What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Very concerned with Crippas form over the past year or so. He seems to talk a big game too for someone who hasn’t really done anything yet and has some glaring flaws in his game. Harsh, yes, but i find it irritating. The coaches seem to be more interested in keeping him happy than giving him a rocket, but maybe that’s the modern player for ya.

It’s hard to see why he has declined so glaringly but if he’s playing injured, he’s doing himself and the team a major disservice. I sincerely hope the bloke turns it around but at this point it feels like some harsh criticism both internally and externally would do him some good.
It was clear to me, when we did some fun contest of top rated Carlton players in our lifetime that Crippa was getting overrated here. He's a wonderfully strong midfielder and love his top side of his game but people seem to think he could be some player that could play key forward too, simply because he is so big, but having seen it a number of times now, he just not that type of player. It stood out in St.Kilda practice game a few weeks back that with no McKay on field Crippa actually tried to play key forward almost half the night. When the ball was up other end to where I was sitting, with similar height you could at times confuse between Silvagni and Crippa but the difference was clear after a while as Silvagni played like a forward and would mark like one, Crippa just struggles as he might have the height but he does not have the forward craft. Plus, like Levi, even when Crippa has shots he just is nowhere near reliable enough. He is a midfielder and nothing more. Also if he going to play on back of the opposition ruckman he sometimes going to lose his footing like he did last night and cost us a goal. He's a gun midfielder but he does have his strength and weaknesses.

Concentrate on his strengths and play to them in midfield. A two minute stint forward a couple of times a game, I do not mind but him 10 minutes at a time plonked forward is robbing Peter to pay Paul but ending up stealing from Peter and Paul at same time.

Our coaching staff have a lot to answer for of continue to do same things when seen they do not work.
We can be an excellent side if we ever have Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay and Jack Silvagni as three marking forward with three smaller skillful types around them and Crippa bursting through the midfield passing it on to those smaller guys on the burst or other mids streaming forward.
But if we are going to continue the silliness of playing two of Levi, Crippa and McGovern in forward 50 for big chunks of game we are going to be middle of ladder side at best.

Work on your strengths Crippa and you could be a co-captain in a successful team but at moment, he is being used in dumb ways and he as a leader should give feedback to coaches when s**t not working out.

Last edited:

sparkyblue

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
We aren't a drilled team that plays totaalvoetbal though, which we'd need to be to make this work - think richmond's defensive running to cover for dusty.

Don't think we have the personel for it either tbh, need to be team first and have good positional awareness

I don’t think we do either. We would have likely gone for different targets in the offseason if that was what they were thinking too. If you’re looking to cover Crippa, one of Walsh or Williams won’t be at the majority of centre bounces in favour of a more defensive, positionally aware, quick, tackling type.

BAZZMAN

Debutant
Oct 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
He is sick of carlton not winning games of footy
we promise but don't deliver on game day
To many passengers
players getting games when they should't be due to lack of form

His main asset as a football player is size/strength in the contest as a 195cm midfielder. Trying too hard to be someone he is not which is detracting from what he is good at.

Stick to being the best inside midfielder in the competition, and if keen to expand game, develop some forward craft.

Don't bother with the faux explosive stuff, not his game. Back to fundamentals.
Just getting started in this thread... and I agree... back to fundamentals. We are trying to play a tempo style of football that hasn't been worked out and trained on properly yet. We don't know when to shift from a fast tempo to a slow tempo. What I saw against Richmond, at times, is the type of football we should be playing. A stop/start tempo with a fast spread on the break. Look up and identify your next target in the mid distance range and hit them on the chest. Then against the filth, we tried to go high speed break tempo all the time. And it didn't work.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Which is? Not sure for mine. Mobility, lack of defensive appetite and foot skills seem to reduce him to being on ball at the contest. When we moved him out of the middle in the third quarter last night, we got back in the game. If he’s to be our contested beast, the entire midfield structure needs to be set up to cover his deficiencies but we’re not setup for that. I’m stumped at this point.
Can't have Dow and Cripps on the field at the same time. Oppo will always have two extra at the fall of the ball.

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
He plays like he's tormented of late, it shows in some undisciplined acts at crucial times with careless and late tackles.
at 25-26 he sees himself as a successful sportsperson, and rightfully so. Perhaps he doesn't believe the club can satiate his appetite for this.
There's no doubt his manager would be feeding him private conversations and perhaps western clubs feel they have a list that complements his talents better
That along with "overs" , the temptation of greener grass elsewhere is tempting, He had/has partner issues, that may or may not be resolved also.

The compromise of living away from home is tempered with success as a price for same. When it doesn't come on your timeline, Temptation is a hard battle. Just ask Lids from the tigers.

as long as the clubs needs are fulfilled, we can do a Judd 2.0 in reverse this time

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
He plays like he's tormented of late, it shows in some undisciplined acts at crucial times with careless and late tackles.
at 25-26 he sees himself as a successful sportsperson, and rightfully so. Perhaps he doesn't believe the club can satiate his appetite for this.
There's no doubt his manager would be feeding him private conversations and perhaps western clubs feel they have a list that complements his talents better
That along with "overs" , the temptation of greener grass elsewhere is tempting, He had/has partner issues, that may or may not be resolved also.

The compromise of living away from home is tempered with success as a price for same. When it doesn't come on your timeline, Temptation is a hard battle. Just ask Lids from the tigers.

as long as the clubs needs are fulfilled, we can do a Judd 2.0 in reverse this time
No one is sacred if the deal is right. Lots of great athletes across sports have been traded. If the return is right then... let’s go. I’d prefer a trade than compo though. Compo brings in another young prospect who needs development, a principle that doesn’t exude confidence.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Patrick Cripps, that captain of the Carlton Football Club, has played in only 31 AFL games where we've won. Now that's sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we are getting j Kennedy back?

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Bad call.

Unnecessary call.

Disrespectful call.
Nope.

He's been sulking, whingeing to umpires and dragging his feet for ages now. His body language is often poor unless things are going his way. Adelaide game last year was a massive one among other examples.

His recent podcasts show that he's not short of confidence - which is great - but he's in a form slump that's lasted over 12 months now.

Needs to improve both as a leader and a player if we are to move forward.

Not everything is rosy with our leadership.

Last edited:
He is sick of carlton not winning games of footy
we promise but don't deliver on game day
To many passengers
players getting games when they should't be due to lack of form

I get that, but when we have disappointing losses after having our hopes built up, part of the reason is usually that Cripps had had a mediocre night. He has to be up and about for others to join him and give us a chance. It's what a captain does.

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I get that, but when we have disappointing losses after having our hopes built up, part of the reason is usually that Cripps had had a mediocre night. He has to be up and about for others to join him and give us a chance. It's what a captain does.
LOL.

Is that why we have 2 captains? couldn't make the call on one or the other?
so we did a dorito's lol

LOL.

Is that why we have 2 captains? couldn't make the call on one or the other?
so we did a dorito's lol

No. One is a lead by example motivational type and the other is an articulate coaching type. They were both deserving.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Home life might be having an affect as well, the documented things from last year might be lingering.
And if his partner has it set in her mind that she want/needs to go home she won't be changing it with OCD.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Home life might be having an affect as well, the documented things from last year might be lingering.
if i was a betting man, looking for some inside, to lay a bet. The answer would reside there, I'm sure

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
if i was a betting man, looking for some inside, to lay a bet. The answer would reside there, I'm sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back