Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Genuine question. Those bids and subsequent pick swaps seemed like their Recruitment team were throwing the toys out of the cot. But why? I don’t recall any specific trade dealings with them recently that would have rubbed them up the wrong way.

Interested to hear from any Carlton lurkers as well, as to why they’d want to make enemies out of us and GWS??

Dec 30, 2007
Great Southern Land
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Bears
Genuine question. Those bids and subsequent pick swaps seemed like their Recruitment team were throwing the toys out of the cot. But why? I don’t recall any specific trade dealings with them recently that would have rubbed them up the wrong way.

Interested to hear from any Carlton lurkers as well, as to why they’d want to make enemies out of us and GWS??

Maybe they were just 9 & 10 on their list, they're entitled to ask the question....

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve been lurking most boards tonight.

I think we genuinely wanted Henry. We are crying out for a gun small forward and Henry is that. Would’ve slotted straight into our 22 and learnt alongside Eddie for the next year or two. 9 is certainly around the mark for a talent like him. SOS mentioned in an interview post draft that he had Henry inside our 10.

Bidding on Green was just keeping them honest. Realistically should’ve been bid on at 3. Amazing how he slid so far.

The following trade was a calculated risk on Kemp falling. Which paid off. Perhaps a bit of good will with the Suns to keep away from Martin too? Who knows.

I don’t see how you could be unhappy with a haul of Young, Serong and Henry in any case. Serong was our target @ 9 and Young’s kicking skills were the talk of our board when we had a whiff of him sliding. Outside of GC with 1+2 you clearly have the best haul so far.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Maybe they were just 9 & 10 on their list, they're entitled to ask the question....

Pretty clear that neither of those kids were going anywhere but their Academy clubs though. Look at McGinness. All other clubs have respected that connection and he is a gun.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Pretty clear that neither of those kids were going anywhere but their Academy clubs though. Look at McGinness. All other clubs have respected that connection and he is a gun.
Worth the bids still in case our clubs were looking for a smaller deficit.

It seemed clear that Carlton had a set top 10 and then rated the next rung of players quite a bit lower, they exhausted their top 10 and decided they could get players that suited them at lower picks by trading with Gold Coast.

Nothing wrong with what they did.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
With Carlton Placing an early bid it put them in a better position to have Freo decline the match. It obviously took some trade negotiations for Freo to be comfortable matching the bid. After a 20% discount on pick 9 the points required are equivalent to pick 14.

I’m surprised though that they didn’t bid Green first. He was widely regarded as the higher valued player.

I had a feeling after Sydney selected Stephens and Freo selected Young/Serong that with their three main targets gone that they would place a bid on Henry.

Dec 30, 2007
Great Southern Land
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Bears
Yeah but if Freo or GWS don't match they were Carlton's player and you wouldn't take that risk unless you really want the player. I don't have an issue with it, they were entitled to ask the question as the Hawks did to the Bombers last year who didn't match.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’ve been lurking most boards tonight.

I think we genuinely wanted Henry. We are crying out for a gun small forward and Henry is that. Would’ve slotted straight into our 22 and learnt alongside Eddie for the next year or two. 9 is certainly around the mark for a talent like him. SOS mentioned in an interview post draft that he had Henry inside our 10.

Bidding on Green was just keeping them honest. Realistically should’ve been bid on at 3. Amazing how he slid so far.

The following trade was a calculated risk on Kemp falling. Which paid off. Perhaps a bit of good will with the Suns to keep away from Martin too? Who knows.

I don’t see how you could be unhappy with a haul of Young, Serong and Henry in any case. Serong was our target @ 9 and Young’s kicking skills were the talk of our board when we had a whiff of him sliding. Outside of GC with 1+2 you clearly have the best haul so far.

I don’t think it was a gamble on Kemp falling at all. I think Carlton stuffed this badly. I think they had a blanket over 3-4 guys and Kemp was who was left.

To then move up to grab what’s his name?

I think they pulled the trigger on that hoping for De Koning and he went straight after. Let’s be honest they didn’t shift back up due to the fear of Philp going.

Carlton stuffed it big time in my opinion.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
As much as it pissed me off, I don't think there was anything wrong with what they did.

After they missed out on both Jack Martin and Papley during the trade period, they boldly came out and said wait til you see what we get with pick 9.

Judging by the fact they traded it away, they expected someone in the top 8 to be available. Strangely they weren’t pleased with Flanders. Not sure why? A 27 possession 4 goal half in a final apparently not good enough. With hindsight they depart with pick 9 and get Papley, assuming Sydney let him go. Even if they have to chuck in a future 2nd. Papley, Martin and Betts transforms them in the front half. I’m not sure Martin, Betts , Kemp, PhiPs does. I’m surprised that Flanders wasnT considered good enough for pick 11. He’s exactly what they need, a HF that can make good of a half chance.

Imagine if Melbourne take Jack Martin. They are looking for a small forward.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t think it was a gamble on Kemp falling at all. I think Carlton stuffed this badly. I think they had a blanket over 3-4 guys and Kemp was who was left.

To then move up to grab what’s his name?

I think they pulled the trigger on that hoping for De Koning and he went straight after. Let’s be honest they didn’t shift back up due to the fear of Philp going.

Carlton stuffed it big time in my opinion.

I know for a fact we were set on Kemp had Serong been taken. Kemp had a final meeting at the club yesterday. With Pickett, Day, Bergman and Weightman all but certain it was a calculated risk that Kemp would fall. Stephens a decent consolation prize.

We moved up 2 spots to get ahead of Richmond to grab Philp with a pick we weren't going to use. At the very least it gave us options. No point holding onto 55 if were going to pass on it anyway. Maybe a slight reach but seems to have a bit to work with in a position of need.

It's a big call to say any club stuffed up a draft literally hours after the first round has ended. But each to their own.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know for a fact we were set on Kemp had Serong been taken. Kemp had a final meeting at the club yesterday. With Pickett, Day, Bergman and Weightman all but certain it was a calculated risk that Kemp would fall. Stephens a decent consolation prize.

We moved up 2 spots to get ahead of Richmond to grab Philp with a pick we weren't going to use. At the very least it gave us options. No point holding onto 55 if were going to pass on it anyway. Maybe a slight reach but seems to have a bit to work with in a position of need.

It's a big call to say any club stuffed up a draft literally hours after the first round has ended. But each to their own.

Carlton stuffed it.

BigKep

Senior List
Jul 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think Carlton did anything wrong. The bidding system is there to give other clubs a chance at talent tied to other clubs. Henry absolutely suited one of the Blues list needs and Green is a top 3 talent who I was gobsmacked wasnt bid on earlier. In fact I wish we had of bid on him. After that the blues shrewdly turned pick 11 into two top 25 picks. I think that's a good effort. Got Kemp at 17 which was a steal. I do think they traded to 20 to try and get Sam De Koning but the Cats beat them.

I really would be suprised if a club used the bidding system in a spiteful way rather than just trying to pick up the best players.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Carlton did ok. I’m not here to dispute what you do or don’t know. I did hear Silvani say Kemp was at the club earlier today, so he was definitely in their thoughts for their first pick.

What was obvious to me was Carlton over the past couple of days became very very keen on Young. Multiple sources starting with Cal Twomey indicate that last night and earlier today was spent by Carlton trying to organise a swap of 9 for 6. That wouldn’t have been for Kemp or I doubt Serong.

I think Adelaide decided not to play any more Russian Roulette and just pick their man. Peter Bell said we had some interest in McAsey. Also most experts expected Sydney to call out Flanders or even Young but well done Sydney kept their cards close and chose Stephens - kudos to them.

Carlton made the best of their situation after missing out on their three main targets Young, Stephens, Serong. Kemp their next main target and they took a calculated gamble that paid off.

I think we will remember this bid by Carlton, because there is no way Henry should have been bid before Green. It really seems that Silvani could care less and he will soon be eating the best fish on Lygon St with Ross the Boss.

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think Carlton did anything wrong. The bidding system is there to give other clubs a chance at talent tied to other clubs. Henry absolutely suited one of the Blues list needs and Green is a top 3 talent who I was gobsmacked wasnt bid on earlier. In fact I wish we had of bid on him. After that the blues shrewdly turned pick 11 into two top 25 picks. I think that's a good effort. Got Kemp at 17 which was a steal. I do think they traded to 20 to try and get Sam De Koning but the Cats beat them.

I really would be suprised if a club used the bidding system in a spiteful way rather than just trying to pick up the best players.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Close - wanted one of either Cooper Stephens or Kemp.

Geelong knew this and took first preference.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
If you look at Carlton got Stocker, Kemp and Philp instead of Ash.

Silvagni did alright.

If you look at pick numbers he traded pick 4 for pick 17,19 (2018 pick), 20 which is a bit more meh. Especially as Adelaide turned pick 4 into pick 6 and GWS future 1st 2020.

jusjoshin

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2008
Gosnells
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, East Side Hawks
A few things.

1. Carlton wanted Henry
2. Carlton wanted Young (tried to trade up to 6 to get him) and were filthy when we picked their pocket.
3. SOS was a mate of Ross

probably a mix of the 3.

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m going a more unreasonable “conspiracy theory” approach:

SOS was looking to exit to either GWS or Fremantles vacant list manager roles so needed to place on his CV and ready for interview questions. also build his relationship with either Henry or Green when landing at the club could say “<insertname> I knew you are a top ten pick , that’s why I bid on you! ( wearing respective polo shirt)

Back