What a joke - Williams just gets a week!

Remove this Banner Ad

The optics of it are terrible. Felt like 2 weeks at least.

That said, it would be good to see it side by side with Tom Stewart on Charlie Cameron.

Very similar incidents in the same week but only one cited.

Elbows which do no damage get between 1 and 3 weeks depending on how popular the player is and how much outrage the media have.

Stands to reason a head slam is treated the same. Zero evidence that anyone in the media said anything so why wouldnt the MRO give it just the 1 week?

Of course it should have been elevated because it is clearly intentional and clearly a very high risk to cause serious harm but if people dont care the AFL doesnt either.

Of course it should have been elevated because it is clearly intentional and clearly a very high risk to cause serious harm but if people dont care the AFL doesnt either.

Yep. The word "integrity" should never appear in the same sentence as the AFL.

Worth highlighting that in the same passage of melee 30 second earlier, Fogarty pushes stocker in the upper back/neck which forces his head down into the astroturf which was unsighted by MRO.

The retaliation from Williams was in reaction to Keays lunging at doc with his elbow at docs head.

I'm fine with suspensions for these acts as long as there's consistency of application

Stewart should also get a week. Disgraceful he didnt. But again no media outrage.

And you just know Hocking told Christian to let it slide because Charlie's head hit his arm not the ground (even though its inconclusive).

Im shocked that the AFL GM of football who still hangs out in the Cats' coach box is lenient on Cats players. Just shocked.

Even more shocked that Gil couldnt give a s**t either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The optics of it are terrible. Felt like 2 weeks at least.

That said, it would be good to see it side by side with Tom Stewart on Charlie Cameron.

Very similar incidents in the same week but only one cited.

The optics aren't totally fair though. Most of the optic are on a 1 second clip that has been looped, out of context, to provoke outrage.

In the context of a melee, with other similar incidents (Fogarty pushing Stocker into the group, the elbow to the head of Docherty that provoked Williams). It's clear when you watch the full clip that Williams' intent was to pull the bloke off Docherty and then dumped him as a last resort. It's dangerous and stupid, and a tribunal appearance and suspension is ok.

But as you point out, and others have said too, it is incomprehensible that similar isn't being applied to others. In particular:
- Stewart, for an identical act, with zero context (this is just in play, smashing a guy's head into the ground) = not even reported
- Fogarty, for hitting a defenseless opponent, late, with significant force = zero weeks, play on.
- For the other similar incidents in the same melee

After the farce that was Plowman's two week suspension for a 'football act'... followed by everyone in the media ganging up to make sure that Mackay got off for a far worse hit (that hospitalised a player with a very serious injury). When Buddy lines up and runs through a Carlton player and gets a fine that he can pay for with pocket change...

After both Curnow brothers get suspended in the same game, for innocuous contact with an umpire (the sort that happens a thousand times over the course of a season)]

Even after Selwood gets cleared for twice gouging a player's face in a match and stepping on a player, while Judd gets 3 weeks for the same offence.

It gets hard to not feel like again and again Carlton players cop the worst of the tribunal... and other clubs, particularly Geelong (and in this case Adelaide) get an absolute armchair run.

We should challenge this and take it to court, simply on principle if nothing happens to Stewart, Fogarty, and the others involved. Absolute farce.

The optics aren't totally fair though. Most of the optic are on a 1 second clip that has been looped, out of context, to provoke outrage.

In the context of a melee, with other similar incidents (Fogarty pushing Stocker into the group, the elbow to the head of Docherty that provoked Williams). It's clear when you watch the full clip that Williams' intent was to pull the bloke off Docherty and then dumped him as a last resort. It's dangerous and stupid, and a tribunal appearance and suspension is ok.

But as you point out, and others have said too, it is incomprehensible that similar isn't being applied to others. In particular:
- Stewart, for an identical act, with zero context (this is just in play, smashing a guy's head into the ground) = not even reported
- Fogarty, for hitting a defenseless opponent, late, with significant force = zero weeks, play on.
- For the other similar incidents in the same melee

After the farce that was Plowman's two week suspension for a 'football act'... followed by everyone in the media ganging up to make sure that Mackay got off for a far worse hit (that hospitalised a player with a very serious injury). When Buddy lines up and runs through a Carlton player and gets a fine that he can pay for with pocket change...

After both Curnow brothers get suspended in the same game, for innocuous contact with an umpire (the sort that happens a thousand times over the course of a season)]

Even after Selwood gets cleared for twice gouging a player's face in a match and stepping on a player, while Judd gets 3 weeks for the same offence.

It gets hard to not feel like again and again Carlton players cop the worst of the tribunal... and other clubs, particularly Geelong (and in this case Adelaide) get an absolute armchair run.

We should challenge this and take it to court, simply on principle if nothing happens to Stewart, Fogarty, and the others involved. Absolute farce.
Are you really trying to compare Fogarty's push of the Carlton player in that footage above to the dog act by Williams to lift up a crows player head and slam it into the ground..really

Are you really trying to compare Fogarty's push of the Carlton player in that footage above to the dog act by Williams to lift up a crows player head and slam it into the ground..really
No, I think he's commenting on the late hit into the body of Weitering - particularly when contrasted against Plowman's suspension for a "bump" in a marking contest against O'Meara.

No - as pointed out, I'm comparing that cheap dog Fogarty running through a defenseless Weitering. Although. if you watch the melee footage Fogarty also pushes Stocker's head into the astroturf, and Stocker was further slammed into the turf by Chase Jones (I think).

Clearly, though, the MRP felt that allowing Fogarty to play for Adelaide was a far bigger penalty than suspending him. Let's see if he can give away as many free kicks as he has disposals next week as well. Maybe that's a bit harsh. I mean, he only had 5 clangers from his 3 disposals, but he did lay his first tackle in two months, so I guess that partly cancels it out.

No - as pointed out, I'm comparing that cheap dog Fogarty running through a defenseless Weitering. Although. if you watch the melee footage Fogarty also pushes Stocker's head into the astroturf, and Stocker was further slammed into the turf by Chase Jones (I think).

Clearly, though, the MRP felt that allowing Fogarty to play for Adelaide was a far bigger penalty than suspending him. Let's see if he can give away as many free kicks as he has disposals next week as well. Maybe that's a bit harsh. I mean, he only had 5 clangers from his 3 disposals, but he did lay his first tackle in two months, so I guess that partly cancels it out.
Well since you bring up forwards, Fogarty is getting a run at least, how is McGovern going..I was hoping McNuggets might play yesterday but he seems to be overweight and a big liability. I suppose he can be de-listed at years end..or does he still have another year or 2 left on that 800K per year contract Carlton gave him. But anyway, tell your players not to lift up a head and slam it into the turf and they won;t get suspended

Well since you bring up forwards, Fogarty is getting a run at least, how is McGovern going..I was hoping McNuggets might play yesterday but he seems to be overweight and a big liability. I suppose he can be de-listed at years end..or does he still have another year or 2 left on that 800K per year contract Carlton gave him. But anyway, tell your players not to lift up a head and slam it into the turf and they won;t get suspended

Even fat, overpaid and injured, McGovern made a better contribution to our win on the weekend than Fogarty did for you.

And yep, Williams might have crossed a line but from what I can see at the tribunal, the biggest line he crossed was the colour of his guernsey. Add some horizontal white stripes and he probably gets an All-Australian nomination instead.

Even fat, overpaid and injured, McGovern made a better contribution to our win on the weekend than Fogarty did for you.

And yep, Williams might have crossed a line but from what I can see at the tribunal, the biggest line he crossed was the colour of his guernsey. Add some horizontal white stripes and he probably gets an All-Australian nomination instead.
McGovern...we gave you guys a promising upcoming young forward, what the hell has your club done to him?

Didn't Fogarty kick 2 goals though on the weekend..the same as McKay did?

BTW - Official assessment:

Zac Williams, Carlton, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Ben Keays, Adelaide Crows, during the third quarter of the Round 15 match between Carlton and the Adelaide Crows, played at Marvel Stadium on Sunday, June 27, 2021.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

The AFL is either serious about protecting the head, or it isn’t.

If they are then any player intentionally slamming another player’s head into the ground should get multiple weeks. To make it worse, both Cameron and Keays were defenceless at the time and the incidents occurred behind the play.

This is what they need to “make a statement” about. Instead we spend a week dragging an innocent player through the mud for a football accident. The focus is all wrong. Stamp this gutless **** out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back