Footy Developments in NSW and Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Daily Telegraph D. Ritchie 19.11.21

If & when the NRLW becomes a full time pro comp., it will be a major boost for the NRL, NRLW, & GR contact RL. In2020, the NRLW GF & SOO rated extremely well.

*** mod edit - dont post entire articles.

Shot yourself in the foot there. BBT
No.
I agree with C. Woodward- it is very important for the NRL to increase its funding of GR contact RL- but these funds should not be wasted on NRL HQ expenses, as they should be spent on more Development Officers visiting schools etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Geez the nrl really are hungry jacks copying everything the afl (McDonald's) do a few years later. Do they ever have an original idea?

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
If & when the NRLW becomes a full time pro comp., it will be a major boost for the NRL,

How ?

If & when the NRLW becomes a full time pro comp., it will be a major boost for the NRLW, .

Maybe.

If & when the NRLW becomes a full time pro comp., it will be a major boost for the GR contact RL.

No, just the women's numbers.

In2020, the NRLW GF & SOO rated extremely well.

Strong ratings/attendance for sport events don't necessarily translate into participation.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. The Age A. Jones 26.11.21

Jones said

"The WBBL has become the fourth-highest ratings sports League in Australia, men's or women's, & its 59 matches will be valued accordingly...It will be hot property". Previously "WBBL, however, was valued at zero, or very close to it".

He also said that, being in the Oct.- Nov. window, gives it, crucially, clean air from the AFL & NRL.

The WBBL has also had record, stand-alone crowds this year, with its Perth Final, a few weeks ago, attracting a record 15K+ crowd.

The AFL, to increase the popularity of the AFLW (&, indirectly, also female GR AF), has already announced that the AFLW will now be played from December to mid March, to give it clear air entirely from the AFL (but covid forced its start to be delayed).

The AFLW is also a very powerful promotional tool for AF generally in NSW & Qld.- particularly if far more matches are played, & broadcast, in clean air; & in Prime Time in evenings (even allowing that AFLW matches would be broadcast on FTA secondary channels in NSW & Qld.; & on Foxtel there).

Following the enormous success of the WBBL, will the AFL decide to bring the AFLW forward, having it start in Oct.?

2. The Swans AFLW team will be playing its home games at Henson Park, inner WS from late 2023. The Giants AFLW team will also play 2 home games there from Dec .2022.

It will be interesting to see the crowds it attracts, as Henson Park, which is having a major upgrade, has better facilities cf suburban ovals eg Drummoyne oval.

"He is not sure the $2m pa the Dolphins have pledged to spend on GR RL will change anything (about GR male contact RL problems & nos.)"

You said it would make a difference. Obviously not.
No.
This is what I said, in my reply to you (& you left out the relevant additional parts)
No.
I agree with C. Woodward- it is very important for the NRL to increase its funding of GR contact RL- but these funds should not be wasted on NRL HQ expenses, as they should be spent on more Development Officers visiting schools etc.

I have written previously, many times, how the AFLW & NRLW are greatly assisting AF & RL respectively, at both the elite & GR levels.

Why do you think the NRLW, as P. V'landys etc. wants, if & when it becomes a full time comp., will not be a major boost for the NRL, NRLW, & GR contact RL?

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Following the enormous success of the WBBL, will the AFL decide to bring the AFLW forward, having it start in Oct.?

Irrespective of what any other code is doing, most thinking people have called for a much earlier start for the AFLW.
Personally i would go for split fortnightly fixture which would facilitate greater options and greater individual game focus.

It will be interesting to see the crowds it attracts, as Henson Park, which is having a major upgrade, has better facilities cf suburban ovals eg Drummoyne oval.

It will be interesting. Not the easiest place to get to for most people.

Is there some reason why BBT cannot make separate threads for separate thoughts ?

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

No. I look at the big picture.

No.I have written previously, many times, how the AFLW & NRLW are greatly assisting AF & RL respectively, at both the elite & GR levels.

No. You haven't explained how the NRLW is going to assist the NRL. For all i know it may be a financial drain.

Why do you think the NRLW, as P. V'landys etc. wants...

I have no idea what that guy is thinking. I see a lot of shooting from the hips and disparaging AFL.
Just because some guy heads the AFL or the NRL makes his decisions wise and financially sound.

Is there some reason why BBT cannot make separate threads for separate thoughts ?

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
A mate of mine had a suggestion that the AFLW should start the by weekend of the men's finals series. Then when the men's footy season finishes it will have some fans transfer over to watching the women's game in a period of time that has barely any sporting competition on television. By my calculation it should finish the season just before the BBL men's starts on tv.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
A mate of mine had a suggestion that the AFLW should start the by weekend of the men's finals series. Then when the men's footy season finishes it will have some fans transfer over to watching the women's game in a period of time that has barely any sporting competition on television. By my calculation it should finish the season just before the BBL men's starts on tv.
About a 13 week season?

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Once all 18 clubs are in, you'd think they'd want to play a 17-round season so everybody plays each other once. With four weeks of finals, that's 21 weeks.

With finals, the men's goes for 27 weeks. So combined, they'll be covering 48 of the 52 weeks.

This leaves room for a week or two of clean air either side of the AFLW, and a bye week over Christmas.

Once Tasmania and team 20 come in (let's say Canberra), they should have a 19-game women's season, leaving basically Christmas and an opening week buffer as the only weeks professional footy isn't being beamed into free-to-air telly in Queensland or NSW.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
About a 13 week season?

About that. Once there are 18 teams I would split them into two divisions. So effectively play every team in your division (8 games) in the regular season and then a finals of the top 4 from each across 4 weeks (same as the men's finals).

I would actually have the final series be team 1 from Division A V team 2 from division B in the first round of finals etc... But once the first round is completed of finals series, teams can cross over to the other side of the finals draw if they lose or what not, so that you always end up with the two best teams in the Grand Final. It's still means the majority of finals will be between teams that haven't played each other before, but means the best 2 teams can make the GF even if they are in the same division, as I think it's really the only issue people have with the divisions concept. I like divisions in aflw as it cuts travel costs too and there really aren't many high drawing games where the fixture needs to be manipulated yet like the men's comp.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
AFLPA CEO P. Marsh said 20.12.21

"AFLW is fast becoming the number one female sport in Australia. So it's appropriate the players are getting paid at that highest rate."

Re AFLW pay rates, he was referring to the AFL Policy Vision for the AFLW in 2030, released 2 weeks ago- where the AFL has stated its intention was that, by 2030, the average pay for AFLW players will be the highest for any domestic female comp. in Australia.

Marsh's comments are the first time, AFAIK, that any AFL official or AFLPA official, has stated words to the effect that the AFLW "is fast becoming the number one female sport in Australia".
I assume he is referring to female semi-pro & pro sports- but he might also be referring to female GR AF nos.
If either scenario becomes a "fast" (within 5 years?) achievement, then AF will have a massive boost in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

Considering next December, there will be 18 AFLW teams, with c. 500+ semi-pro players, I assume, for a domestic female comp. in Aust., the AFLW from Dec. 2022 will have the highest collective total pay for any female domestic comp. This will also be very beneficial for, & heavily encourage & promote, female GR AF in NSW, ACT, & Qld.
(No timetable has been provided as to when it is likely the AFLW will be a fully pro comp. This is only an "aspiration" now).

These pay developments are very welcome- as is the recent decision of the AFL to start the AFLW in December from 2022.
The much-needed clean air for the AFLW will greatly raise its profile & appeal, throughout all Australia.

This is a small microcosm of the breadth of female AF Clubs in NSW (Shoalhaven FC & Port Kembla FC are in the Illawarra./Wollongong region).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Female GR AF has had a major boom, obviously, in NSW, ACT, & Qld. club & school comp. nos. since 2017- the AFLW's first year. There is virtually universal acclamation that the AFLW has a major responsibility for this boom.

It is gratifying, therefore, to hear the views of 4 AFLW players on the very strong increase in skill standards across the AFLW up to 2021, cf 2017.
This increase in skill levels will turbocharge female GR AF nos. around Australia in general, as well as, of course, the popularity of the AFLW; & NSW, ACT, & Qld. GR female nos. will also be greatly enhanced, improving AF's footprint in these areas.

Also of interest are the comments of GCFC AFLW player K. Surman, who also said

"Over the 5 years of AFLW, I think the standout is not actually us (AFLW players & their improving skill levels) playing on the field. I think it's more going down to all the different ovals & seeing groups of girls kicking the footy. Even here in Qld., you see groups of girls kicking the footy well (My words & emphases in brackets)".

Other players said that some new, 18 y/o etc. girls' skill levels would soon surpass the much more experienced players... bodes very well for the AFLW.

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why don’t they AFLW play on Wednesday nights in footy season?

Why don't the AFLW do a lot of logical improvements - because the AFL comes first.
The AFLW is supposed to be independent - no way Jose.
Why don't the AFLW start earlier ?
Why don't the AFLW play a full fixture?
Why don't the AFLW play all games at night ?
Why don't the AFLW experiment ?
Why don't the AFLW develop a game more suitable for the AFLW ?

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Female GR AF has had a major boom, obviously, in NSW, ACT, & Qld. club & school comp. nos. since 2017- the AFLW's first year. There is virtually universal acclamation that the AFLW has a major responsibility for this boom.

It is gratifying, therefore, to hear the views of 4 AFLW players on the very strong increase in skill standards across the AFLW up to 2021, cf 2017.
This increase in skill levels will turbocharge female GR AF nos. around Australia in general, as well as, of course, the popularity of the AFLW; & NSW, ACT, & Qld. GR female nos. will also be greatly enhanced, improving AF's footprint in these areas.

Also of interest are the comments of GCFC AFLW player K. Surman, who also said

"Over the 5 years of AFLW, I think the standout is not actually us (AFLW players' & their improving skill levels- my words) playing on the field. I think it's more going down to all the different ovals & seeing groups of girls kicking the footy. Even here in Qld., you see groups of girls kicking the footy well".

Other players said that some new, 18 y/o etc. girls' skill levels would soon surpass the much more experienced players... bodes very well for the AFLW.

Good article and I hope this single-idea posting presentation continues.

Why don't the AFLW do a lot of logical improvements - because the AFL comes first.
The AFLW is supposed to be independent - no way Jose.
Why don't the AFLW start earlier ?
Why don't the AFLW play a full fixture?
Why don't the AFLW play all games at night ?
Children, please. One stupid question at a time.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. There is an unacceptably high % of injuries occuring in female GR AF, which must be reversed to protect females' health eg c. 9 times the no. of serious knee injuries, & c. double the no. of concussions, cf male GR AF.

Furthermore, if the female high injury rates continues, over the long term, the boom in female GR AF nos. will probably be reversed in NSW, ACT, & Qld. (& elsewhere).

There has, recently, also been very disturbing reports that c.48 % of older females are experiencing breast injuries & breast pain.

"The injury affecting half of all AFLW players that no one is talking about"
By Dariya Salmin 25.3.21

Wollongong AF player U. McKay, re breast injuries/pain, said

"So I get bruising, swelling, and the pain can be there for say up to 48 hours afterwards," she said.
"The knock has come from either an elbow or a boot or just myself running into someone as well. And the football, the football always gives you a stinger."

Ass. Prof. D. McGhee said about 48% of female AF players are experiencing breast injuries- but only 10% report them!

La Trobe Uni Researcher D. Patterson, a former AFLW player, said

"I think we definitely need to increase the awareness of these potential issues amongst coaches, and then being aware of it and if [their tackling- from Patterson, but my emphasis] has to be modified, or whether you know, wearing some protective garments and sports bras to give the girls confidence to go into those contact situations."

The injury affecting half of all AFLW players that no one is talking about
Nearly 50 per cent of AFLW players are experiencing breast injuries, but most women aren't reporting them.
www.abc.net.au

This very high level of breast injuries, & pain & discomfort that a large no. of females experience whilst playing AF, is very disturbing- & is totally unacceptable.

This high frequency of breast injuries etc. is directly attributable to the horrific, constant, heavily congested, & huge rate of tackling, bumping, pushing, & collisions etc. that are occurring in (older) female GR AF, & the AFLW. It is clear that changes to the Rules, & game styles, in female AF are required.

As an immediate response, proper marking technique (with upper arms covering most of the breast area, as boys are taught, to assist in marking the ball- which also reduces the impact caused by the ball) must be thoroughly practised in training. And, when an opponent is sweating on you, take the mark in front, with arms outstretched- not a chest mark.

Also, there will probably be need for greater use of breast coverings eg the highly acclaimed Zena vest.

The constant flooding & running, part of the ugly constant congestion, is also causing lateral movements & pain in many women's breasts.

These are some of the reinforced breast protection vests available for females.

Why don't the AFLW play all games at night [And late afternoon starts also]

Yes.
It is crucial that many more AFLW games be played in late afternoons & evenings, particularly in the Dec.- Feb. heat of summer.
Six & eight pm starts on Fri. & Sat., c. 5.30 & 7.30 starts on Sunday, & c. 7.30 pm starts on Thur. & Mon.

Ratings & Rights' $ will be greatly boosted, also, by playing in Prime Time; & attendances will rise, if fans don't have to watch under the boiling sun (& less skin cancer for players & fans).

This will result in fewer injuries, & a better standard of play/better execution of skills.

Strong heat & dehydration causes weariness & exhaustion, which negatively affect concentration, which = more injuries.
Skill standards (& the general appeal of the AFLW) will rise, obviously, if not playing under the boiling summer sun: sweaty hands= poorer ball control; sweat & suntan lotion in the eyes= poorer concentration for skill execution; overhead sun in day games = blinded eyes/less overhead marking.

Yes- both will become increasingly prevalent.

Children, please. One stupid question at a time.
No. Your pompous reply is demeaning & ill-considered. Females' (& males) health is the paramount consideration.

To promote the AFLW, & female GR AF nos., many changes are essential in the Rules of the AFLW, & how it is organised.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Why don’t they AFLW play on Wednesday nights in footy season?

There's probably a few reasons - best I can think of is that players aren't full time professionals. Midweek interstate trips aren't perfect when you have a job, it basically takes you out for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. It's also not great for crowds, particularly the family crowd the AFLW is going for. Not sure if TV would be interested either.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. SMH's A. Webster referred to the great success some Sydney NRL clubs have had in attracting billionaire supporters- the most recently being in Nov.2021, with M. Cannon-Brookes, IT guru worth c. $20b. (The other billionaires are J. Packer, G. Harvey, & P. Holmes A Court).

Other very wealthy supporters are N. Politis, the Penn family, & R. Crowe- & for Melb. Storm, G. Ryan.

Webster said

"For the past 3 years, the game [NRL] has struggled to gather sponsorship momentum because of the litany of off-field incidents involving players. This ( Cannon- Brookes support, reputedly worth c. $25m part- ownership of South Sydney- my words) is a vote of confidence in the game's brand".

The ability of the NRL to attract such wealthy supporters is a huge, "protective" benefit for RL.

The vast wealth of Sydney, & its multi-trillion $ economy, is another reason why it is inevitable there will be, eventually, a 3rd AFL team in Sydney.
It would be too risky for the AFL not to maximise its access to this vast wealth & influence, that Sydney has in Australia.

2. The NRL is having good success in building its female GR contact RL nos., which is having significant growth in many parts of NSW & Qld. The NRL has instructed GR RL clubs to prioritise female contact RL growth in the last few years.

Group 19 in New England, NW NSW, has introduced in 2021 a full season adult female contact RL comp.- initially, as is very common for GR female contact comps., with 9 females per team. Previously, Group 19 women's contact RL had only a very short season.

E. Dunger said "Group 19 chairman Terry Carson said they needed to accommodate the growing interest for contact rugby league for women".

T. Carson said

"There's been a coming from a bit above us, from NSWRL, about introducing tackle comps instead of league tag comps and we thought we would be better off to try and run it in conjunction for a couple of years".

As RL is, obviously, the culturally dominant sport in NSW & Qld., this female RL growth will be an impediment to female GR AF growth there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back