Prediction What are our trade targets worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What are you willing to pay for-
Josh Bruce:
Alex Keath:
Dougal Howard:

Bruce worth a late 1st / early 2nd. Being contracted means we pay at the higher end of his value.

Keath worth maybe a mid to late 2nd (straight swap for our 2nd seems about right)

Dougal Howard worth a mid 1st, possibly plus steak knives. One of the best young KPDs and great leadership qualities. Easily worth our 1st

Last edited:

Bruce worth a late 1st / early 2nd. Being contacted means we pay at the higher end of his value.

Keath worth maybe a mid to late 2nd (straight swap for our 2nd seems about right)

Dougal Howard worth a mid 1st, possibly plus steak knives. One of the best young KPDs and great leadership qualities. Easily worth our 1st
I agree with most of that i think we can get Bruce for our second and third keath for 2 thirds and howard for this years first and next years second, would be a great result i think

Josh Bruce:
Alex Keath:
Dougal Howard:
Willing to pay?

JB - No thanks, don't want.
AK - No thanks, don't want unless cheap.
DH - Tough one, I'm not 100% sold on him that he's all that. 2nd rounder also?

Edited: Didn't realise Keath will be 29 next season.

Last edited:
Willing to pay?

JB - No thanks, don't want.
AK - 2nd rounder
DH - Tough one, I'm not 100% sold on him that he's all that. 2nd rounder also?
Just for interest what would your realistic trade period look like for us?

Josh Bruce:
Alex Keath:
Dougal Howard:

Early 2nd rounder
Early 2nd rounder
2 x firsts

We need to Hawthorn this trade period. I value our draft picks of any round as being zero value to us and the advantages of bringing in medium to high quality afl grade tall forwards or backs as being invaluable.

I would trade every pick this year to get Bruce and Howard into the club.

They clearly aren’t worth those high picks in “value” but they would be worth every point to us. Howard is just a perfect fit. This year and next years first is fine. Then grab the tall Jamara kid next year and wagons ho.

Josh Bruce: Two first names, warped contested numbers, occasional man bun, = 2nd Rounder
Alex Keath: Average cricketer, not a kid or overly experienced, intercept marker, = 2nd Rounder
Dougal Howard: Two first names, very talented, big man 199 cm, = Late 1st Rounder
Michael Hartley: Plays for Essendon so two first round picks and a walk on the famed rubber matting. (DFA)

Early 2nd rounder
Early 2nd rounder
2 x firsts

We need to Hawthorn this trade period. I value our draft picks of any round as being zero value to us and the advantages of bringing in medium to high quality afl grade tall forwards or backs as being invaluable.

I would trade every pick this year to get Bruce and Howard into the club.

They clearly aren’t worth those high picks in “value” but they would be worth every point to us. Howard is just a perfect fit. This year and next years first is fine. Then grab the tall Jamara kid next year and wagons ho.
I pretty much agree bruce and howard would be huge and the dream would be to
draft weightman with them but seems a big leap

Just for interest what would your realistic trade period look like for us?
Let me preface this by saying that I've very little idea on who's actually available and "gettable".

Do Schache, Naughton and Ugle-Hagen fit in the same forward line in 5 years time? Where is Naughtons best spot (I still think it could well be defence).

Naughton, Keath and Cordy as your tall back 3 sounds good, while Ugle-Hagen, Schache and Dale can be forward. So wouldn't it make sense to throw pick 12 at a 27ish year old FF to fill the gap till Ugle-Hagen comes on, while being mentored by said Forward?

But problem being, does that forward exist?

Charlie Dixon would be ideal.... ;-)

Bruce: at the moment the Saints have pick 5 in the National Draft, their next is then 55! They must be desparate to get back into the draft. I would try them with our pick 30 and be prepared to chuck in pick 48 to get the deal done. Pick 30 + 48 = about pick 20 in value, they would be pretty happy with that given their situation. Another strategy might involve a pick swap as we have picks 41, 46 and 48, e.g., Pick 30+41 for Bruce and 55 would value Bruce at pick 22.

Keath and Howard: I'm not sure about recruiting both. If we do, then Roberts goes and Trengove is less likely to get a game but it would be the last year of his 3 year deal anyway.

Keath: sort of hate to say this but if the curious case of Bailey W is what people are saying, then a straight swap for Keath would be a fair deal. You have to keep in mind that Keath is 28 at the start of the 2020 season and has only played 20 something games, Bailey W is 22 and has 40 games +. 2019 wasn't great for Bailey but if the Crows look at his 2018 stats, their mouths should be watering.

Howard: Do we try something like Pick 12 for Howard + Port's 2020 2nd round draft pick? (I understand we want some decent picks for next years draft). That would value Howard at around pick 35 but Port do get a high pick in return.

Howard will cost pick 12 at a minimum. He is under contract for 3 more years and they think enough of him that captained the club in a game this year. We would probably need to throw in next years pick 18 to spark PA interest. Then you might get their 2020 back.....

Howard will cost pick 12 at a minimum. He is under contract for 3 more years and they think enough of him that captained the club in a game this year. We would probably need to throw in next years pick 18 to spark PA interest. Then you might get their 2020 back.....

Cool, but what is behind the speculation that he is available for trade? Because if there is an issue, that possibly changes their expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce - our future 1st and one or two of our 3rds for Bruce and their future second
Keath - our second (30)
Howard - our first (12)
(would only take one of Keath or Howard)

Let me preface this by saying that I've very little idea on who's actually available and "gettable".

Do Schache, Naughton and Ugle-Hagen fit in the same forward line in 5 years time? Where is Naughtons best spot (I still think it could well be defence).

Naughton, Keath and Cordy as your tall back 3 sounds good, while Ugle-Hagen, Schache and Dale can be forward. So wouldn't it make sense to throw pick 12 at a 27ish year old FF to fill the gap till Ugle-Hagen comes on, while being mentored by said Forward?

But problem being, does that forward exist?

Charlie Dixon would be ideal.... ;-)
I think thats all pretty good but i prefer bruce to dixon is the right age also i think schache naughton an ugle all work in the future as they are all quite athletic talls just need tackling crummers at there feet

Bruce - our future 1st and one or two of our 3rds for Bruce and their future second
Keath - our second (30)
Howard - our first (12)
(would only take one of Keath or Howard)
Yeah pretty close i think that's on the higher end for mine but id probably pay it

I think thats all pretty good but i prefer bruce to dixon is the right age also i think schache naughton an ugle all work in the future as they are all quite athletic talls just need tackling crummers at there feet
Hmmmm, never mind anyway, I had no idea Keath will be 28 next year. Not sure he's required in that case, I'd rather put the years into Young.

Am I the only one who just doesn't rate Bruce? Like the type of forward who just relies on quality delivery to score, not really creating his own scores? And let's face it, our quality of delivery is less than ideal. Goalkicking accuracy on the slide too... Maybe it's just me.

Hmmmm, never mind anyway, I had no idea Keath will be 28 next year. Not sure he's required in that case, I'd rather put the years into Young.

Am I the only one who just doesn't rate Bruce? Like the type of forward who just relies on quality delivery to score, not really creating his own scores? And let's face it, our quality of delivery is less than ideal. Goalkicking accuracy on the slide too... Maybe it's just me.

I'm interested in Bruce for around pick 20 value. He's good overhead and a size bigger than Naughton. Bruce FF, Naughon CHF. Schache needs to work on being the third tall, at the moment he is really competing with the mid sized forwards for a spot with the game he plays. He's got good hands, uses his height well on the lead, good kick for goal, good stamina, reasonable ground game for someone as tall as he is - just needs to improve the contested marking side of his game. I could see all three in the forward line given Schache's point of difference.

I'm interested in Bruce for around pick 20 value. He's good overhead and a size bigger than Naughton. Bruce FF, Naughon CHF. Schache needs to work on being the third tall, at the moment he is really competing with the mid sized forwards for a spot with the game he plays. He's got good hands, uses his height well on the lead, good kick for goal, good stamina, reasonable ground game for someone as tall as he is - just needs to improve the contested marking side of his game. I could see all three in the forward line given Schache's point of difference.
Yeah i like having Bruce and Naughton full forward centre half forward schache half forward flank wallace the other flank dale One pocket and if we could draft weightman for the other pocket that would be my forward 6

Bailey Williams resigned - 2 year deal to 2021. Doesn't sound like he's trade bait for Keath or McDougal. Back to the drawing board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back