What’s up with Cripps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else notice the bandage/padding on his upper chest/back when he was getting roughed up in the 3rd quarter yesterday?.

Might be clutching at straws but it might indicate a rib type injury???
I thought it must've been extra support for his shoulder which underwent the reco.

Anyone else notice the bandage/padding on his upper chest/back when he was getting roughed up in the 3rd quarter yesterday?.

Might be clutching at straws but it might indicate a rib type injury???
Just doing his bit for the economy. Keeping the tape worker in a job.

The guy would probably have been facing a redundancy after Judd left. Cripps has saved his job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Find it amusing, all the negative crap talk here and in the media
We need to trade Cripps, his body is cooked, the modern game has passed him by and his no where near as good as 2019.

Yes, he is having a down year compared to other years.
Still rates in the top 15 Midfielders in the game, Injured.

Here are some stats Vs Walsh who we all probably think is in AA contention
CrippsWalsh
26.2 Disposals
6.2 Clearances (3.8 Centre)
13.4 Contested Possessions
4.6 Tackles
0.6 Goals (3 Goals)
71% Disposal Efficiency
300.6 Meters Gained
30 Disposals
5.8 Clearances (2.2 Centre)
11.8 Contested Possessions
4.6 Tackles
0.2 Goals (1 Goal)
81.3% Disposal Efficiency
332.3 Meters Gained

I'd suggest not bad for a guy who, is playing fairly injured the last 2 years.

We need to trade Cripps, his body is cooked, the modern game has passed him by and his no where near as good as 2019.

CrippsWalsh
26.2 Disposals
4.6 Tackles
0.6 Goals (3 Goals)
71% Disposal Efficiency
300.6 Meters Gained
30 Disposals
4.6 Tackles
0.2 Goals (1 Goal)
332.3 Meters Gained

This is a good point. He's still one of the best at what he does. The problem is:
-he's not the outright no.1 at contested ball and clearances he once was. his contested marking has also dropped off somewhat, at one stage he was an absolute weapon
-he's still got some annoying weaknesses, such as his shithouse goalkicking

FWIW:
2021 he is 3rd in the league for centre clearances
2020 he was still no.1 for centre clearances (3rd in overall clearances)

CrippsWalsh
26.2 Disposals
4.6 Tackles
0.6 Goals (3 Goals)
71% Disposal Efficiency
300.6 Meters Gained
30 Disposals
4.6 Tackles
0.2 Goals (1 Goal)
332.3 Meters Gained

Call me a hard marker, but reading that, doesn’t change my view at all, it shows that Cripps who should be in his prime, has been overtaken by a kid in his 3rd year, who in theory should have lots of development ahead of him.

The main concern I have with Cripps, isn’t so much his dip in form and output, it’s the fact he’s a FA and reportedly about to sign a lucrative long term deal, based on his season last year and his minor struggles this year, I’m worried that we will overpay someone who is past their best and set a bad precedent for the player who is now better.

Cripps form and influence currently, doesn’t warrant $1M per year territory.

I don't think I've ever seen a player go from that good to that poor so quickly, and these years should be his peak.

I don't buy that the game has gone past him. There are still plenty of stoppages. Looks like he is stuck in his head and lost all confidence.
Surely there something bothering him in his mind

Not sure what we as supporters are expecting..

We all said Cripps needs help, he gets help, Walsh (Superstar) Curnow (Career best form) and now Cuningham (stepping up)

This means Cripps isn't the main man anymore that we put all our ball through, add to that he still gets tagged most weeks..
Yes, he still need to work on a few area's, but with a more balanced midfield, his numbers aren't going to be through the roof every week..

Cripps
25.7 Disposals
5.9 Clearances (3.4 Centre)
13.3 Contested Possessions
4.1 Tackles
0.6 Goals (4 Goals)
70% Disposal Efficiency
307.1 Meters Gained

However he does urgently need to work on his defensive side and chase..

If he can't do this
  • He needs to play the dusty role.
    Take Centre bounces and push forward, while HFF (Bolton) take his midfield position..

Last edited:
I think we have to realise what kind of treatment the oppo is giving him and what that does for Walsh and the likes. When teams play us their number one focus is “how do we stop Cripps at stoppages?”. He doesn’t have the same windows of opportunity he once had. Now he needs to be cleaner when he does have those windows but I truly think that’s where the frustration is coming from. Walsh is better because of Cripps and once oppo put more time into Walsh then Crippas windows will start opening up.
What I noticed this week, in particularly, was that our midfield need to start games with a defensive focus rather than clearances and territory. Just tackle and put pressure on the ball carrier. This will give time and space for our backline and then get your touches on the back of that when you run back to help our defence. Clearances are a lot more easier to get at the end of games when everyone is tired and it’ll just open up when we’ve got the best clearance player in the comp. Mindset has got to change or we’ll keep hitting road bumps.

Cripps MO is take hits and distribute ball to runners. Never seen him fumble as much as he has lately. That missed kick after bursting from the centre clearance was laughable.

Maybe cut back on the jabs big fella!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back