Coach What’s your game plan?

Imagine this. It’s late on Thursday afternoon. Word filters out that Collingwood are holding a surprise press conference.

Bucks is there with his muscles barely contained beneath his close fitting polo, and next to him sits an old looking bald dude who you assume to be Wright.

The bold dude is speaking, something about incredible service and dedication, legacy and love of the players. You start thinking about dinner as your Gen Y inability to concentrate for longer than 2 minutes kicks in.

What did you hear?

Buckley is being replaced?

By whom you wonder, as you idly play with your belly button.

You become dimly aware that people are gazing at you. Their slack jaws revealing yellow stained teeth and breath like a dogs arse. The bald dude is beckoning you to the stage. You stagger forward, wondering if this is all some sort of sick BF joke.

Upon reaching the stage, you are forced into an embrace with the bald man, you consider running for your life, before you realise that you are now the new coach of Collingwood.

s**t, you think, I’ve always know what to do on BF, but what do I do in reality? What is my game plan? What do I tell the players? Why is Harvey staring at me?

Over to you.

How do you beat North?
What is your game plan?
What colour are your undies?

Collingwood HQ

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves, Calgary NHL
Start with the players call a meeting with senior and influential players tell them the club's direction and future be blunt but open if they want to stay *en prove it, show some leadership on field!

Then tell the supporters what your direction and plan is none of this secret masterplan s**t!
After that kick the door in to Harvey, Sanderson and Ned Guys office like Arnie and say hasta la Vista, baby!

Onto the game plan for north piss this putrid zone defence off and employ anything even man on man floating midfield zone. Play Moore in defence and degoey deep forward, tell Grundy to run forward... and for the love of God don't go long down the line!

Last edited:

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I recall Cox, he and Cameron will tag team Goldstein all night. Grundy will play full forward alongside whichever tall is not actively rucking. I would also drop DeGoey. A forward with 0 marks in a game. Not really sure what to make of that effort.

I'm not up to speed enough to provide a full 22, but speaking in generalities, I would focus on speed, quickness, and misdirection between the arcs. Overlaps and run ons and the like. But mostly I would stress unpredictable forward 50 entries. The occasional chaos ball, the wild 45° offline kick away from the pack. Be BOLD with the football, not lazy and predictable. Play football that gives supporters a reason to watch, win or lose. Not the effort we've seen of late.

Defensively I wouldn't change much, other than sending Moore back. But I'd tell the guys that our defense started the year as elite. If we turn it over, we have had the defense to keep the scoreboard impact low. So don't play conservatively all the time.

I’d make the team mantra “make the opposition kick to a contest” No more guarding grass.
our zone defence is the worst in the AFL by a long way & we now need to be hard to play against.
Every team knows when playing us in 2021 there will be virtually no pressure on the ball carrier & no effort to stop easy uncontested marks.
It’s why we are beaten so badly in marks & uncontested possession every week.

From this weekend I’d be ensuring every team now knows we are going to bring intense pressure & that easy possessions are a thing of the past.
Right now we are almost playing a style that is complete opposite to the reigning premiers.

Don’t be observers & passengers. Dip in & have a crack.

At least 2 players in our forward 50 at all times so players on a fast break don’t have to stop & wait for players to get down there.

When the North game is over get on the phone & start approaching new assistant coaches for next year.
Team selection for the rest of the year will not select players who are past it & won’t be there next year.
‘Develop the talented young kids in roles they are familiar with & play them there. No more forward pocket on debut when they never play that position.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Fun thread topic..
For starters....
1. I tell Rob Harvey sorry but I can't work with you mate. I need someone with an IQ above room temperature.
2. I make sure Jmac and Nospin are on my side in the Big footy forums.
3. I tell the media I have acute anxiety and my doctor says I can't do any appearances. That should do the trick there.
4. On match days my main feedback to players is "kick it" and "play better for f. sake."
5. I give Hoskin Elliot that wallpaper peeling, foundation cracking mother of all sprays that I've saved up for the last two years from watching his limp arse efforts.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
and for the love of God don't go long down the line!
I don’t think we have the skills to play precision footy so I’d encourage players to play on fast and back our big men down the line. Just focus on moving quickly and kicking advantage side to our keys.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Imagine this. It’s late on Thursday afternoon. Word filters out that Collingwood are holding a surprise press conference.

Bucks is there with his muscles barely contained beneath his close fitting polo, and next to him sits an old looking bald dude who you assume to be Wright.

The bold dude is speaking, something about incredible service and dedication, legacy and love of the players. You start thinking about dinner as your Gen Y inability to concentrate for longer than 2 minutes kicks in.

What did you hear?

Buckley is being replaced?

By whom you wonder, as you idly play with your belly button.

You become dimly aware that people are gazing at you. Their slack jaws revealing yellow stained teeth and breath like a dogs arse. The bald dude is beckoning you to the stage. You stagger forward, wondering if this is all some sort of sick BF joke.

Upon reaching the stage, you are forced into an embrace with the bald man, you consider running for your life, before you realise that you are now the new coach of Collingwood.

sh*t, you think, I’ve always know what to do on BF, but what do I do in reality? What is my game plan? What do I tell the players? Why is Harvey staring at me?

Over to you.

How do you beat North?
What is your game plan?
What colour are your undies?

Nice hypothetical, won't happen though, glad it won't.

My hope, and it's a fair speculation that it is, Wrighty is already on the phone to potential new coaches - including assistants. Regardless, if we keep Nathan or not.

If you knew who they were, they would be people to ask your question. Not the people of bf, and you can't just know your players strengths at a moments notice, not to the level that our current panel knows them - for obvious reasons.

Good luck to those tactical and analytical posters to come up with a game plan that suits the strengths of an unbalanced list.

Nice hypothetical, won't happen though, glad it won't.

My hope, and it's a fair speculation that it is, Wrighty is already on the phone to potential new coaches - including assistants. Regardless, if we keep Nathan or not.

If you knew who they were, they would be people to ask your question. Not the people of bf, and you can't just know your players strengths at a moments notice, not to the level that our current panel knows them - for obvious reasons.

Good luck to those tactical and analytical posters to come up with a game plan that suits the strengths of an unbalanced list.
I actually do think you will be the next coach of Collingwood.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I actually do think you will be the next coach of Collingwood.

Sarcasm duly noted, however this club has been stupid enough to make ridiculously bad moves in the past.

Because I don't want to see more harm to the club, if I get the call to a presser, I'll respectfully decline.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I’d make the team mantra “make the opposition kick to a contest” No more guarding grass.
our zone defence is the worst in the AFL by a long way & we now need to be hard to play against.
Every team knows when playing us in 2021 there will be virtually no pressure on the ball carrier & no effort to stop easy uncontested marks.
It’s why we are beaten so badly in marks & uncontested possession every week.

From this weekend I’d be ensuring every team now knows we are going to bring intense pressure & that easy possessions are a thing of the past.
Right now we are almost playing a style that is complete opposite to the reigning premiers.

Don’t be observers & passengers. Dip in & have a crack.

At least 2 players in our forward 50 at all times so players on a fast break don’t have to stop & wait for players to get down there.

When the North game is over get on the phone & start approaching new assistant coaches for next year.
Team selection for the rest of the year will not select players who are past it & won’t be there next year.
‘Develop the talented young kids in roles they are familiar with & play them there. No more forward pocket on debut when they never play that position.

Mostly this. Plus another mantra “movement creates movement” basically the priority of every player in every area of the ground is to play on. Once you do that everyone reacts on both sides of the ball. Our stagnant players calling for the ball while stationary with their hands in the air and the opposition with their perfectly implemented zone. We currently play like a team with a rod shoved up our arse it’s so rigid!

Collingwood2022

Senior List
Mar 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let the players play. In fact I would disappear for 9 holes whilst they are playing with complete freedom and enjoyment. Then come back late in the last quarter and check in on them.

coolidge1000

Senior List
Sep 25, 2010
hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been mulling this over for several weeks I believe Buckley should be kept given another 2 years and there should be a clean and through cleanout of everyone from recruitment to assistant coaches and the people to replace them must be the opposite or completely different to each other there's way to much same same about everyone in that area and it appears there's no person that singles out another if the disagree

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I've been mulling this over for several weeks I believe Buckley should be kept given another 2 years and there should be a clean and through cleanout of everyone from recruitment to assistant coaches and the people to replace them must be the opposite or completely different to each other there's way to much same same about everyone in that area and it appears there's no person that singles out another if the disagree

So the answer is to make everyone else accountable aside from the person that’s been at the helm for a decade? Big footy never fails to deliver!

So the answer is to make everyone else accountable aside from the person that’s been at the helm for a decade? Big footy never fails to deliver!

‘like I said in a previous post. Some people like Bucks more than the club. Just daft.

coolidge1000

Senior List
Sep 25, 2010
hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
No it's not that I like nor hate bucks I honestly don't see any coaches around that are getable that are better options

Civilest

Cancelled
May 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Choosing me as coach is only slightly more stupid than reappointing Buckley. As far as game plan goes, year 1 of the 5 year plan is about beating your opponent and playing on instinct having won the ball. Every assistance will be provided to the player to help them with positioning and body use to improve one on one contests using video review and ad nauseam simulation. Players will be critiqued on their instinctive choices with the ball. Good instinctive actions will be encouraged and trained. With poor instinctive habits, coaching staff will explain the better options available to the player, and these will be trained. year 1 don’t care about Ws and Ls, just want to know what strengths and weaknesses come out when players have some freedom. Year 2 emphasis on team connection, Disposal skills and scoring. Year 3 learn to defend. Off field the mother of all clean outs at all levels of the club.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
No it's not that I like nor hate bucks I honestly don't see any coaches around that are getable that are better options

To clarify the reason you don’t want him replaced is that you personally can’t identify a better option? I genuinely think his assistants are as capable as him given how we currently play. Also by applying that logic Wallace wouldn’t have been replaced by Hardwick. Schwab by Clarkson. Worsfold by Simpson. Ease by Roos. Lyon by Longmuir. Dare I say it Malthouse by Buckley. The list goes on. No coach has the role for life, he’s given the club everything he has, it’s time to move on and time for us to find the next Clarkson/ Longmuir/ Simpson/ Hardwick.

By this logic Wallace wouldn’t have been replaced by Hardwick. Schwab by Clarkson. Worsfold by Simpson. Lyon by Longmuir. Dare I say it Malthouse by Buckley. The list goes on. No coach has the role for life, he’s given the club everything he has, it’s time to move on and time for us to find the next Clarkson/ Longmuir/ Simpson/ Hardwick.
What if we find the next Bolton?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
What if we find the next Bolton?

It’s possible and I’m prepared for that because we aren’t going to be finals relevant until 2024 regardless of who’s in the seat. Right now though I’d prefer the next Bolton over a continuation of the Buckley empire. Non negotiables for me though are that they not only come from a good system, but they also drive that system rather than just being along for the ride.

Mine woul be to decline the position in favour of a coach who has has a long apprenticeship hopefully through 2 or more successful systems. I am not against Buckley staying on while we rebuild if a strong coaching candidate doesn’t present

As to game plan I would say to the average BF punter if you have no inside knowledge of a teams gameplan and you watch 2 teams
go at it with two playing lists and two different plans you have no way of assessing your teams game plan in much the same at you have no idea on being able to tell the effectiveness of assistant coaches.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Ok I'll take this seriously now, given the proviso that no team can just flick the switch and play differently to what's been ingrained into the team in the last two years. Not in a glaringly different positive way at least. Your brand is still your brand, takes time and work to change it.

So I'll simplify this as much as possible from my point of view, as asked by the op.

Every dog and its leash knows that our style of possession control and want of absolute safety on the next possession has clearly seen us regress - and badly. This style is great if you a team full of silky ball users like Sides (usually) and Pendles or a wc or cats team, but we don't.

* A message to the coaching panel, yeah I know football skills are a basic fundamental, but it's a lot different come game day and transitioning through zone pressure like a wc or geelong right now can and is an exception to the rule.

So I'll put this into perspective of building into it immediately after the season done and immediately into pre season training.

If I were the coach, and on the scenario of the current list we have, I'd (along with the assistants) firstly identify the strengths of every player to determine who fits best and where and if we have depth players in certain roles should it be inevitably required.

Backs:

It's clear we have potential strength here, possibly the strongest in the league - even right now.

Mids:

Right now it seems one paced and lacks cohesion with its dominant ruck, even with the back up rucks in Cox / Cameron.

Forwards:

I'd like everyone to ask themselves what is the clear difference in personnel compared to 2018. Pretty much zero.

In the pre season training I'd concentrate heavily on two lacking areas, build tank, run two ways all day tank, like we did in 2018 between the arcs tank. This would allow to set up structure to outnumber at the contest and then outnumber on the outside of to give us clean transition of the footy. It also allows us to better set up defensively without the pill to regain possession, applying pressure positionally to force turnover. Outnumbering at the contest will see us win the pill again.

This is risky from a taxation perspective and is flawed because of that, but it's far better than what we're doing now.

Right now from what I saw of the clips of the gc game, we're guarding grass again (like 2017 and previous) allowing the opp training drill like transition. We used to do that by purely outworking our opponents.

Secondly, pound in skills practice, a footy fundamental, drum it in ad nauseum - using real game pressure to test it - not training drill environments. Would need dramatic improvement with ball use to be taken seriously. Included in this is practicing stoppages ad nauseum to improve ruck mid connection - this area of Grundy's dominance is a serious potential gain, would be visual if we could get a hold of that.

Doing all of the above will identify each players strengths and where best to play em, no doubt game day will change view somewhat when pressure is applied, more learning the who is who.

When we know who can play where, for instance I'd argue under better game and better trained ball skills (fundamentals) IQ and Noble are good rebound defenders, Moore and Howe are brilliant intercepts.

Grundy is THE hitout champion with nothing to show for it because A/ he can't find our mids or B/ our mids are being out midded or C/ a combination of both, most likely C. Grundy also likes to hit it to ground or back to the boundary and then engage in contest, would be better if he taps to our mids like a NN does, and our mids actually win it.

Structure:

Of course this varies depending on your opposition, venue, conditions etc. but I'll simplify as much as I can.

For a long time, basically the last two seasons, for the most part, we've had our whole 18 in the d half with / without the pill in our d50. When we win it we're using the likes of Cox / Checkers as link ups on the wings high half back. It takes away our targets - can't kick it to themselves.

Even though it does happen occasionally, not often enough though, our tall backs would be better utilised as the link, even when they're used as the link our tall forwards are out of position and unless we've got running past player to open the corridor or any space to run into our tall forwards are still out of position. So we're forced to slow up play and control possession while the opp can set up its defensive structure, this invites pressure that eventually leads to turnover or we bomb it long to mid type forwards like JT, and at best we lock it in and hope to goal from stoppage - see this too often.

If we use ball speed, like we did in 18, we don't need to use either talls forwards or backs as links down the line, we'd have wingers or other mids in space. Of course this goes back to outrunning our opponents all day between the arcs (two way running) - with and without the pill.

All of the above is very simplistic view of how I'd build with what we have, you'd have to write an essay on how to build a game plan coz it ain't that simple.

This week: Until we get our skills (fundamentals) back to the required level I'd employ a pressure game, might be ugly but it would give a chance of winning, if we can win contested footy and by extension just own the footy. That would require a collective effort we haven't seen this year though.

Back