Footy Developments in NSW and Queensland

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
What? You can't post older articles now? And those articles are relevant anyway

Ive allowed it for far too long. Randomly posting articles - some from months and years back - is not necessary.

Also while im at it, the wholesale quoting of articles - paywalled or not - needs to stop. If its a media release its fine, if its not, its a no go.

Queries on moderation decisions to PM. Thanks.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Ive allowed it for far too long. Randomly posting articles - some from months and years back - is not necessary.

Also while im at it, the wholesale quoting of articles - paywalled or not - needs to stop. If its a media release its fine, if its not, its a no go.

Queries on moderation decisions to PM. Thanks.
What is your definition of "random"?

I assume you accept that an article that is relevant to a thread topic is not "random".

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
What is your definition of "random"?

I assume you accept that an article that is relevant to a thread topic is not "random".

I expect them to be contextual. ie. part of an ongoing conversation with historical relevance or recent news, say within the month and not previously posted.
This isnt supposed to be a history, but a prediction.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Perth figure might be the highest yet with no Eagles/Dockers involved. Anybody know.
Interesting that Brisbane AFL figure higher than Brisbane NRL.
Gil said in Perth in a one off quote that QLD Auskick had 28,000 new participants this year.

Definitely doesn't include regionals by definition

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
"support". I though "relevant" would be the appropriate word.

how is it relevant? this demonstrates no relevance to the discussion at hand. Theres no evidence here to support any contention that this is a step towards the AFL overtaking anything in queensland. and the comparison is highly disengenuous

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm suggesting "In what way is this relevant to the idea" is more appropriate than "In what way does this support the idea"
which suggests you have to be favour of the idea.

Im suggesting that instead of just posting a tweet, someone actually demonstrate why that tweet belongs here.

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Their is no chance AFL taking over with the amount of one sided grand finals over the last 30 years. If you don't have an apathetic bone in your body, you would've given the grand final the boot years ago!

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
In what way does this support the idea

of Footy overtaking league in NSW and Queensland?

Looking at the AFL figures I would suggest comparing Brisbane's figure with those of Adelaide's and Sydney's figure with Perth.
That shows a healthy appetite for AFL in those cities and a good predictive for the future.
It shows that Sydney and Brisbane are AFL sized cities.

The NRL figures are probably what one would expect though Brisbane might be a little tired of all the NRL on offer a.t.m.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Gil said in Perth in a one off quote that QLD Auskick had 28,000 new participants this year.

Not sure about 28,000 new participamts but according to Mclachlan

Even in this challenging year, the following numbers highlight the strength of community football, nationally:

• Women and girls’ participation numbers continue to surge, with community club participation up five per cent on pre-COVID figures from 2019
  • Overall community football participation is at 99 per cent of 2019 numbers, a fantastic outcome given all the disruptions faced in the past two years
  • Youth male community football is up 1.5 per cent (v 2019 total)
  • NAB AFL Auskick participation has rebounded to be just shy of 2019 levels
  • The legacy of having so much AFL football played in Queensland in 2020, including the Toyota AFL Grand Final at the Gabba, has had a positive impact in the state, with record-breaking participation and community Auskick up by more than 28 per cent

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
When did Gill say this?
Yeah I got the wrong end of the stick it seems about Gils quote - It was percentage increase not actual numbers in QLD. He was making different statements in interviews around Perth. One comment he did make - He was blown away by the support in Perth for the GF and the game in general and alluded to possible special future events for Optus Stadium. No he did not elaborate but it looks like the Stadium has his full attention if it didnt before.
Off topic but sort off related -Perth ch7 NEWS led the 6.00 news tonight with "6.34 million people watched the GF.(I wrote that down straightaway) That is a lot of eyeballs.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Yeah I got the wrong end of the stick it seems about Gils quote - It was percentage increase not actual numbers in QLD. He was making different statements in interviews around Perth. One comment he did make - He was blown away by the support in Perth for the GF and the game in general and alluded to possible special future events for Optus Stadium. No he did not elaborate but it looks like the Stadium has his full attention if it didnt before.
Off topic but sort off related -Perth ch7 NEWS led the 6.00 news tonight with "6.34 million people watched the GF.(I wrote that down straightaway) That is a lot of eyeballs.
Its a bit of an indictment of Gil if thats true. No one should have been remotely surprised by the support the GF got.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

Does anybody know how peak and average figure are calculated?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does anybody know how peak and average figure are calculated?

The ratings boxes / meters would feed viewing information on a minute by minute basis. The peak would be the the number watching at the minute with the highest volume watching. The average would simply be the averaging watching over the program. The reach would be the total number of distinct viewers that appeared for at least one of those minutes

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Its a bit of an indictment of Gil if thats true. No one should have been remotely surprised by the support the GF got.
I am not surprised by his reaction- For the main reason that even though the tyranny of distance between WA and the Eastern States has largely disappeared it is still evident by Gils remarks. He spent a fortnight in a hotel in Perth and absorbed the whole GF thing.

Back