29? He will stick around but he needs to be patient.

The two elephants in the room here are:

1. Cripps may well know his body wont make it to 30.
2. His home life / LT girlfriend looks like complicating the situation

Feel that if both those issues were non issues Cripps would likely stay a one club player.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham

Feel that if both those issues were non issues Cripps would likely stay a one club player.
Number 2 is the big one

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps may well know his body wont make it to 30.
Name the 25 year old who doesn't think they're going to live forever. Name the footballer who thinks the end is coming. Cripps could be the most sensible person to have ever lived, but he's immersed in the rest of the culture like the rest of us, and there's no give there. He will not be thinking of his body, or his longevity; he has a manager and a physio to think of that for him.

Most young blokes are about the sport, even when they're injured. They don't think of what the injuries mean long term, only how they can be overcome to let them get back out there again.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Kwality is old school, and doesn't like the modern proliferation of statistics based football analysis. Eye test and all that.

Spot on, am frightened of the paralysis of analysis. Its a road to nowhere.

Get well Crippa, go home & do the rehab with Elliot Yeo.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Haven't delved too deeply into this thread, but isn't the shoulder surgery that Cripps had the same one that Oliver had on both shoulders at the end of 2018?
He came back pretty strong from that. There was a 2-3 week gap between each shoulder. Not sure when he actually had the surgery, but was reported mid-late Sept that he was booked in and reported early Feb 2019 that he was just getting back into main training and would be ready for round 1 (which he played in) and then got 44 touches in round 2.

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Haven't delved too deeply into this thread, but isn't the shoulder surgery that Cripps had the same one that Oliver had on both shoulders at the end of 2018?
He came back pretty strong from that. There was a 2-3 week gap between each shoulder. Not sure when he actually had the surgery, but was reported mid-late Sept that he was booked in and reported early Feb 2019 that he was just getting back into main training and would be ready for round 1 (which he played in) and then got 44 touches in round 2.
I’m hoping Cripps ‘21 is like Dusty ‘17

Sep 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
65530e368cff5823c0331194b7e48fe5.jpg

Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
65530e368cff5823c0331194b7e48fe5.jpg

Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Crazy to think that Cripps was sitting on 18 votes after Round 10 last year and the team started 1-9. Fyfe, the eventual winner, was on 17 votes and Dangerfield was on 10 votes by the end of Round 10 and they were in the top 2 with Cripps rounding out the top 3 at the end of the night. Lachie Neale had 15 votes and Dusty Martin had 7 votes at the end of Round 10. Cripps beat them all playing in a team that was 1-9 by that stage of the night.

If he plays his best football when Carlton start winning games and that is right around the corner, there is a Brownlow Medal in his future. When he is on top form, there is no one in this competition I would rather have than him.

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

There is absolutely no way west coast can offer him more money in the short term or the long term.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's just hope he signs a long term deal soon.
If he only signs a 2 year deal he's most likely gone.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's just hope he signs a long term deal soon.
If he only signs a 2 year deal he's most likely gone.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Why's that. Already signed for 2021 so another 2 would be till the end of 2023 (three years from now). Hardly gone. Might be his way of checking that we are moving forward and upwards.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Why's that. Already signed for 2021 so another 2 would be till the end of 2023 (three years from now). Hardly gone. Might be his way of checking that we are moving forward and upwards.
100% agree. Way I see it, he will sign a 2 year extension till the end of 2023, and if we're still a basket case and unable to be pushing for a flag and playing finals, he will probably then pack up bags and return to WA to play out rest of his career, and I couldn't begrudge him one bit for that.
If we're still in the wilderness by the end of 2023, something is fundamentally wrong with this club.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
100% agree. Way I see it, he will sign a 2 year extension till the end of 2023, and if we're still a basket case and unable to be pushing for a flag and playing finals, he will probably then pack up bags and return to WA to play out rest of his career, and I couldn't begrudge him one bit for that.
If we're still in the wilderness by the end of 2023, something is fundamentally wrong with this club.
Agree With you too, certainly can’t begrudge him for pursuing personal interest at some point, Cripps has given the very best of his carrier to the Baggers end 2022, covered some incredibly unstable shaky tough ground with the team.
I can only admire his steady professional and mature application and attitude to his role as a team member.

Psychochook

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Captaincy is a one man gig.

Doc is more of a coach (very Adam Simpson like).

Make Cripps the sole captain.

It'll increase his value even more when the inevitable happens.

Enjoy our borrowed time people, Cripps leaving is a very likely reality. I just wish he was headed to Fremantle. They are more likely to have what we would want in return and more likely to be primed for the success Cripps will deserve.

My thoughts, just gonna dump and run.

JeSOS

Senior List
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Captaincy is a one man gig.

Doc is more of a coach (very Adam Simpson like).

Make Cripps the sole captain.

It'll increase his value even more when the inevitable happens.

Enjoy our borrowed time people, Cripps leaving is a very likely reality. I just wish he was headed to Fremantle. They are more likely to have what we would want in return and more likely to be primed for the success Cripps will deserve.

My thoughts, just gonna dump and run.

Run Forrest run. Don't look back.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I reckon he'll hold 17 up in due course.

And one of the ways we'll get there is him realising he doesn't need to do it all himself.

He legit should call Trent Cotchin or Luke Hodge for a mentoring session. Just shoot the sh!t and get some ideas, perspective.

Back