Society/Culture What are Australian values?

Remove this Banner Ad

Two values that spring to mind, but might be more traditional values, are the christian work ethic i.e. australians believe it is by hard work that you get what you need, earn income. Hard work was a requisite to survive a harsh climate. This value lingers in most still. On the other hand we happily look after the sick, the infirm and the needy.

The other value is a need for peace. We have made a peaceful society so that we can engage in creative leisure time activities such as art, dance, music, etc. So we can philosophise, play sport, feel safe. Go about our lives in our unique way.

Working is a must for a healthy individual/ collective psyche, especially in the productive years and peace loving is also a fundamental for a happy and creative life.

I should add a third. Australians practice birth control so that we maintain a sustainable population growth. We have had zero population growth, once the catholics got on board up until recently. It's how we remain sustainable to the environment and maintain a peaceful society. I don't know why the countries with problems don't try it.

Two values that spring to mind, but might be more traditional values, are the christian work ethic i.e. australians believe it is by hard work that you get what you need, earn income. Hard work was a requisite to survive a harsh climate. This value lingers in most still. On the other hand we happily look after the sick, the infirm and the needy.

The other value is a need for peace. We have made a peaceful society so that we can engage in creative leisure time activities such as art, dance, music, etc. So we can philosophise, play sport, feel safe. Go about our lives in our unique way.

Working is a must for a healthy individual/ collective psyche, especially in the productive years and peace loving is also a fundamental for a happy and creative life.

I should add a third. Australians practice birth control so that we maintain a sustainable population growth. We have had zero population growth, once the catholics got on board up until recently. It's how we remain sustainable to the environment and maintain a peaceful society. I don't know why the countries with problems don't try it.
I think you'll find that you are quoting the Protestant Work Ethic. You should do some reseach and understand what it actually means.

Eureka Stockade

Southern Cross

Beating the daylights out of your workmate who voted the wrong way in a union election and threatening a subcontractor with photos of his wife taking the kids to school.
Isn't it funny that miners fought the law to protest against paying taxes, but 200 years later the only people not paying taxes are the extremely rich and multinational companies.

I don't accept this cliche that our soldiers fought and died for our freedoms. With the exception of WWII, our freedoms were never at stake. Plus, many soldiers in WWI went for the adventure, with no comprehension of the horrific conditions they would face. Even now, plenty of our soldiers sign up as a career choice, not to 'protect our democracy'.
Most do actually. Especially at the officer levels I would say it's over 90% in my opinion, having worked in the area for a fair while.

On the alcoholism bit, this scene (indeed the entire movie, which is bloody excellent) nails it:

I'm no wowser, I enjoy getting pissed occasionally. But it just seems inexorably linked to having a good time in Australia.

Our socially acceptable, legal face of substance abuse, yet a largely harmless plant remains forbidden.

Telling anyone with a somewhat foreign sounding name to go back where you came from if you don't act how they're acting.

Eg. Dawn Fraser saying that if Kyrgios and Tomic don't like it they should 'go back to where their fathers or their parents came from. We don’t need them here in this country if they act like that'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently giving people a fair go isn't one of them. I'm all for kicking out troublemakers that come here, but give em a shot first you pussy cats.
It's as if they think they've got the moral authority to judge people off their future intentions

Telling anyone with a somewhat foreign sounding name to go back where you came from if you don't act how they're acting.

Eg. Dawn Fraser saying that if Kyrgios and Tomic don't like it they should 'go back to where their fathers or their parents came from. We don’t need them here in this country if they act like that'

When you think about it scots are particularly prone to racism

Scots are prone to many neurotic traits, but in my experience, racism ain't one of em.....And I'm Scottish.

Yeah, but everyone in the UK dislikes everyone from the UK. They all want to fight each other. That's what many outside the UK don't understand. Some people see them as racist, when they spend half the time fighting each other, especially when leaving a pub.

While POMs are quick to be perpetrated as invaders, England suffered several invasions by true invaders.

But how does that interpret to Australian values? Treat race and gender equally?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back