Society/Culture What are Australian values?

Remove this Banner Ad

The new citizenship test is also going to test potential citizens in their knowledge, and adoption of Australian values, the Prime Minister has already suggested a few headline points as to what these values are, but these seemed more common sense, and already established legal requirements than any uniquely Australian value. So what are these Australian values that new citizens will be required to ascribe to, and are they actually Australian in any way, or are they common traits found in most civil societies?

a laid back attitude, but get in and get it done when needed.
self deprecating humor.

also 99% of the people i have ever associated with do not want a bar of a pious style religious belief. have your faith but do not shove it down other peoples throats. this goes for evangelical christian's, hindu, muslim etc... i would include atheists, agnostics in that as well.

- Respect for the democratic process.
- Respect for freedom of speech.
- Respect for the common law.
- Respect for women.
- Honesty.
- Loyalty to the nation.
- Dislike of Dole Bludgers.
- Work hard, play hard attitude.

Australian values or Generic catch all phrases .....I'd suggest a Family Feud format with key members of the political, social, arts and business elite.

For the points ....can you show me Religious Tolerance ....be careful Dastyari Family ...the Dutton family are ready for the steal.

a laid back attitude, but get in and get it done when needed.
self deprecating humor.

also 99% of the people i have ever associated with do not want a bar of a pious style religious belief. have your faith but do not shove it down other peoples throats. this goes for evangelical christian's, hindu, muslim etc... i would include atheists, agnostics in that as well.
So basically with that last point you are saying an Australian value is being a mindless idiot. Never thinking about our place in the world and how we are connected. Just wandering around like ants responding to intuitive impulses. I so want to be a part of your Australia.

- Respect for the democratic process.
- Respect for freedom of speech.
- Respect for the common law.
- Respect for women.
- Honesty.
- Loyalty to the nation.
- Dislike of Dole Bludgers.
- Work hard, play hard attitude.
No respect for men?

Honesty and loyalty are universal human values. Not a set of values that specific sub group of humans can claim as their own.

So basically with that last point you are saying an Australian value is being a mindless idiot. Never thinking about our place in the world and how we are connected. Just wandering around like ants responding to intuitive impulses. I so want to be a part of your Australia.
no not saying that Seeds. if you have read any of the religion/god type threads on SRP you will see it is certainly not the case. i just don't like the over the top evangelical approach eg. trying to convert people in a pretentious or condescending manner. the my religion/belief is better than yours, i know better attitude is a turn off.

caveat- except if you seek out or invite that type of discussion eg. some BF SRP threads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically with that last point you are saying an Australian value is being a mindless idiot. Never thinking about our place in the world and how we are connected. Just wandering around like ants responding to intuitive impulses.

Nailed it :thumbsu:

The new citizenship test is also going to test potential citizens in their knowledge, and adoption of Australian values, the Prime Minister has already suggested a few headline points as to what these values are, but these seemed more common sense, and already established legal requirements than any uniquely Australian value. So what are these Australian values that new citizens will be required to ascribe to, and are they actually Australian in any way, or are they common traits found in most civil societies?

What do you think Australian values are? Going to go out on a limb here and suggest you have an ulterior motive.

"Treating everyone equally*"

*unless you're homosexual. Then everyone has to vote whether you can be married.
Or a degree 6 zoosexual that's only physically and emotionally attracted to velociraptors. You would only ever find non-sexual, re-imaginations of what they really look like.

That would be horrible.

What do you think Australian values are? Going to go out on a limb here and suggest you have an ulterior motive.
None at all, saw the PM talking about them this morning, and was wondering what people would consider Oz values, and whether they are uniquely Australian. Tolerance, and a fair go are Oz values for mine, but in most westernised countries these values are held dearly as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back