What are Australia's most chilling crimes?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was horrified when I read this post.....never entered my mind that those poor kids (and their mum) weren't buried properly somewhere. They deserve this at least.
Have to wonder how and why they are in a University collection.

Have never forgotten this murder.....hope the father gets caught, but I guess he won't after all this time.
I believe the skulls were part of a collection from Geelong hospital; the university was gifted the specimens to care for. For numerous reasons, though the forensic specimens are particularly of interest to forensic students. I assume Geelong hospital may have conducted the autopsies of the children, I'm not sure where they did the autopsies in Victoria back then.

The suspect died in 2005 I think it was.

The gang rape and murder of Anita Cobby, for me. The paperback Someone Else's Daughter chronicling her life and murder, as well as the CI re-enactments, still leave me chilled to the bone.

Ever seen The Boys? That movie is devastating.

I actually was on good terms with the daughter of the senior sarge at Bowral when all the backpacker murders came to light
It took a very toll on those who worked it

Why did that 1 person get less?
In SA you can also apply for a sentence reduction if you plead guilty immediately. The Judge in the sentencing forgot to take this into account

Link from Dec 2016

MURDERERS could walk free from jail well before serving the 20-year legal mandatory minimum term after the state’s highest court allowed a controversial sentence for a confessed killer to stand.

In a landmark ruling on Wednesday, the Full Court of the Court of Criminal Appeal upheld XXX XXX 15-year non-parole period over the “savage and violent” murder of XXX XXX, at Aldinga last year.

20 years is the starting point in SA. Only 1 person has been given less ( that I am aware of) and they got 15

Jason Downey (Kapunda murders) Got 33 years for brutally stabbing THREE members of the same family. Would've killed them all but the brother was away from home. Had he killed all four it would've met the legal definition of a massacre.
He should have got a minimum of 45 imho. 15 years for each of his victims.
I was listening to a podcast re the bloke who drove his kids into the dam on fathers day, to make his wife suffer, which he has succeeded in doing as well as ruining many more lives. I just couldn't fathom doing what he did to his kids and ex wife.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/australian-true-crime/id1217681421?mt=2

"On Fathers Day" is the episode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it go back and forth every time and is it pacey?

Nah it's a slow burn with mono tone narration. Very factual, just lays out the timeline of events with some podcasts using sound bites eg Karmein Chans mother pleading for the kidnapper "Mr Cruel" to let her go is harrowing.

Nah it's a slow burn with mono tone narration. Very factual, just lays out the timeline of events with some podcasts using sound bites eg Karmein Chans mother pleading for the kidnapper "Mr Cruel" to let her go is harrowing.

Thank you.

Whilst working in Goulburn Correctional Centre I was lucky enough to be a responding officer when Michael Murphy was found with Razor Wire up his backside. Some unidentified inmates inserted conduit up his arse with razor wire inside of it, death was to easy for the Cobby Killers.

Razor wire is lovely stuff. They say shooting a prisoner trapped in razor wire is putting them out of their misery.

Razor being the operative word.

The break-in at the Westinghouse factory was pretty chilling...
On a serious note, I have seen the crime scene photos from Greenough. The public was never told half of what happened there. Can't believe that ****er will ever be let out.
From a personal persepective Sharon Mason was pretty bad. She was going to my school when she disappeared, and afterwards every now and then you'd see things like taking a book out of the library and her name is in it as a previous borrower. Then it was so long before she was even found.

The interesting thing was, Greer had a 'dress shop'.

Do you know what sort of dress shop he had?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back