Footy Developments in NSW and Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Ha - you're trying to understate dangers of your favorite sport. Soccer can remove headers, but something like afl will always be a heavy contact sport
You really don't like the sport if you think that. Just a troll stirring the hornets. Would change the game too much and with soccer politics, would never be accepted.

You can remove it in kids sport. Plus do studies to see if heading the modern ball does affect CTE plus further ways to limit it in the future. But we are talking about a sport that doesn't even have a concussion rule sub atm. Sluggish doesn't even cover the response by FIFA for our updated knowledge of concussion.

I have no doubt that CTE was a factor in the 1960s with balls that weighed twice as much as the current generation. There are too many sick players from the 60's and 70's. I hoping that the current balls have a much healthier effect on players long term well-being

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
You really don't like the sport if you think that. Just a troll stirring the hornets. Would change the game too much and with soccer politics, would never be accepted.

Classic, you are questioning whether a notorious soccer troll really like's soccer because he's said something about soccer you don't like!

You can remove it in kids sport. Plus do studies to see if heading the modern ball does affect CTE plus further ways to limit it in the future. But we are talking about a sport that doesn't even have a concussion rule sub atm. Sluggish doesn't even cover the response by FIFA for our updated knowledge of concussion.

I have no doubt that CTE was a factor in the 1960s with balls that weighed twice as much as the current generation. There are too many sick players from the 60's and 70's. I hoping that the current balls have a much healthier effect on players long term well-being

This is the delusion. Why would having a ball that weighs half as much have anything more than a marginal bearing on the risks of repetitive sub-concussion impacts on the brain?

Balls travel much faster nowadays as well and speed drives force exponentially compared to mass which has a linear relationship (see kinetic energy formula)

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Rugby removed shoulder charges while nfl stopped helmet grabs. In interest of safety all sports adapt.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
You should actually watch a game before you make silly comments.
And you should drop all the ambiguous statements.
My sport is Australian Rules Football and the degree of contact varies with the level.
With tackling is always part of the game in rugby league, though when I played rugby union I was surprised by the lack of tackling
but the lack of tackling is replaced with scrumming and rucking.

You guys are kidding yourselves - afl almost always ranks among most dangerous sports in world;

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
You guys are kidding yourselves - afl almost always ranks among most dangerous sports in world;

League is worse. Head on collisions. Not classed as a head contact unless it’s above the chin.
At least the AFL are doing things about contact above the shoulder.
The NrL actively fight against it. Or didn’t you keep up with the reports this week and last.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rugby removed shoulder charges while nfl stopped helmet grabs.

And still a loooooong way to go before any substantial impact (excuse the pun) is made.

In interest of safety all sports adapt.

Stop using "All". "All" is all encompassing and we know that is not the case.
Soccer has not adapted one iota.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
afl almost always ranks among most dangerous sports in world

Far from it.
In the most dangerous sports you die or get CTE.
AFL is dangerous to a degree with lots of self-inflicted injuries and some breaks.
The AFL has really upped the duty-of-care unlike all other sports.
Sorry I meant unlike soccer and rugby based codes.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
League is worse. Head on collisions. Not classed as a head contact unless it’s above the chin.
The NrL actively fight against it. Or didn’t you keep up with the reports this week and last.

Pippen has catelogued reports dating back at least to 2014 and no doubt much further....but only those that are adverse to the AFL

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Pippen has catelogued reports dating back at least to 2014 and no doubt much further....but only those that are adverse to the AFL

So is afl no longer a contact sport after 2014?! Lots of contact, collisions & concussions but yeah you guys are kidding

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Would've thought being blindsided is worse than front on hits where a player can brace themselves.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Would've thought being blindsided is worse than front on hits where a player can brace themselves.

Bigger collision with two large individuals running head to head.
Also as I said they are bit flimsy with the concept of head high tackles(with them being chin night and higher, AFL is anything over the shoulder), hell the league tried a crackdown, and it wasn’t much of one, the the league professional and social media blew up.

But to be honest I’m more stunned that you “thought” about something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So is afl no longer a contact sport after 2014?! Lots of contact, collisions & concussions but yeah you guys are kidding

Haha, I was referring to your being able to produce 7 year old The Australian articles but being oblivious to what's going on in the NRL last week

I don't know what is in that article because it is subscriber only but really and individual study is hardly definitive. Just raw meat to all the sad sacks for whom the dominance of Australian football in this country is so painful.

No one is saying Australian football isn't a full contact sport with significant injury risk, just that it is as well placed as any football code to substantially reduce those risks

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Classic, you are questioning whether a notorious soccer troll really like's soccer because he's said something about soccer you don't like!

This is the delusion. Why would having a ball that weighs half as much have anything more than a marginal bearing on the risks of repetitive sub-concussion impacts on the brain?

Balls travel much faster nowadays as well and speed drives force exponentially compared to mass which has a linear relationship (see kinetic energy formula)
Well,sorry to pippen then. Here, I thought, making an argument with a bit of "what about AFL, AFL is worst" and saying something that would change the nature of the game so much was unrealistic. I mean, I am very confused by the fact that you liked this post

Yes, soccer cannot even make the tiniest of improvements.
which is basically what I have said......

And since you know the science so well, please, send it to the relevant authorities. Quite clearly, you are an expert and know everything in this field which is new and still mostly (sadly) unknown and needs further study and education. Perhaps you will be right. Perhaps there won't be a link. but to say it so confidently, like you are trying to pick a fight, is so very you.

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

Maybe in this specific instance you are right but continual hits and aggregation is where the damage is done.
Again, I ask you to watch some Australian Football and you'll see that "hits" of any kind are illegal these days.
But you wont and you'll continue with this crap.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
And since you know the science so well, please, send it to the relevant authorities.

I have no doubt that CTE was a factor in the 1960s with balls that weighed twice as much as the current generation. There are too many sick players from the 60's and 70's. I (am) hoping that the current balls have a much healthier effect on players long term well-being

hoping.verb: want something to happen or be the case.

btw, all the info I know comes from the Alan Shearer docu "Dementia, Football and Me", if I need to source my "knowledge." I am sure Wor Alan could do that for me

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. aflq.com AFLQ CEO T. Squires 13.4.21

Squires said, re 2021, "Junior girls' U8 to 11 [club] participation in SEQ is up 30% compared to the same time last year".

Article also states:-

. in 2021 in Brisbane & the Gold Coast, "this year sees the introduction of an U9 girls' [club] competition for the first time"; & this U9 girls' comp. will be extended to the Sunshine Coast, Darling Downs, & rest of Qld. later.

. the AFLW is responsible for a big boost in female GR AF in Qld.; & is also an inspiration for many females to become coaches, umpires, & administrators.

2. Auskick nos. on the Gold Coast have also risen a remarkable 32% so far in 2021, cf 2020 Gold Coast Auskick nos.

AFAIK, the above rises of 30% & 32%, for a large, identical, sporting market, are unique for any sport in Australia, in a one year period.
No other sport in a mature market, any where in Australia for any other mature sport, has had such a staggering increase in one year.

EDIT:
(I am excluding the FFA , which in 2016 stated its regd. official participant nos. were c. 1.1m- then, in 2017, claimed c.1.5m participants. The big increase was due to one-off programs, Gala Days, community events etc.)

3. The much-lamented blowouts in the very uneven NRL comp. in 2021 are at their highest levels since 1935.
The decline in average skill levels in the NRL, & the increase in the no. of "boring" blowout games, is ominous for the NRL, as it attempts to negotiate a new FTA Rights' deal from 2023.

The decline in skills also jeopardises the chances of being able successfully introduce a 17th NRL club in Brisbane.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Coureir Mail 16.5.21

Gemba Group, as part of its independent analysis, has delivered its first interim report to the 12 NRL clubs that funded it. It says Brisbane 2 -17th club will, crucially, bring in extra revenue to the NRL.
Also, QRL Chairman B. Hatcher said

"There is no doubt AFL is growing in Qld., & we should be countering that....but I do believe a Sydney team should consider relocating...& taking advantage of a new base in Qld. ..."[by moving to Brisbane].
He is reiterating his previous comments that the QRL is in favour of Brisbane 2, but also that the NRL should stay at 16 clubs- because of a shortage of skilled players in the NRL, & he doesn't want the NRL comp. to have its skills further diluted if it goes to 17 clubs.

"NRL expansion: Independent report backs rugby league plan for 17th team.

An independent report has given preliminary backing to NRL expansion as super coach Wayne Bennett outlined his interest in spearheading a new second Brisbane team to take on the Broncos. The Courier-Mail can reveal a $100,000 private study conducted by The Gemba Group, funded by 12 of the 16 NRL clubs including the Titans, has shown the code can generate additional revenue by adding a 17th team in 2023. The multi-faceted Gemba investigation has yet to be fully completed, but the early findings are a huge shot in the arm for ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys in his quest to combat the AFL by creating a fourth Queensland team.

V’landys met with the Queensland Rugby League and NRL club bosses on Friday with a leading chairman saying: “Expansion is going ahead 150 per cent ... there will be a second Brisbane team.” And V’landys’ strategy to grow the game has received another major boost, with the NRL’s greatest coach Bennett revealing his ambition to support expansion by setting up a second Brisbane franchise. ...

Sources with knowledge of the Gemba report have told News Corp the first stage of the probe has outlined the promise of expansion. According to the study, a 17th team can indeed generate more money – a revelation that will pique the interest of broadcasters Fox and Channel 9, who will meet the V’landys over the Magic Round weekend to discuss expansion.

However, the Gemba report suggests the ARL Commission must be mindful of not eroding existing supporter bases at the three Queensland teams the Broncos, Cowboys and Titans [Publically, Titans has been the most worried- citing sponsors & crowds are likely to be reduced].

V’landys met with Titans bosses on Wednesday to assure the club he is fully supportive of the Gold Coast and QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher urged the NRL to strike back in a sporting turf war with the AFL in Queensland. “There is no doubt the AFL is growing in Queensland and we should be countering that,” he said.
“I am not anti-expansion, but I do believe a Sydney team should consider straddling two markets by relocating and taking advantage of a new base in Queensland. “Most people buy business and build it up, rather than start from scratch. So it would be far easier for a struggling Sydney club to do a joint venture agreement and form a strategic alliance, possibly with one of the three bid teams. “We need an NRL game every weekend at Suncorp Stadium and a strategic alliance would grow the game sensibly.”

The NRL also needs the support of free-to-air broadcaster Channel 9 to pursue expansion ahead of the upcoming rights negotiations.[Nine executive M. Maguire said in 2019 that Nine wanted Brisbane 2- but did not want 17 clubs, because of declining skill standards in the NRL ie implying ratings would fall, if skills dropped]".
(Words in brackets, & emphases mine)

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SMH A. Webster 28.5.21

Webster writes that major divisions are arising in the NRL, in MSM RL experts, & amongst RL fans, over the recent head contact (including accidental glances/"flyswats") sin bin & send-off crackdown. Changing the fabric of RL?

Webster also wrote

"V'landys also raised fears about the government 'shutting us down' if the NRL didn't properly address concussion (Possible Govt. ban on RL!?).".

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. SEN Sydney Joel Caine 23.5.21

J. Caine, former NRL player, said

"Ultimately, parents want to know kids are playing a safe game, & the NRL has a duty to ensure players' safety in a collision sport. That's even a concern for me, I have 4 kids...even my daughters would love to play [contact] League, but having grown up without tackling, it is a recipe for disaster, a simple no from me. ...

I think a further focus on [RL contact] Nines football could increase participation at the grassroots...kids want to tackle.
(Caine then discusses & promotes the much more open, more agile- with more light weights, safer, & much less tackling, contact Nines).... could become a semi-pro comp., played on Wed. nights & broadcast on Fox League".

2. WWOS G. Vlotis 17.5.21

Vlotis said "V'landys acknowledges that without crops of youngsters signing up to play, the code's talent pool will eventually dry up".

V'landys said

"The biggest issue for RL is [male contact] participation. In our key metrics, like it or not, the juniors are down (Not in female contact RL, which has had significant growth since 2018)...The Commission's prime objective ...is to increase participation".

V'landys continues to say that parents, players etc. see head-high heavy knocks in the NRL, & this is causing the big drop in (male contact) jnrs.- but he also says jnr contact RL is played very differently, & it is safe (contact RL?- or referring to non- contact tag & touch?) to play.

3. SMH S. Keoghan 17.5.21 "Concussion Crisis" "Jnr RL is just as safe as soccer" (Contact !?)

Keoghan said

"...jnr RL clubs have backed the strict approach, the change, & believe it will result in more parents choosing to let their kids play RL".

St Marys JRLC...M. Weildon said

"...participation has suffered in recent years".

Cronulla Sutherland DJRL Chair N. Waugh said

"...it provides us with the argument that we are just as safe as soccer...(!?)".

W. Bennett supports the high contact crackdown (including for glances/flyswats to the neck & head) in the NRL. (Words in brackets, & emphases, mine).

EDIT:

4. SEN Sydney L. Geleit 17.5.21

D. Riccio said, re his discussions with P. V'landys

"Speaking to him over the weekend, he spoke about 'Short term pain, for long term gain', the game will not survive if we don't take this step, according to him".

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think a further focus on [RL contact] Nines football could increase participation at the grassroots.

Interesting concept - develop a game to avoid Polynesians who are dominating the game.
Interesting concept - develop a fast open game with less tackling - any suggestions ? anyone ?

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting concept - develop a game to avoid Polynesians who are dominating the game.
Interesting concept - develop a fast open game with less tackling - any suggestions ? anyone ? [Yes, AF is good!]
At the pro level, RL & RU players have become much heavier & stronger, & hit harder- cf previous decades. Injuries have been increasing in both elite RL & RU.

If a pro Nines comp. was started, I assume a comparison can be made to RU contact Sevens.
Cf. elite RU 15's, Sevens, which is FAR more free-flowing, players have to be fitter, lighter, & have more endurance- & there are fewer big hits & injuries.

There is certainly a widely-held view that weight divisions in jnr RL & RU have fewer injuries for light weights, cf comps. that don't have weight divisions.
The problem in Australia is that, for many or most jnr Clubs, it is not practicable to introduce weight divisions- because individual clubs often have insufficient nos. per age group. Weight division trials have been introduced in Australia in recent years.

The problem for RL, I suspect, is similar to RU ie RU Sevens does not have a mass spectator appeal, & male contact RU nos. have had a long term significant decline in Aust. & NZ (Female contact Sevens, however, has had significant growth in both).
RU Sevens has not "saved" RU in Australia- would Nines "save" male contact RL?

Many female contact RL teams play "proper RL", but with less than 13 per side (due to shortage of nos.) . Female contact RL is also having significant growth in Australia & NZ.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back