Running/Fitness What 5km Time is considered good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shinboner99

MajakMeOff
Nov 3, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi guys, I've recently started my self pre season training and since I'm going up from U/15s To U/17s next year I was wondering what time would be considered good.

My current time is 22:38

Also would be interested in what times you've recently gotten

This comes from a fitness/gps tracking facebook group listing 2k time trials results. So take it for what it's worth.

5:30 - 6:00 min = Super Elite Athlete (Issac Smith/Mark Blicavs/Ed Curnow)

6:01 - 6:15 min = Elite AFL Player (Billy Hartung/Sam Gibson/Bradley Hill/Johnny Rayner/Patrick Ambrose/Tom Scully)

6:16 - 6:30 min = Slightly Better than average AFL Standard (Jamie Macmillan/Dan Hannebury/Ben McEvoy/Liam Shiels)

6:31 - 6:45 min = Average to Slow Standard (45% of AFL players are in this bracket)

6:46 - 7:10 min = Had a big festive season or is a Key Position player

8:13 min = Worst Performance Ever (Murray Newman 2012)

Issac Smith, Mark Blicavs, Ed Curnow are all super Elite runners.

Billy Hartung is exceptional for his age and will be very competitive with the above in the coming future.

Ben McEvoy has elite endurance pushing the much smaller and whippier midfielders.

So if you want to meet AFL standard over 5km, you'd be aiming for 16-18 minutes considering you probably can't flat sprint 5000 meters, whereas they can probably flat spring 2000 meters.

Thanks for the info I'll probably set a goal to get down to under 20 by the end of the summer.

Great way I've found to reduce your times is to do things that are simply harder than what you want to achieve. Hill runs and repeated efforts really get the job done. Sprint up a hill or steep incline street and then lightly jog back. A few of these and you'll be exhausted and sore. Keep doing that and combine it with 1-2 sessions of repeated 10x50 or 5x100meter sprints will really increase your capacity to train quicker and harder. David Swallow and his brother swear by 400m sprints to build both speed and endurance. Few of those a week should get that 5k down a few ticks.

Hi guys, I've recently started my self pre season training and since I'm going up from U/15s To U/17s next year I was wondering what time would be considered good.

That is an above average time for your age. Sub 20min is "elite" for local football.

Great way I've found to reduce your times is to do things that are simply harder than what you want to achieve. Hill runs and repeated efforts really get the job done. Sprint up a hill or steep incline street and then lightly jog back. A few of these and you'll be exhausted and sore. Keep doing that and combine it with 1-2 sessions of repeated 10x50 or 5x100meter sprints will really increase your capacity to train quicker and harder. David Swallow and his brother swear by 400m sprints to build both speed and endurance. Few of those a week should get that 5k down a few ticks.
Thanks,running around the block is getting a bit boring and I do need to work on my sprints, I'll be sure to implement them into my training.

I don't necessarily need it but it boosts your endurance which I believe is one of the most important attributes in football.
cptkirk puts far more emphasis on HIIT sprint training fitness than endurance fitness. Out of interest kirky what's the furtherest you'd recommend for steady state cardio running?

cptkirk puts far more emphasis on HIIT sprint training fitness than endurance fitness. Out of interest kirky what's the furtherest you'd recommend for steady state cardio running?

No offense but that debate has been done to death in the other threads. There are pros/cons to both, which is why players do tons of alternative cardio etc. Let's not turn this into another endless HIIT vs. Steady Cardio. 5km is a short enough distance that you can max your effort thru most of it and get some great benefits vs. running 20-30km.

i can't see a reason why you'd go any further then 2 - 3km really and use it as a test, not for actual training

i'm not anti low intensity at all and am doing a fair bit of that my self right now but it gets overdone by 99% of footy players on their training, time and energy that can and should be directed elsewhere (speed, strength etc)

it's all about testing, assessing the test results and doing what you need to do...most blokes just go at it with no thought put into what they're doing at all - more of an "i've done this in the past / everyone does it" type of thing

for off/pre season i think this is the priority you should follow in order from oct to round q:

1 - recovery / corrective stuff
2 - speed
3 - strength / hypertrophy
4 - aerobic capacity
5 - repeat speed

most blokes go straight to #5 with a little #3 thrown in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offense but that debate has been done to death in the other threads. There are pros/cons to both, which is why players do tons of alternative cardio etc. Let's not turn this into another endless HIIT vs. Steady Cardio. 5km is a short enough distance that you can max your effort thru most of it and get some great benefits vs. running 20-30km.
Would all depend on your goals IMO you need long running (for endurance) phart leg running (for repeted efforts) & sprints (for power). Personally i do all three it is good for your brain mixing it up.

Guys like mark blicavs and Isaac smith would blitz the 5k

i can't see a reason why you'd go any further then 2 - 3km really and use it as a test, not for actual training

i'm not anti low intensity at all and am doing a fair bit of that my self right now but it gets overdone by 99% of footy players on their training, time and energy that can and should be directed elsewhere (speed, strength etc)

it's all about testing, assessing the test results and doing what you need to do...most blokes just go at it with no thought put into what they're doing at all - more of an "i've done this in the past / everyone does it" type of thing

for off/pre season i think this is the priority you should follow in order from oct to round q:

1 - recovery / corrective stuff
2 - speed
3 - strength / hypertrophy
4 - aerobic capacity
5 - repeat speed

most blokes go straight to #5 with a little #3 thrown in
I agree the days of running 5-10km runs in preseason are well and truly over nobody in a match runs 5km at a solid continous pace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back