What’s wrong with the AFLW Tigers?

Remove this Banner Ad

other first year sides are handling themselves just fine and not getting embarrassed.
We haven’t seen the best of them and might not in the next five games. Failure isn’t the opposite of success it’s a part of success, a Richmond supporter should know that as well as anybody, they’ll come good and be better for the losses.
Come sunday like the rest of the tigers fans...nothing because i wont care.
You want to go out of your way to post for all tigers fans...like that.
Don’t speak up for me mate cause your a long fu.king way from how I see things.

Meanwhile down at Moorabbin

St Kilda 1 win

While up north

Gold Coast 1 win 1 draw

and down at Punt Road

Richmond 0 wins and aren't the excuses flying thick and fast.

Two smackings and if you include the scratch match that's 3 smackings in 5 outings.

We are the youngest and least experienced side, so no s**t they are gunna cop a few smackings. Proper training and development will see more sustained improvement and success in coming years, than if we drafted solely for 2020 performances (sacrificing potential for immediate impact)

You want to go out of your way to post for all tigers fans...like that.
Don’t speak up for me mate cause your a long fu.king way from how I see things.
I'm not going out of my way, proof is in the pudding, 15k which was 9k below expectations for round 1 and then down to 3697 for round 3 = most tiger fans don't care anymore or they are pissed off the games are at that hole and with the AFL team back in action on sunday hardly anyone will even mention AFLW unless they fluke a win which who knows could be a soon as this saturday.

15 minute qtrs which involves so much wasted time, reduced scoring because of said fact, the team getting demolished, moving games to Ikon Park which pretty much gave the finger to us southerners equals me losing interest and not giving a s**t.

It’s a good point, I’m gonna try and not have an opinion on that yet.
It’s only three games and there’s alot of variables with pretty much everything these players and coaches are doing is new ground.
Phoebe Monahan played three games in the last two seasons 18,19 and has been in team of the week 2 outve three games.
We’re the type of club that can pick players like Lambert. The other thing influencing stuff is the amount of injuries forcing coaching staff to play people slightly outve the position they had imagined for em.
I asked Tom Hunter about Sophie Molan , how she’s going and if he only wants to play her on the outside as a follower/mid.
She was still in a moonboot two weeks out from the season trying to get right.
He said she is playing outside and said he probably wouldn’t have played her if he didn’t have to and if she was in the mens comp she probably wouldn’t have played at all this season.
He said from here on in theyre just gonna go out all guns blazing and see what happens.

yeah I thought something didn't look quite right with Molan, just doesn't seem to be moving well at all
thanks for clearing that up for me Cdog71

I asked Tom Hunter about Sophie Molan , how she’s going and if he only wants to play her on the outside as a follower/mid.
She was still in a moonboot two weeks out from the season trying to get right.
He said she is playing outside and said he probably wouldn’t have played her if he didn’t have to and if she was in the mens comp she probably wouldn’t have played at all this season.
He said from here on in theyre just gonna go out all guns blazing and see what happens.

That's quite amazing she is playing as well as she is then. I've liked her since game one, nothing flashy, gets into good spots, tries to make another player better with what she does. I thought she was going OK without that news - with that news I think she is doing well and getting better.

I'm not going out of my way, proof is in the pudding, 15k which was 9k below expectations for round 1 and then down to 3697 for round 3 = most tiger fans don't care anymore or they are pissed off the games are at that hole and with the AFL team back in action on sunday hardly anyone will even mention AFLW unless they fluke a win which who knows could be a soon as this saturday.

15 minute qtrs which involves so much wasted time, reduced scoring because of said fact, the team getting demolished, moving games to Ikon Park which pretty much gave the finger to us southerners equals me losing interest and not giving a s**t.

Your pudding at least - perspective! Attendance doesn't depict all interest, silly narrow argument. There are Tigers fans like yourself who don't care (but seem to care enough to comment negatively apparently), and then there are Tiger fans who support all things Richmond. I and many others think you are just plain wrong - no crime in that, you just have poor opinions on AFLW.

I haven’t been to the games but still invested , if we were at Casey or something I’d be there , I have a feeling we ll break through at some point . Disappointing we couldn’t snaffle a W v GC the other 2 loses were against 2 certain finalists in NM and the Blues , I couldnt see the saints/Gc get near them

Your pudding at least - perspective! Attendance doesn't depict all interest, silly narrow argument. There are Tigers fans like yourself who don't care (but seem to care enough to comment negatively apparently), and then there are Tiger fans who support all things Richmond. I and many others think you are just plain wrong - no crime in that, you just have poor opinions on AFLW.

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
:thumbsu:

All i'm saying is, stop with the excuses especially when other first year sides are handling themselves just fine and not getting embarrassed.

You might want to get to a game to see if they're excuses or reasons.

I wouldn't say the Goldies are "handling themselves" any better than us. They got a bit lucky enough to post a win when we kicked 2 goals 10. I haven't seen the Sainters, so no comment on them.

You might want to get to a game to see if they're excuses or reasons.

I wouldn't say the Goldies are "handling themselves" any better than us. They got a bit lucky enough to post a win when we kicked 2 goals 10. I haven't seen the Sainters, so no comment on them.
The saints were minor premiers in the VFL last season before getting knocked out by dogs and pies. So realistically, they’d be slightly above Richmond.

When the Matildas soccer team who’ve been round for three decades get smashed 5-0 by Australia’s U16 boys team you’ve got to wonder about the standards. I went to the first game and I couldn’t believe how mediocre the standards were. I waited for37 years for our men’s team to win a flag , so supposedly I will wait 37 years for the the game to improve. I have so many other sporting commitments with the kids , vfl Coburg, AFLM and thoroughbred racing so I don’t think I’ll commit my valuable time to such an amateurish standard of game until I can see any improvement in this area.
I know it’s in its infancy, but seriously it’s got a long way to go before it steals anymore of my time.

When the Matildas soccer team who’ve been round for three decades get smashed 5-0 by Australia’s U16 boys team you’ve got to wonder about the standards. I went to the first game and I couldn’t believe how mediocre the standards were. I waited for37 years for our men’s team to win a flag , so supposedly I will wait 37 years for the the game to improve. I have so many other sporting commitments with the kids , vfl Coburg, AFLM and thoroughbred racing so I don’t think I’ll commit my valuable time to such an amateurish standard of game until I can see any improvement in this area.
I know it’s in its infancy, but seriously it’s got a long way to go before it steals anymore of my time.

I know where your coming from TigerImposter
but we also both know if we didn't recruit a guy called Dustin Martin (sliding doors = Scully, Trengrove) we would be still waiting like the Demons
we are (key word) BUILDING a team from zero, much like when Hardwick took over
you and all of us watched game after game of mediocrity, but we didn't walk away
you and I can't fully enjoy success, without failure, it makes it that much more sweeter :)
we're all used to our AFL teams success, not remembering how amateurish they were

I know where your coming from TigerImposter
but we also both know if we didn't recruit a guy called Dustin Martin (sliding doors = Scully, Trengrove) we would be still waiting like the Demons
we are (key word) BUILDING a team from zero, much like when Hardwick took over
you and all of us watched game after game of mediocrity, but we didn't walk away
you and I can't fully enjoy success, without failure, it makes it that much more sweeter :)
we're all used to our AFL teams success, not remembering how amateurish they were
No you’ve missed my point SJ. I was aware watching our VFLW team last year that they were going to struggle,but this wasn’t my concern.
it’s the mediocrity of the whole competition in general. I’ve been watching games on TV and I’m yet to see a girl bounce and run and carry the ball,they rarely get both feet of the ground and jump to impact a contest nor do they tackle with any ferocity.
The ruck contests are also hilarious and rarely do you see an overhead mark . Most girls also struggle to kick 30m and everything looks like it’s in slow motion. I just can’t commit my time to such an amateurish level of sport. Give me women’s cycling any day bc it’s at a highly competitive level and of an A grade standard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with our AFLW side whatsoever ... they're tracking nicely (and likely as expected) with such a young side. Clearly the youngest list in the league.
Plenty of encouraging signs in Bendigo. Monique Conti is an absolute gun and will in time be like our 'other' #4 and will singlehandedly drag us across the line in games. Monahan and Wakefield are a good pair of bookends and reckon Molan and Kodi Jacques (great little goal on Saturday) will be future stars (they're only 19 and up against more established and bigger-bodied players). Reckon - in time - McLelland will be a pretty good key tall too.
I reckon Hunter as coach is in the mould of Hardwick in 2010-11. It's all very much about education at this point and getting the structures implemented and then down pat.
The game against the Cats was easily our best, save for an ordinary second quarter, but the consistency and more sustained periods of consistency will follow.
On Saturday's effort, the first win is around the corner.
I reckon another VFLW season with this core group and they'll come together quickly next year.
Will say, I reckon the skill level on Saturday was pretty high (of course those who bag the game and AFLW concept will point to errors, but seriously, thew AFL game is so seriously riddled with errors these days it's hard to fathom).
Actually spoke with the Cats coach on Saturday - Paul Hood (helluva nice bloke) - about the standard the game and was adamant inroads are being made in the standard of games. Reckons the quality and number of them games have definitely risen from years ago, and I would have to agree. A lot of people, who criticise the game - much like criticism in other facets of life - have agendas to push.

Nothing wrong with our AFLW side whatsoever ... they're tracking nicely (and likely as expected) with such a young side. Clearly the youngest list in the league.
Plenty of encouraging signs in Bendigo. Monique Conti is an absolute gun and will in time be like our 'other' #4 and will singlehandedly drag us across the line in games. Monahan and Wakefield are a good pair of bookends and reckon Molan and Kodi Jacques (great little goal on Saturday) will be future stars (they're only 19 and up against more established and bigger-bodied players). Reckon - in time - McLelland will be a pretty good key tall too.
I reckon Hunter as coach is in the mould of Hardwick in 2010-11. It's all very much about education at this point and getting the structures implemented and then down pat.
The game against the Cats was easily our best, save for an ordinary second quarter, but the consistency and more sustained periods of consistency will follow.
On Saturday's effort, the first win is around the corner.
I reckon another VFLW season with this core group and they'll come together quickly next year.
Will say, I reckon the skill level on Saturday was pretty high (of course those who bag the game and AFLW concept will point to errors, but seriously, thew AFL game is so seriously riddled with errors these days it's hard to fathom).
Actually spoke with the Cats coach on Saturday - Paul Hood (helluva nice bloke) - about the standard the game and was adamant inroads are being made in the standard of games. Reckons the quality and number of them games have definitely risen from years ago, and I would have to agree. A lot of people, who criticise the game - much like criticism in other facets of life - have agendas to push.
Agree with your comments, great signs to fight back and they certainly didn’t drop the heads when things were going against them and Monique Conti is a star who we can build a midfield around. I liked the games from Jaques and Campbell, both will become really good AFLW players, Molan is coming along, she has plenty of strengths to her game. We just need to give our young players like Sophie time, as not every 18 year old can be a Maddy Prespakis and be a star from the get go, the majority of 18 year olds will take at least a couple of seasons to handle the step up to AFLW level and to show their best.

Saw part of the WC-WB game, one of the worst I have ever seen.
Several players collided in the goalsquare, the ball trickled through for a goal.
It was an appalling lack of quality and skills.
To be fair, the Q-Clash draw was interesting in glimpses.
AFLW should be a round robin tournament prelude for the AFL season, held over a fortnight to four weeks at most.
They could start in mid-Feb and finish in mid-March as a lead in to AFL.

Last edited:
Agree with your comments, great signs to fight back and they certainly didn’t drop the heads when things were going against them and Monique Conti is a star who we can build a midfield around. I liked the games from Jaques and Campbell, both will become really good AFLW players, Molan is coming along, she has plenty of strengths to her game. We just need to give our young players like Sophie time, as not every 18 year old can be a Maddy Prespakis and be a star from the get go, the majority of 18 year olds will take at least a couple of seasons to handle the step up to AFLW level and to show their best.

I reckon Campbell would have been feeling it after the game. Talk about not leaving anything out on the park - ran herself ragged and loves a contest. Seen a fair bit of Jacques at the lower level and always confident she's step up to AFLW. Great for both girls to get a chance to play on their home ground at the Queen Elizabeth Oval.
I live locally - as in Bendigo - and no surprise to see the number of Bendigo region girls plying their trade in the AFLW. Jacques, Campbell, Kerryn Harrington, Emma Grant, Eden Zanker, Angela Foley, Tiahna Cochrane etc. The city is a bit of a stronghold for women's footy and really embraced the concept early in the piece and it's only getting stronger and more popular by the day.

I reckon Campbell would have been feeling it after the game. Talk about not leaving anything out on the park - ran herself ragged and loves a contest. Seen a fair bit of Jacques at the lower level and always confident she's step up to AFLW. Great for both girls to get a chance to play on their home ground at the Queen Elizabeth Oval.
I live locally - as in Bendigo - and no surprise to see the number of Bendigo region girls plying their trade in the AFLW. Jacques, Campbell, Kerryn Harrington, Emma Grant, Eden Zanker, Angela Foley, Tiahna Cochrane etc. The city is a bit of a stronghold for women's footy and really embraced the concept early in the piece and it's only getting stronger and more popular by the day.
I saw a couple of games she played for Thunder, I live in Brisbane but grew up in Bendigo so have an interest in following the leagues and Kody showed her class playing against woman in the seniors. An AFLW team not drafting her in her draft year was great for us and with our links to Bendigo. Every year there will be a few unlucky to miss out at the draft as AFLW teams are looking for experience over youth. Hopefully our recruiters can find a few more like Kody. Great to hear the woman’s leagues is going great in Bendigo and is getting stronger.

The issue is in the women's soccer they can kick goals the virtual length of the field, the scoring is on a par with men's soccer scoring.
Melbourne Victory W won 4-0.
In AFLW they could introduce a lighter ball, say 30% lighter, so they can handpass and kick longer distances, opens up the field of play, less scrimmages and congestion.

Saw part of the WC-WB game, one of the worst I have ever seen.
Several players collided in the goalsquare, the ball trickled through for a goal.
It was an appalling lack of quality and skills.
To be fair, the Q-Clash draw was interesting in glimpses.
AFLW should be a round robin tournament prelude for the AFL season, held over a fortnight to four weeks at most.
They could start in mid-Feb and finish in mid-March as a lead in to AFL.
Nah disagree. Theres a good base here they just need to develop it now. No more teams for now, let the talent pool catch-up and grow into. Once we get 10 or so years in and the girls who are playing have been playing all through juniors (rather than here and there, or switching back from other codes) we will see a big spike in quality.

And at the end of the day, it's good for footy and it's a great opportunity for women in sport. As the father of a girl I want my daughter to be able to do whatever the * she wants when she grows up, so if thats sport (or whatever it is) I hope there's plenty of opportunities for her.

Great that you want the best for your daughter.
But I was just commenting on the quality of AFLW.
The AFL is on the right track insofar as they limit the series to a conference system.
But they should implement a modified, lighter, ball.
Some of the goals in women's soccer are scored from the defensive half.

Last edited:
Great that you want the best for your daughter.
But I was just commenting on the quality of AFLW.
The AFL is on the right track insofar as they limit the series to a conference system.
But they should implement a modified, lighter, ball.
Some of the goals in women's soccer are scored from the defensive half.
If you want to master an instrument or your craft or be elite at anything.
It takes 10,000 hrs of practice.
It’s an interesting idea about the ball, I’d rather not see anymore changes made to the game myself if anything maybe reduce the 50 mtr penalty to a measure consistent with the ave length of an AFLW kick.

Boys have grown up playing juniors with opportunity to play a little rep stuff in interleagues and in schools and then with the pathways through TAC and others and can end up playing 100’s of games before they hit 18, the girls haven’t.
Another thing is the way we judge the AFLW people forget that the AFL those players in it are the top 5% in the country if you consider the amount of open age Aussie Rules played.
We’re all armchair critics and we want to see the sport at an elite level.
It just needs mileage I reckon.

The issue is the lack of scoring.
It will have to be addressed, sooner or later.
As you say, however many years of dedication are required.
It might take decades of development.
I don't follow women's soccer at all, but you can see the scores on the news, the results stand up relative to men's soccer scores.
They can generate and score goals out of the back half.
I think the AFL is correct in having a conference system to limit the length of the series.
The AFLW quality is something they are concerned about, what I was told.

The issue is the lack of scoring.
It will have to be addressed, sooner or later.
As you say, however many years of dedication are required.
It might take decades of development.
I don't follow women's soccer at all, but you can see the scores on the news, the results stand up relative to men's soccer scores.
They can generate and score goals out of the back half.
I think the AFL is correct in having a conference system to limit the length of the series.
The AFLW quality is something they are concerned about, what I was told.
Im sure theyre looking at ratings and how big a name the sponsors are.
I’d say Gilligan and his cronies are all in for the next two years and IMO the standard is linked to the amount of time spent playing whether or not that translates to better ratings...maybe
But better ratings is where the money is going to come from for the step from semi prof to full time.
And I got no doubt if they can play 20 games between Vflw and Aflw as well as spending more than 6hrs a week at the club like they are at present, there will be less injuries and a higher level of play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back