Remove this Banner Ad

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Seems a completely crazy PR announcement designed to protect him from the Monday night footy shows which would have gone hard at him, now alll they have done is put in question the clubs entire medical departments competence.

RiCHii

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2005
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Man United
Didn't seem to have any issue in the first half of the Richmond game. Was running through blokes like they weren't even there. I just think that the new rules have hurt Cripps because he isn't the quickest bloke getting around and he is finding it hard to adapt and cope with the speed of the game. In saying this champions learn to adapt and keep up with the game, and with Cripps' mindset and determination I have no doubt he will learn to work a way to become a force within the new rules.

I don't buy this mystery injury and injections BS. The club buying time for him to adapt to the speed of the game. It will happen. Don't write him off.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

The part in Monique’s post where she doesn’t want to name and shame the person really speaks volumes to the kind of person she is. Patrick is lucky to have her.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely you don’t risk damaging your best asset for 4-6 weeks at the start of the season. Terrible call if it is as simple as that, don’t believe everything in the media though.
Spoke to someone on the weekend who is a pretty close contact of Crippas family, said his back is cooked. Didn't elaborate much further, said it was bad though.

Was adamant it wasn't OP.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Didn't seem to have any issue in the first half of the Richmond game. Was running through blokes like they weren't even there. I just think that the new rules have hurt Cripps because he isn't the quickest bloke getting around and he is finding it hard to adapt and cope with the speed of the game. In saying this champions learn to adapt and keep up with the game, and with Cripps' mindset and determination I have no doubt he will learn to work a way to become a force within the new rules.

I don't buy this mystery injury and injections BS. The club buying time for him to adapt to the speed of the game. It will happen. Don't write him off.
It'd make sense that it happened during the Richmond game, i.e sometime in the 2nd qtr imo as his influence disappared a bit towards the back end of the half and they didn't seem to do anything different to him in the way of a tag.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
As in, Russell wants to give him weeks off, and Teague wants to keep playing him?
In which case, someone in the club who agrees with Russell leaked the Cripps injury story?

I think you are underselling Cripps role in this, he is skipper of a club who at the start of the year were talking about playing finals.. If you are Paddy you are doing everything possible to get out on the park and demanding to play, to set your team up.. Crippa would have been every bit as excited and as full of optimism as we all were prior to first bounce against Richmond.. It now might be Russell & Teague trying to protect Paddy from himself.

RiCHii

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2005
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Man United
I think you are underselling Cripps role in this, he is skipper of a club who at the start of the year were talking about playing finals.. If you are Paddy you are doing everything possible to get out on the park and demanding to play, to set your team up.. Crippa would have been every bit as excited and as full of optimism as we all were prior to first bounce against Richmond.. It now might be Russell & Teague trying to protect Paddy from himself.
The AFL change the rules as the drop of a hat, these rule changes have clearly changed the effectiveness of his game, he was not to know he would be affected by it this badly. It is up to him and the coaching staff to work through it and work out a way to be effective. But its hardly all his fault. Maybe more time up forward is their solution.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The AFL change the rules as the drop of a hat, these rule changes have clearly changed the effectiveness of his game, he was not to know he would be affected by it this badly. It is up to him and the coaching staff to work through it and work out a way to be effective. But its hardly all his fault. Maybe more time up forward is their solution.

I was talking about his want to play through injury.

May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

I just don't buy this. Look at similar inside contested ball winners i.e Oliver, Mundy, Wines, it hasn't affected their games. There will always be a place in the game for this kind of player.

Cripps is hurt, can't cover the ground, and looks like he can barely bend down. When fit he will have a huge impact because he's a champion no matter how the games played.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I just don't buy this. Look at similar inside contested ball winners i.e Oliver, Mundy, Wines, it hasn't affected their games. There will always be a place in the game for this kind of player.

Cripps is hurt, can't cover the ground, and looks like he can barely bend down. When fit he will have a huge impact because he's a champion no matter how the games played.

100% spot on. For me the interesting conversation is around contract and how much we value him as a club, his lack of form in 2020 and mediocre start to 2021 changes the narrative significantly.. At the end of the 2019 season there wouldnt have been a fan or media figure in the game that would have flinched if we signed him to 5 years at 1mil+ but you couldnt possibly offer him anything close to this on current form, especially with McKay & Walsh coming out of contract and expecting big increases.

Is Crippa prepared to take on the Hodge type role, accepting under market value to ensure that we keep our key pieces and can even add to them to try and win something.. or does he want to be the Alpha on the big $ because he is the man...

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
100% spot on. For me the interesting conversation is around contract and how much we value him as a club, his lack of form in 2020 and mediocre start to 2021 changes the narrative significantly.. At the end of the 2019 season there wouldnt have been a fan or media figure in the game that would have flinched if we signed him to 5 years at 1mil+ but you couldnt possibly offer him anything close to this on current form, especially with McKay & Walsh coming out of contract and expecting big increases.

Is Crippa prepared to take on the Hodge type role, accepting under market value to ensure that we keep our key pieces and can even add to them to try and win something.. or does he want to be the Alpha on the big $ because he is the man...
Hodge took this role as he was older, won 4 premiership, etc and that under market value was enjoyed by another club, helped hawks, helped fagan

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

This is brilliant lunacy. Love a good (crazy) conspiracy that has literal hard evidence against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

The Real Footy podcast this week was interesting - as per them neither West Coast or Freo have the cap space for Cripps and neither is chasing him. They believe he will end up having to sign below market given the new rule changes, his (injury related) slow start to the year and lack of buyers (he would presumably only leave for a WA team).

So the timing of his free agency means it’s easier for Cripps to re-sign for less than market value and make it easier for us to sign others including current list and one or two more free agents (or others like Oliver).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The Real Footy podcast this week was interesting - as per them neither West Coast or Freo have the cap space for Cripps and neither is chasing him. They believe he will end up having to sign below market given the new rule changes, his (injury related) slow start to the year and lack of buyers (he would presumably only leave for a WA team) .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sure the go home factor was always relevant, but will ultimately come down to dollars and sense..

If our offer is $750 over 3, and then a club like North who are desperate for leadership of their young group come in with 1.1 over 5 years.. the choice for him becomes a tough one of seeing through what he started with us... or setting up himself and his family for life.. It won’t just be the WA teams that value Cripps if we are not prepared to pay him what he is worth.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Sure the go home factor was always relevant, but will ultimately come down to dollars and sense..

If our offer is $750 over 3, and then a club like North who are desperate for leadership of their young group come in with 1.1 over 5 years.. the choice for him becomes a tough one of seeing through what he started with us... or setting up himself and his family for life.. It won’t just be the WA teams that value Cripps if we are not prepared to pay him what he is worth.
If he goes anywhere it will be to chase wins. Most of those sides are capped out next year which is why they are good teams. He won't leave for less wins regardless of the contract. Optimistic? Maybe.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
If he goes anywhere it will be to chase wins. Most of those sides are capped out next year which is why they are good teams. He won't leave for less wins regardless of the contract. Optimistic? Maybe.

i think you are spot on and the only way he leaves is to a club he believes can challenge, and if we go backwards.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Footage on Fox Footy looked bad.

4 mins into the 1st quarter Cripps struggling to get up off the ground and then walking after he does.

King suggested play him deep forward.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Only person in the media to stick up for Cripps, has been Eddie McGuire on Footy Classified tonight..

Eddie has talked us up a lot over the last 5 years. He's doing his best. I think he really really wants a strong carlton and Collingwood back up the top together. It's been too long.

sparkyblue

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Eddie has talked us up a lot over the last 5 years. He's doing his best. I think he really really wants a strong carlton and Collingwood back up the top together. It's been too long.

Must have been the pep-talk I gave him at the 2016 Superbowl that did it. He was very positive about our potential at that point, despite my efforts to give him grief about Swannies recent nose-candy exploits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back