Review What a year, with a bit less shine - end of season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to wrap up the year before getting into what might be a fairly sedate offseason... we'll see.

This was the summary a few weeks ago...

A 220% increase in wins.

Top 2.

A Brownlow favourite.

Equal third in the Coleman.

What a year (so far).

We've since lost 2/2 in our first finals appearance in a decade, including a nailbiter on Saturday. It feels like that shouldn't have significantly changed the year but by the same token it's a bit of a sour note to end on.

Great year. Better than expected.

This team is all about improvement, we'll get a good feel on next year, by how all the boys turn up to preseason. Last year they were ready to go and were training together before preseason. Hope they have the same fire and are ready to go.

A bloody good year, beyond all of our wildest expectations; still so upset though..

I'm interested to see which fringe players stay and go. Watched the NEAFL game yesterday and you can definitely see how unlucky half a dozen of them were to not get more/any senior action this year (despite our incredible injury run).

Last edited:

Really the only thing we missed out on was the experience of a final at the G. Other than obviously winning the flag, couldn’t have asked for much more.

Massive year.
I predicted 10 wins
Straight sets a little disappointing.
If we win 16 next year we will win the flag. Drawer will be tougher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many games I’d happily replay over the summer instead of the 2 or 3 we normally have.
I might replay some of this year's games instead of my usual diet of the 2001-2003 era.

One of the highlights for the season for me is bittersweet but had a big impact was the Lions chant that went up after the loss on Saturday as the players were walking off the field. Glad I stuck around for that - mostly because I was feeling a bit flat and didn't want to leave.

On the sweet side of things - that McCarthy speccy and goal to beat Geelong had me jumping out of my seat.

It was a great season even if it didnt end in a fairy tale finish. We have completely blown away my expectations of finishing just outside the 8 and makes me really excited for the year to come. Would have loved to win a final just for the experience but I'm sure the hunger will be there next year

Highlight of the year is probably Linc's mark to win the game against Geelong
Neale as a recruit has just been amazing - I knew he was good but maybe not this good
McClugg development into one of the best wingers in the comp. Super excited to see his further development
Rich having a massive year
As above Answerth stepping into the team and playing a crucial role has been massive
3 players in AA and two or 3 others that had claims to being unlucky
Fagan and the support staff have been amazing. Getting the team up again each week, tweaking our style when needed. Development has been huge

And then there was Hodge. Massive respect for what he has done to our team. Even down to his last two games he was playing brilliantly. Massive mentor that will be impossible to replace.

All round am super happy with our season

I might replay some of this year's games instead of my usual diet of the 2001-2003 era.

Haha, same here. Have put away my 2001-2004 DVD collection for now and switched to watching Fox Footy recordings of all our wins from this season, in particular, the last quarter of the Geelong game:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoutout to Daniel Rich. Thought he had his best season for us of his career. Was super important this year and will continue to be next year. His ball ise is sublime. He would have to be top 3 in the B&F I reckon.

Considering I went into the season hoping for 8-10 wins I honestly don't care we lost both finals (of course would have loved to win). After 15 years of not winning more than 10 games I will take 16 wins any day.

Our defence has improved immensely, we conceded 130 points a game 3 years ago against 77 this year. That's the lowest we've conceded in 20 years.

The attack was great, still a work in progress but miles better than the previous years.

Really proud of how the team played on Saturday night, shows the mental strength to come back from the Richmond hiding and it should give the team drive for next year.

Really important off season for a lot of out younger players especially the guys who played all year in the NEAFL, having them come back fitter, stronger and pushing the first team players will keep everyone on their toes and drive competition for spots.

More importantly we have scope to improve as a team, outside of a few players most of the list is 27 and under.

Last edited:
Great year. 2nd, 3 AA, lots of wins, Charlie, finals :) .. Yes be nice to win Saturday
lots of players went up a cog. some nice recruits.. can 2020 season start in a few weeks :)

A tougher draw interesting this year we played 7th, 9th, 10th and 12th twice.
Hawks where top 4 last year and we played twice this year.
Extra against pies, tigers, cats, Eagles and GWS be good for us.
Last few years 3 teams from the top 8 drops each year. One top 4 and two from 5-8.
2018-19 Hawks 4-9 Demons 5-17 and Swans 6-15
2017-18 Crows 1-12, Port 5-10 and Bombers 7-11
2016-17 Hawks 3-12, Dogs 7-10 and Kangas 8-15.

Last edited:
I understand the inclination to see the last few weeks as a disappointment for some especially given the rawness of the defeats but that risks undervaluing the strides we've taken this year. And yes, it may have been straight sets but neither loss was devastating and if anything showcased our growth. Our best is good enough - and we've been years from being able to say that.

For me the highlights of the year are things that I had doubted previously and have been proven so wrong about.

- the value of Hodge when he was recruited 2 years ago was a bit lost on me. How absolutely and utterly wrong I was.
- the ability of Zorko to grow into his role as captain and to be able to reign in his petulance. He's always been passionate - and if anything over zealous - but he's learning to harness that and lead by example. His newfound ability to stamp himself in a game at critical times catches me time after time.
- I never doubted the value of pick 12 for Charlie, but this year underscores just what an incredible asset he is to the team. He's humble, dilligent and a genuinely good guy with it - a rare combination.
- ditto for Lachie Neale. Exceeded every expectation I had - and the way he's built a rapport with the rest of midfield so quickly is incredible.
- Jarrod Lyons was always a bit of a favourite but I did have my doubts when GC let him go so easily. Wrong, wrong, wrong. What an intelligent, determined player he is. Yes he has some deficiencies but his ability to read play and make the most of opportunities is almost unmatched.

Add into that the wildly beyond expected growth of players like Rich, McCluggage & Robinson, the noticeable and valuable improvement in Berry, Witherden, McStay (yep I think his role has been a success) and Christensen, plus the out of the blue addition of Answerth and the growth in the team has been exponential - and most importantly I think - sustainable.

And for players like McCarthy, Hippy, Adams and Rayner who've all shown what they are capable of, another 12 months of experience and development will be invaluable for their confidence and consistency.

It's impossible to see this year as anything but a huge and unexpected success. The return to positive press and relevance of the club in AFL circles highlights just how far we've come.

A failure to acknowledge the importance of off feild experience, intelligence and stability would be remiss. In Fagan and his trusted assistants, Noble, Ambrogio, Conole and those in the footy department, Austin, Griffith and the incredible conditioning and rehab staff, Crowelly and those in welfare, Swann and Wellington in admin, we have the foundation and basis for sustained, independent success. And when it's so obviously us against the AFL thats critical.

As I stood at the ground on Saturday night watching the players firstly feel the same heartbreak we did in the stands, then hear the Lions chant and the acknowledgment of that by the team I realised adversity is our friend not our enemy. We are a unique club with a with a unique history no doubt. But after this year we are also a club writing a new one with a passion and closeness of players, staff and supporters I can't remember previously in my 20 year membership.

It's impossible to not feel incredibly positive about where we've come from and where we are headed.

Last edited:
Time to wrap up the year before getting into what might be a fairly sedate offseason... we'll see.

This was the summary a few weeks ago...

We've since lost 2/2 in our first finals appearance in a decade, including a nailbiter on Saturday. It feels like that shouldn't have significantly changed the year but by the same token it's a bit of a sour note to end on.
After the disappointment of the Collingwood game where it seemed the divide between us and the best teams was still too much, that we could go much closer to Richmond, beat Geelong, GWS, bulldogs who all really tested us through the midfield and on the rebound out of defence, was something that sweetens it up a ltitle bit.

Great year. Better than expected.

This team is all about improvement, we'll get a good feel on next year, by how all the boys turn up to preseason. Last year they were ready to go and were training together before preseason. Hope they have the same fire and are ready to go.
Definitely think hodgey will be keeping em up and about

One of the highlights for the season for me is bittersweet but had a big impact was the Lions chant that went up after the loss on Saturday as the players were walking off the field. Glad I stuck around for that - mostly because I was feeling a bit flat and didn't want to leave.

On the sweet side of things - that McCarthy speccy and goal to beat Geelong had me jumping out of my seat.
That win against geelong was such a watershed moment. This group has been completely validated under Fagan and all experience, good, bad, I hope is defining, real proud to support to the Lions who I always believe played with the most dare and guts. The buzzword "system" was a bit too evident as a spectator but I understand why and trust the process. Hope we can use the lessons from this year to build mastery and awareness and continue to be known as the best team to watch, as well as win the ultimate prize

Man crush levels hit a new high for me Saturday night with Charlie coming back on when he looked gone for all money. To have as much impact as he did given the circumstances, well I cast my mind back to a scene in Jerry Maguire and where Rod Tidwell (Cuba Gooding Jnr) says "No Heart....No Heart...i'm all heart M*****f***er"

Chuck is all in for the lads and the team, what a man!! He has a lot more substance than what I initially gave him credit for, worth every cent and more.

wowee! what a ride.

what could have been... but also, what a awesome reintroduction to the footy world that we are back.

I feel a bit like Fages in his final presser where he was absolutely disappointed, but just kept coming back to our positives.

Some career defining years by the likes of
Rich - glad to see his grunt for the footy now partners nicely with his sublime kicking
Charles - gotta love him! a bit all over the place over the year (but hey he got the goals too). His speccy attempts were seemingly outlawed, then his set shots went awry, then his out the back speedster came into full effect, then he got locked down, and finally finished it up with a supremely gutsy performance. Great ride from him, I think the best is still yet to come :D
Zorko - Don't know if from a stats side this has been his best, but his captaincy I think has been good (don't know how much credit should go to Hodge, but I don't want to take away from Daynes good work). He has toned down his aggressive stupidity somewhat, and his pressure was great. In that final when he was obliterating the clearances for a while it was awesome to watch.
Neale - Screw it he has never played a better season (or really, who cares how good he was at the dockers :D) Love his work. love his work ethic, and love what he has brought to us.
Lyons - ditto to him too. Also his ability to sneak goals is really great. Had a patch of less effect, but I think after the bye there was some stat where he was leading/near top of all midfielders in the comp? Great work to him for the year (also in conjunction with Neale, them taking ownership of the midfield clearances is impressive. Hopefully with another preseason this can only get better)
Andrews - well he finally got an AA. Saved our bacon a lot of the time. I think this year he has also lessened some of his more lackadaisical disposals, but I want them completely eradicated :D. Honestly don't know what his ratio of spoils:intercepts should be. Some games I think he spoils too much, but then others hes an intercepting machine. Great year by him
Gardiner - just keeps p his really solid work. Even saw him up around the goals here and there which shocked me slightly :D
Robinson - just gotta love what he brings to the team. really sad he wasn't there for our final game..

McCluggage continues to grow, and he is looking really comfortable going for his evasive moves. Also a real proactive goal scorer which is great. So so happy by Berry's final game of the year. Was it two injuries (or sickness and injury?) he had in the preseason/season? Sometimes bit off more than he could chew and rushed his final disposal, but the aggression and hunting of the ball he had in the final was a sign of whats to come.
I don't know enough tactically, but I like the effect of Cig O and Martin together. Martin has been a workhorse for so long, and in that final showed him at his near best. Oscar I think will still improve. I've been pleasantly surprised as his ground ball gets/tackling pressure and handballs in congestion hes done through the year. More work gelling with the rest of the forward line I think will be good.
After last year I think Witherden has improved really well. His defensie work has been better, and I think as time goes on he will have some more smarts in the one of ones. Didn't always go for the risky kick he had before, but in the final game it was on full effect with that beautiful pass to Robertson. Hodgey had a great year (that run down tackle versus....West Coast I think? and his awesome final series was a treat :D

Adams I think was a success. Hes no use in the twos, and proved his worth with some good games, showing his intercepting and body work quite nicely. Hopefully a clean run for him next year to continue to improve. Ditto to McCarthy. I think he may soon be my favourite player (there's something about his leaping marks (not speccys on top of someone else)). Some hurried disposals through the year show up from time to time, but I think he can be a real winner with another good preseason. I think Christensen proved his worth this year, I've actually forgotten where we have been playing him before, was it up front or on the half back... oh well when he was fit he took some really good opportunistic goals. Also has some more composure which is good to see from him. I think the year for Rayner will provide a lot of fire in the belly. I remember in his first some of his marking was some sublime, that has gone a bit to the wind. Also some around the corner kicks in congestion were truly bad this year. But really, he showed what he can do in plenty of games (in short bursts mind you). That Richmond game he was 90% of the way of completely ripping it open. I think a really solid preseason will propel him to heights we've yet to see :D McStay (never McSpray... man I hate that name) I see his best when hes just outside the 50 or even further up the field. Some truly great marking hes done and some really good play ons to set up a goal. Also surprisingly really good at sneaky chances at goals. Where it ultimately falls down was his set shots.. gone over ad nauseum. Personally I love the guy an I think if he can slightly fix his accuracy we've got a winner (I mean his accuracy seems bad but when stacked up comparing to others its not truly horrid, but slightly :p)

Hippy.. you can see the massive potential continually. This year I've been really really pleased with his judgement in some of his marks, previously was running under them too much. Don't know if he used his speed to full potential through the year, but there was enough moments of supremacy which should fuel him for next year.

Bailey I think will be so much better for his continued game experience. Gotta love his endeavour on the ball and speed. Answerth.. I think many were blown away by the kid. His whole year while not as flashy as some other rising stars was really really solid. Really pleased for him.

And then the unluckies. Lester I think was really unlucky to be that man dropped, showed some of his haters wrong with his work (I mean he's not all that slow ffs..)Mathieson I think had some good grunt, cleaned up his disposal a bit more this year, but really disliked his suspension act. Robertson proved what he can do in that final game, actually thought his year when he was playing in the firsts was quite good. He has continually improved (and is that continues would like to see what he brings next year). Taylor i'm really confused with, at his best his running is so good to the team. I forget when he last played tbh. Cutler..well when hes on and firing the ball into the 50 its a joy to watch. Lets just hope he can do what the coaches are wanting for him, I still think if he gets to his best he adds so much to the team.

And there I think my patter is done. I think for so many of our players for 70% + of the time they played 85% or more of their best ability. I think this year we lessened games where a few players were absolute duds. Some good team-round efforts lead to some really solid games so that was pleasing.

Seems we are keeping our assistant coaches which is good. From my untrained eye our support staff have been awesome all year (touch wood for injuries). Honestly I hope the hype around us lets us get some really good major sponsors (that look good on the jersey please...:D) Ethically minded maybe not a gambling company :) But hey money is money

onto the future! and now to watch the highlight vids/all the goals and match replays :D

Oh and a review of the crowds for the year (both at the Gabba and afield..

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Good to see a couple of posters acknowledge Zorko. I for one was very worried about him as captain. I think he grew into the role. He’s not perfect (who is?) and still has the odd petulant moment. But overall he kept his head, improved statistically in the less spectacular areas, was more team orientated and still provided flashes of brilliance. Thought he really flew the flag on Saturday night. Leadership is in good hands.

While the wins through the year were great, hopefully the club is looking very closely at the finals performance. Lots to be proud of, but lots to learn.

Despite the dreadful umpiring, I think we lost because the sides we played in the finals were stronger, cleaner and calmer at critical times, or for a greater portions of the game. The experience will make us stronger physically. I worry that it won’t necessarily improve our ball handling sureness or make our decision making better. We need more class in the mid-field.

In the finals our forward structure was found out. I like McStay and think at this stage of team development he is our best key forward. However in other finals sides he would be second or even third forward. Unless a key forward falls from the sky during the trade period we need to give Skinner or Fullerton a chance early next year. I see Ballenden as more a ruck forward. Also a big fan of Hipwood but I see him really as a very tall half forward, not a KPF.

Natural development and guys coming through the seconds may help with developing greater depth of skills. I have high hopes for Smith, Wooler, young Berry and Cox. Anyone else we target during the trade period must add class to the best 22.

Still think it’s about 2021. We need to build again next year.

Oh and thanks for the memories Hodgy!

Amazing year. We are a charismatic, energetic, talented, RESPECTED team. But one of the most imperfect top 2 teams you will ever find. Our ball use and execution is highly flawed alot of the time.

Tiger Tiger double and finals footy exposed us and exposed our flaws, our effort was first class, but we are still so raw - we wern't ready just yet.

Straight sets it bitterly disappointing but predictable. Defending home twice with expectations attached was a recipe for disaster, but it serves as a brilliant experience for our young team and will also keep them hungry in the off season. Once the dust settled there is some benefit there.

I am fairly content because 5th feels about right, I don't believe we were ready for a serous tilt yet and Saturday showed that.

Best news is we are right at the start of our Arc, only 3 players over 30 on Saturday and youth taboot - only at about 60% of this groups ceiling.

How the players treat the next 6 weeks is vitally important. I got SHOUTED DOWN when i questioned Rayners music festivals and Noosa cheese platters last year and what do you know, it become the story of his year. There is no green light for an excessive drop in standards over the break, the best of the best maintain them year round.

Very happy proud supporter, I love this club.

PS - improvement isn't lineal. We may find we go backwards next year and that is not the end of the world. Obviously we don't want to do a Melbourne but if we are 3-5 or something like that after 8 rounds we don't need to have a meltdown. This is a 5 - 10 year journey we are on, let's not let a lightning bolt season set the bar too high to avoid an enjoyable year or two. We have to deal with expectation, being a hunted team and tougher draw.. challenges that we will have to grow through.

Last edited:
Really the only thing we missed out on was the experience of a final at the G. Other than obviously winning the flag, couldn’t have asked for much more.
Gives us something to focus on for next year ey? Benchmark rematch against tiges!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back