What are Australia's most chilling crimes?

Remove this Banner Ad

The most famous and it was tragic but not sure if it's chilling

Ivan Milat gets my vote. Creepy SOB.

Agree on that; that case chills me to the bone. Also creepy are the Easy Street Murders (I watched a documentary on that late one night, found it hard to sleep) and the Wanda Beach Murders in Sydney in the mid 1960s.

I also agree on the Beaumont Children - it is very tragic but more mysterious. How did three children - in a more innocent time of 1966 - simply vanish into thin air on a crowded beach? If they were abducted, how did the perpetrator manage to convince three children, the oldest of whom was known to be very mature and responsible, to go with him? Surely abducting three children would be far more difficult? (not that I want to think like a person who would do this). And even more mysterious, some of the last people to see the children saw them alone later in the day, with no adult accompanying them.

From a 2009 perspective it's crazy that three such young children,the youngest being four the oldest nine IIRC were allowed to go to the beach by themselves:eek:

John Sharpe who in 2004 killed his wife and child by shooting them in the head with a spear gun while they were sleeping and then dumped their dismembered remains at the rubbish tip. He then went on television and acted as though he was mourning their loss. Very disturbing.

i live a few streets away from the house and haved lived up here since 99'.
my wife is a nurse and had taken blood from this little weasel before, she couldn't believe it when it happened although she mentioned that he did appear creepy and a bit weird, who the hell would think someone would do this?

The Sydney gang rapes.

The following is one of several similar attacks that occurred in 2000.

30 August 2000, Wednesday

Another woman was approached by attackers at the Bankstown train station, who proposed she join them in smoking some marijuana at another location. She agreed and went with them, however she was taken to three separate locations by the men, raped 25 times by a total of fourteen men, in an ordeal that lasted six hours.

Although no murders took place, one cannot being to imagine the terror and torment these young girls went through, and no doubt continue to go through.

the skaf brothers, these sons of bitches have never showed any remorse for this and whats worse is their families defend them to the hilt and have said quotes that girls shouldn't dress provocatively, they were seduced etc. i remember the whole family, sisters and all, spitting at the cameras and going the cameramen when this happened, couldnt believe the filth that was coming out of their mouths. the family needs to be sent back to lebanon because there has never been the slightest remorse shown at all.

also, the sarah mcdiarmid murder/disappearance back in 1990 from kananook station, all they found was her little red car and massive pools of blood around it. i was going out with a chick who lived in langwarrin at the time and used to drive down skye rd to get to her house, i used to drive right past the parents house who kept her car out the front for years so that if she ever turned up again they'd know her parents were still there, that was tragic and chilling.

Three way tie for me between:
- The murder of Anita Cobby
- The double homicide of Abina McGill and Gary Heywood
- The Walsh St police murders

(Dis)Honorable mentions to Ivan Milat, Martin Bryant and Julian Knight.

The Bega Schoolgirl Murders.
Abduction of Barry and Collins

On 3 October 1997, a camp site was set up by the father of Nichole Collins at White Rock, near Bega, for his teenage daughter to invite friends over for the coming Labour Day long weekend. The camp site was located three kilometres from the Collins' home. The girls would regularly call at the house while camping to change clothing, shower and eat. Collins' father regularly called at the camp site to check on the children and did so on the day the girls disappeared. At approximately 9pm on 5 October 1997, Collins, wearing her high school jacket, and her younger friend Barry, left a group of friends at the camp site and walked off for a nearby party.
A Ford Telstar belonging to Camilleri's defacto partner and driven by Camilleri was nearby with Beckett alongside him in the passenger seat. Camilleri had an argument hours earlier with his defacto partner and talked to Beckett about his feelings of depression. He and Beckett were consuming beer and injecting each other with amphetamines[4] while driving aimlessly.
According to Beckett, it was Camilleri who spotted the girls walking single file along the Bega-Tathra Road in Evan's Hill and stopped to offer them a lift. At approximately 10pm, after a brief discussion with the men the girls entered the car willingly. A pink portable television set, which had earlier been taken by Camilleri and Beckett from a friend in lieu of a drug-related debt was removed from the back seat of the vehicle and discarded at the side of the road to provide room for the girls to sit. The television set would later become important evidence and implicate the two men in their crimes to follow.
The group travelled to Tathra Beach and spent some time there before returning to the camp site at White Rock. On the road leading to the camp site, Camilleri became disturbed at the car bottoming out on the uneven gravel road and became angry at the girls. The rear doors of the vehicle had been previously locked using the vehicle's child locks, preventing the rear doors from being opened by passengers inside. Camilleri produced a knife and told the girls they would be stabbed if they tried to escape. Beckett also produced a knife and went along with Camilleri in threatening the girls.
"Whilst Les (Camilleri) was going off, he pulled his knife out of a pocket in the driver's door. This was a black handled pocket knife with a serrated edge. Les turned around to the girls and showed them the knife. He told them to shut up and not to say anything. Les said if they did not do what he said, he would stab them. During this Les told me to get my knife. I got my knife out of the glove box. I have a black handled knife with a jagged edge. I showed the girls I had a knife, too. I said to the girls to do as Les says." Camilleri reversed away from the camp site and drove onto Old Wallagoot Road.

Assaults

Rather than being returned to the camp site as earlier promised, the girls were driven to a rubbish dump off Old Wallagoot Road, not far from their homes in Bega, and raped. They were then driven further south, passing through the town of Merimbula until the car stopped at Ben Boyd National Park and the girls were further assaulted. A black rubber torch belonging to Barry and a tampon were later located at the scene by police.
They continued through the town of Eden, where the men again raped the girls in an area south of Eden. Camilleri then ordered Beckett to drive, while Camilleri continued to force Barry to perform oral sex on him in the back seat. They drove towards Orbost before turning off and eventually stopping at Wingan Point in Victoria, where the girls were again assaulted.
Camilleri slept, but later woke up and realised he was deep into the state of Victoria. Beckett recalled in his statement to police,
"I drove down the highway and just before Cann River Les woke up. He wanted to know where we were. I told him we were in Victoria heading to Orbost. Les cracked the shits and was abusing me. He was saying he wanted to go to Sydney. He kept saying 'the bridge'. I took this to mean he wanted to throw the girls off the bridge because he had spoken about this before. (reference to Rosamari Gandarias) There are some bridges on the way to Sydney on the Hume Highway which have great drops." The girls began to question the men, asking if they were going to be murdered. Camilleri assured the girls they would only be tied up so the men could make their escape. During this time Beckett recalled Camilleri repeating the words "They can't go back", referring to his intention to murder the girls to avoid detection for their crimes.

Double murder

The final stop, at approximately 8am the following morning, was at Fiddler's Green Creek, located just south of the Victorian border with New South Wales. The girls' hands were tied and they were ordered along a remote bush track over rugged terrain to a creek. The group walked alongside the creek for several hundred metres. Camilleri ordered the girls to remove their clothing and wash their vaginas thoroughly to remove any evidence of the prior sexual assaults.
After washing, the girls were then ordered to lie on their stomachs before being retied and gagged. There were then separated by a distance of approximately 30 metres as Camilleri and Beckett discussed what to do next. Camilleri demanded Beckett drown the girls but Beckett protested, saying it was unfair that he had to kill both. Beckett eventually complied when an argument occurred and Camilleri threatened to stab Beckett if he did not do as wanted.

Murder of Lauren Barry

Beckett attempted to first drown Barry, who was tied up near the creek. After a struggle, he became angry when his knee became wet. He reached for his knife and stabbed Barry in the neck, accidentally cutting his finger. Beckett described the scene to police as follows,
"I went over to Lauren and dragged her down to the water. I held her head under the water. She was struggling and she knocked me into the water. One of my knees, I think the left went into the water. This pissed me off a little bit and I opened my knife, it was in my left hand and I stabbed Lauren in the left side of the neck. I said in my interview that it was the right side of the neck with my right hand but I am been thinking since. It wasn't my right thumb which was cut but my left. After a couple of seconds after I stabbed her she stopped moving."
Murder of Nichole Collins

Beckett then ran up the embankment towards Collins who was tied to a tree and out of view of Barry who now lay dying in the creek bed. Beckett slashed Collins to the throat several times then began to punch and kick her when he realised she had not died instantly from the knife wounds.
"After I stabbed Lauren, I ran up the bank to where I tied Nichole up. She must have heard what I had done to Lauren because when I got to her she said, 'you're going to kill me, aren't you.' I said 'shut up' and walked around to her left side and I cut her throat two or three times. This was across her throat. The knife was in my left hand. Nichole was sitting down when I cut her throat. After this she was thrashing around on the ground. She was trying to scream but nothing was coming out. I think I kicked her because she wouldn't keep still. And then I put my foot on to her to keep her still. This didn't work so I stabbed her in the throat. I aimed and stabbed at the hard thing in her neck. I pushed the knife all the way in but she still wouldn't keep still so I worked out where her heart would be and I stabbed her on the left side of the chest. She still didn't stop moving so I stabbed her in the front of the chest. I was aiming for her heart. I needed two hands to get the knife through her chest. She kept moving so I kicked her in the head a couple of times. She still kept moving but she was slowing down. I waited until she stopped moving which didn't take long." After the murders, Camilleri, who was not present during the murders and was waiting in the car, asked Beckett "Did you see the demon?". The pair quickly left the crime scene with Beckett driving and returned to New South Wales.

f#3king pigs.

From a 2009 perspective it's crazy that three such young children,the youngest being four the oldest nine IIRC were allowed to go to the beach by themselves:eek:

At 4 years of age in 1972/73 I would walk out of the front door after breakfast, I would come home at lunchtime or if I needed to do a number 2. I would go out again and come back home for dinner.

I grew up in Geelong and all the families knew each other for 3 or 4 blocks. Everyone used to watch out for each other.

Across the road was all agricultural land and at that time the developers were there putting all the infrastructure in. Roads, water, power, sewerage etc etc. I'd spend all day watching the earthmoving equipment and mucking around with other kids. After you became familiar to the machine operators they'd invite you into the cabin of the bulldozer, scraper or whatever and you could sit on their lap for a while as they worked. (they were strangers, not locals)

Times change. Not for the better in a lot of respects.

Times certainly do change...I shudder now when I think of some of the things I was allowed to do, or situations mum + dad put me in, which just wouldn't happen now...

We were living up in the mallee area of victoria when I was a kid of about 5, and to visit my grandparents down in Geelong, I would have to catch a train to Ballarat, then the train driver would take charge of me and put me on the Geelong train...I always sat up in the drivers cabin..

The drivers were usually unknown to my parents, they just trusted these people to look after me....and they did,....... but!!

It was the way of things back then (many moons ago;)) , doors weren't locked, kids sent out to play early morning, not to return until night time etc...

It seems an innocent carefree era now when looking back on it all....those days are well and truely gone.....

I would vote for:

Murder wise:
The Port Arthur massacre as there's a personal connection to that and minus a science report we could have been there (had a shack on the peninsula, got free tix to port Arthur for 4 visits per year and were planning to go to the shack that weekend).
Also, Milat's murders chilled me when I read into them and Anita Cobby's murderers deserved the death penalty IMO and I was Almost physically sick when I read some of the stuff.
Other: those skaf bastards IMo deserve to die. I don't care if they were hiding behind their culture - what a load of crap that was. They were sick bastards looking for an excuse and they used their culture in a manner that was as callous as their crime.
Crime Investigation: That show chills me to the flaming bone. The recreations are a bit too realisitic for my view. I can read about such things all I like and i'm fine but after one of the episodes I was freaked. The other "bad" one was those two blokes that kidnapped the hosewife. I can't recall her name but apparently the files are still closed although a discussion forum on the show had a post from someone who seemed to know facts regarding the murder. Which was confronting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Katherine Knight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Knight

She was convicted in October 2001 of the murder of her de facto husband, John Charles Thomas Price (born 1956), and is currently detained in Mulawa Correctional Centre.

On or about 29 February 2000, Knight stabbed Price to death with a butcher's knife while chasing him around their home. Her fury was reportedly triggered by the AVO Price had filed against her the previous week.

After Price was killed, Knight skinned him and hung his skin from a meat hook on the architrave of a door in their lounge room. She then decapitated him and placed the head in a pot on the stove, baked flesh from his buttocks, and prepared vegetables and gravy to serve as a meal to his children, which was accompanied by vindictive notes from Knight. Police found the meal before the children arrived home.

other sites
http://groups.google.com/group/Bible-Prophecy-News/browse_thread/thread/ba5ae8ffcee5c9ba

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...ce-appeal-fails/2006/09/11/1157826846642.html

http://www.geocities.com/neil404bc/knight.htm

http://www.philosophyblog.com.au/ab...ing-his-head-katherine-knight-and-john-price/

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/27/1040511174667.html

seriously ****ed up s**t

At 4 years of age in 1972/73 I would walk out of the front door after breakfast, I would come home at lunchtime or if I needed to do a number 2. I would go out again and come back home for dinner.

I grew up in Geelong and all the families knew each other for 3 or 4 blocks. Everyone used to watch out for each other.

Across the road was all agricultural land and at that time the developers were there putting all the infrastructure in. Roads, water, power, sewerage etc etc. I'd spend all day watching the earthmoving equipment and mucking around with other kids. After you became familiar to the machine operators they'd invite you into the cabin of the bulldozer, scraper or whatever and you could sit on their lap for a while as they worked. (they were strangers, not locals)

Times change. Not for the better in a lot of respects.

That sounds so dodgy! :eek: Like the time that Catholic priest invited me into the rectory after confession....

That sounds so dodgy! :eek: Like the time that Catholic priest invited me into the rectory after confession....

lol, it does, but there were numerous pieces of equipment being operated in the vicinity. I used to get to ride in a few different types of trucks/machinery.

Beckett - Life with a minimum of 35 years because he testified against Camilleri

Camilleri - Natural Life (never to be released)
These are pretty bullshit IMO. Beckett the one who killed both the girls gets a lesser penalty than Camillieri? Yes Camillieri was the leader and told Beckett to kill the girls but if Beckett didn't do it, who knows if Camillieri would've had the balls do it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back