Society/Culture What are parents doing these days to help their child’s cognitive development?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dhoni Dakurri

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Is it still common for parents to read to their kids? Teach them to read? Learn basic numeracy? Encourage playing with other kids in interactive environments?

I’m a high school teacher and I’ve never been more terrified about how incapable students are coming into high school. A huge percentage can’t read or write. They have no ability to focus for more than a minute. The mental health and behavioural issues are destructive and widespread.

What is happening at home?

Is it still common for parents to read to their kids? Teach them to read? Learn basic numeracy? Encourage playing with other kids in interactive environments?

I’m a high school teacher and I’ve never been more terrified about how incapable students are coming into high school. A huge percentage can’t read or write. They have no ability to focus for more than a minute. The mental health and behavioural issues are destructive and widespread.

The internet is an ongoing social experiment that we don't know the full effects of yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it has lowered attention spans and social abilities.

But if kids can't read when they get to high school you need to ask what is happening in primary schools.

Parents do this more now then at any time in history as they race to get their kids ahead of other kids.

you should of taught kids during the 80s when they suffered from
lead poisioning as kids and their parents were hippies with no care about education. No those kids were screwed in the head.

Parents do this more now then than at any time in history as they race to get their kids ahead of other kids.

you should of have taught kids during the 80s when they suffered from
lead poisioning as kids and their parents were hippies with no care about education. No those kids were screwed in the head.

Bottom of the class.

Teaching them to cash in on victim culture.
Who is ACTUALLY doing anything like that?

This SJW bogeyman has you hiding under your covers.

Who is ACTUALLY doing anything like that?

This SJW bogeyman has you hiding under your covers.

You don't think children are in general unnecessarily pandered to these days by parents, and that this ultimately has a detrimental effect upon their psychological immunity?

Have you seen the "mental health" statistics?

There is an ongoing existential crisis in western society.

You don't think children are in general unnecessarily pandered to these days by parents, and that this ultimately has a detrimental effect upon their psychological immunity?
How many kids do you have?

Have you seen the "mental health" statistics?

There is an ongoing existential crisis in western society.
This post is from a poster who puts people on ignore if they prove his opinions to be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I looked after my 3 grandchildren during the working week from around 6 months until they started full time schooling, read to them all the time and eventually had them read to me, 2(now 10 and 13) of the 3 are now voracious readers, the eldest who is now 15 not so much.

I kept them away from TV as much as possible and get them to use their imagination and be able to entertain themselves.

Parents don't have to teach their children to read. They do have to send them to school.

The latest data on school attendance in the Northern Territory reveals only a third of Indigenous children are attending school on most days — a figure that has not improved in five years.​
The NT Education Department's annual report shows 32 per cent of Indigenous children enrolled at government schools attended school four or more days a week in the last financial year.​
That figure is the worst recorded in five years for primary, middle and senior students — it was 36 per cent in 2015 and then slipped to 33 per cent in the years following.​

The NT Education Department's latest annual report also shows Indigenous student attendance at government pre-schools is at a five-year low of 55 per cent​

Parents don't have to teach their children to read. They do have to send them to school.

The latest data on school attendance in the Northern Territory reveals only a third of Indigenous children are attending school on most days — a figure that has not improved in five years.​
The NT Education Department's annual report shows 32 per cent of Indigenous children enrolled at government schools attended school four or more days a week in the last financial year.​
That figure is the worst recorded in five years for primary, middle and senior students — it was 36 per cent in 2015 and then slipped to 33 per cent in the years following.​

The NT Education Department's latest annual report also shows Indigenous student attendance at government pre-schools is at a five-year low of 55 per cent​

What’s the solution? How do we fix the education system?

What’s the solution? How do we fix the education system?

It goes beyond the education system.

In NT 84 per cent of non-Indigenous children attended school four or more days a week. 87 per cent of non-Indigenous children attend government pre-schools.

Who cares, he's probably right.
There's this media myth that kids are all coddled because they didn't go through the traditional hazing ritual of having a raddish shoved up your arse on the first day of school.

People without kids then roll around wailing about something that isn't even a problem.

Meanwhile, childhood deaths due to accident are dropping, but mental health is either worsening or is simply being diagnosed better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back