Footy Developments in NSW and Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

The NRL is having good success in building its female GR contact RL nos.

A quantitative report would be so much better than subjective reports.

As RL is, obviously, the culturally dominant sport in NSW & Qld.

Soccer is easily the most-participated team sport in NSW.

this female RL growth .

That as yet has not being quantified here.

will be an impediment to female GR AF growth there.

You keep making the same statement over and over and over again but you have never elaborated.
If young people have the option to play Australian Football and the desire to play Australian Football - then they will.
It's as simple as that.

Soccer is easily the most-participated team sport in NSW.

You keep making the same statement over and over and over again but you have never elaborated.
If young people have the option to play Australian Football and the desire to play Australian Football - then they will.
It's as simple as that.
His points are fairly obvious - less competition/opportunities from RL would help AFL numbers. No need to elaborate.

His points are fairly obvious - less competition/opportunities from RL would help AFL numbers. No need to elaborate.

So by the same logic you are saying the absolute dominance of soccer in NSW junior participation is killing r.l. and all other sports.
You are saying that a significant number (of women in this particular case) who play or wish to play Australian Football will choose r.l.
This is not evident in my experience.
People will always play their sport of choice if that option is available.

So by the same logic you are saying the absolute dominance of soccer in NSW junior participation is killing r.l. and all other sports.
You are saying that a significant number (of women in this particular case) who play or wish to play Australian Football will choose r.l.
This is not evident in my experience.
People will always play their sport of choice if that option is available.
No. I did not say any of that. You made that up. However, it is obvious that if one thing is more popular, other things are (relatively) less popular. And people won't always play their sport of choice - there are many reason why people play a sport - they join their friends for example, they chose a convenient location, etc. It is obvious that if women's RL grows, there is less room for women's AFL to grow. Obvious. Goes without saying.

if one thing is more popular, other things are (relatively) less popular.

So you're saying that the most popular sport in NSW by far , that is soccer, has made all other sport unpopular.

It is obvious that if .........

that if the options are available then most people will choose their favourite sport.
and when it comes to women there is very little crossover.

I have, on several occasions, provided quantitive & empirical current data on RL contact nos. in NSW & Qld.

examples:-

. I posted in this Thread, & linked, the verbatim comments of the QRL on 24.7.20 that the Rugby League Brisbane Juniors comp. in Greater Brisbane (which does not include the separate Rugby League Ipswich Juniors comp.) had c. 5000 players, male & female total, for U6-U12 inc.; & that the QRL said these players were in 498 teams.

My own comments were that for Greater Brisbane (pop. c.2.2m ie not including the Ipswich district, pop. c. 300k), c. 5000 players for U6-U12 inc., in a RL heartland in 2020, were extraordinarily low, & were shocking. I also stated that c. 12%+ of this 5000 figure included kids, in RL clubs, playing non-contact League Tag. (Teams designated "LT").

(Go to my post of 3.9.20)

. I have also provided, from the various RL organisations own websites, the no. of contact teams they have, in jnr & snr comps., for Greater Sydney, Greater Brisbane, & the ACT- which are often very poor (ie excluding the still strong, in contact RL nos., Penrith District & Ipswich District RL comps.)

Neither the NRL, NSWRL, nor QRL are providing, for several years, specific nos. of the total no. of registered players who are playing contact League in club or school comps.- they only provide "participant" nos. (which include a majority who are playing in one-off Gala Days, school programs, community programs, & other non-contact RL activities).

. many MSM articles on the decline in male contact RL nos. in many parts of NSW & Qld.; & rise in female contact RL nos.

I suggest you provide more empirical data on both male & female contact RL nos. in NSW, ACT, & Qld.- you very rarely do.

Soccer is easily the most-participated team sport in NSW
Virtually everyone who reads this Thread knows that, & I have not suggested, nor implied, otherwise.
I was obviously referring to the cultural dominance of the NRL in NSW & Qld.

See my reply above.

I have also recently stated that RL organisations, in their official published Fixtures for GR Clubs, are now, generally, concealing which teams are contact, or are playing League Tag for 2021.
Previously the Fixture had "LT" (League Tag) next to the age group- but this nomenclature etc. has disappeared. It is, therefore, very difficult now to determine the no. of RL contact teams from the official published Fixtures. They even also removed, in 2021, the "LT" from their 2019 & 2020 Fixtures (accessed by the cursor "arrow" below the 2021 year date)!

(Go to my post 20.11.21, then my point 2)

Why don't you provide any quantitive data on contact RL teams/contact player nos.?

This is incorrect.

I have "elaborated" my views on several occasions why the, now significant, growth of female contact RL in NSW & Qld. (where the NRL is, obviously, the culturally dominant sport) will have a negative impact on the growth of female GR AF there.
(This is not implying that female AF will have a fall in nos.- but it may, in future years, probably not grow as quickly, due to the significant rise in female contact RL nos.)

Last edited:
So you're saying that the most popular sport in NSW by far , that is soccer, has made all other sport unpopular.

that if the options are available then most people will choose their favourite sport.
and when it comes to women there is very little crossover.
Once again, no, I did.not say that. You did. Would you like to write my next couple of posts for me as well?

I have, on several occasions, provided quantitive & empirical current data on RL contact nos. in NSW & Qld.

examples:-

. I posted in this Thread, & linked, the verbatim comments of the QRL on 24.7.20 that the Rugby League Brisbane Juniors comp. (which does not include the Rugby League Ipswich Juniors comp, a separate comp.) had c. 5000 players, male & female total, for U6-U12; & that the QRL said these players were in 498 teams.

My own comments were that for Greater Brisbane (pop. c.2.2m ie not including the Ipswich district, pop. c.350k), c. 5000 players for U6-U12, in a RL heartland in 2020, were extraordinarily low, & were shocking. I also stated that c. 12%+ of this 5000 figure included kids, in RL clubs, playing non-contact League Tag.

(Go to my post of 3.9.20)

. I have also provided, from the various RL organisations own websites, the no. of contact teams they have, in jnr & snr comps., for Greater Sydney, Greater Brisbane, & the ACT- which are often very poor, generally (ie excluding the still strong, in contact RL nos., Penrith District & Ipswich District RL comps.)

Neither the NRL, NSWRL, nor QRL are providing, for several years, specific nos. of the no. of registered players who are playing contact League in club or school comps.- they only provide "participant" nos. (which include a majority who are playing in one-off Gala Days, school programs, community programs, & other non-contact RL activities).

. many MSM articles on the decline in male contact RL nos. in many parts of NSW & Qld.; & rise in female contact RL nos.

I suggest you provide more empirical data on both male & female contact RL nos. in NSW, ACT, & Qld.- you very rarely do.

Virtually everyone who reads this Thread knows that, & I have not suggested, nor implied, otherwise.

See my reply above.

I have also recently stated that RL organisations, in their official published Fixtures for GR Clubs, are now, generally, concealing which teams are contact, or are playing League Tag.
Previously the Fixture had "LT" (League Tag) next to the age group- but this nomenclature etc. has disappeared. It is, therefore, very difficult now to determine the no. of RL contact teams from the official published Fixtures. They even removed the "LT" from the 2019 Fixtures in 2021!

(Go to my post 20.11.21, then my point 2)

Why don't you provide any quantitive data on contact RL teams?

This is incorrect.

I have "elaborated" my views on several occasions why the, now significant, growth of female contact RL in NSW & Qld. (where the NRL is, obviously, the culturally dominant sport) will have a negative impact on the growth of female GR AF there.
(This is not implying that female AF will have a fall in nos.- but it may, in future years, probably not grow as quickly, due to the significant rise in female contact RL nos.)
Your conclusions are self evident. Runvs3 makes no sense at all.

But not in this case.

Why don't you provide any quantitive data on contact RL teams/contact player nos.?

I am not interested in r.l. particulars. I'm interested in Ausralian Football.

That's correct but you ignore the fact that soccer is the hugely dominant junior sport and thus must (by your logic) impinge on other sports.
Then you make up you own criteria of "cultural dominance" to hide the fact.

We're talking about junior participation and you're overlaying an adult idea.

I have "elaborated" my views on several occasions why the, now significant, growth of female contact RL in NSW & Qld. (where the NRL is, obviously, the culturally dominant sport)

but this has prevented r.l. being absolutely swamped by soccer has it.

will have a negative impact on the growth of female GR AF there.

Why do you on about this where by your logic the contact sports should be worried about the huge soccer take-up by juniors in NSW.

1. As of March 2021, Qld. had a net interstate immigration inflow of 7000; & Victoria had a net interstate immigration outflow of 5000.

There have been many MSM reports that, due to Victoria's horrendous 200 days+ total lockdowns from 2020, many Victorians are moving/wish to move to Qld.
This outflow from Vic. will provide a good boost to GR AF player nos., extra volunteers, general progress of AF clubs etc.- mainly in SEQ.

I am not interested in r.l. particulars. I'm interested in Ausralian Football.
Why, if you are "not interested inr.l. particulars" did you request me to provide further details on contact RL player nos.?
I have already provided a significant amount of these details, inc. the no. of GR RL contact teams.

That's correct but you ignore the fact that soccer is the hugely dominant junior sport and thus must (by your logic) impinge on other sports.
Then you make up you own criteria of "cultural dominance" to hide the fact.
No- I recognise the fact that soccer GR. nos. in NSW are by far the biggest of all football codes there, & other sports.
Pro soccer, however, in NSW & Qld. has minor appeal at the cultural level (excluding Socceroos WC matches): A League match ratings are woeful & in decline, & the NRL is clearly dominant over other sports. Even the NRLW GF & NRLW SOO attract excellent ratings.

I accept the views, however, of many RL & RU officials, & RL & RU MSM commentators etc, who have commented on the significant growth of GR AF, & the AFL, in NSW & Qld. They also regard AF as a threat to their contact codes.

The direct competitor of AF in NSW & Qld. are the other 2 contact codes. Playing AF, RL, & RU is dangerous, with a much higher likelihood of injury.
There is a reason why the VAST majority of people in Aust. are not playing the full contact sports of AF, RL, & RU; & why the term "soccer mum" was coined decades ago.
Since the 1960's at least, soccer officials, & soccer marketing, has emphasised the fact it is a much safer game to play- playing to their "safe narrative" & PR "strength".

The non-contact sports are indirect competitors for AF in NSW & Qld.(but in terms of Rights' $, sponsorship $, MSM interest, govt. & Council support for facilities etc., they are direct competitors for AF also, in NSW & Qld.)

Last edited:
Why, if you are "not interested inr.l. particulars" did you request me to provide further details on contact RL player nos.?

To back up your specific claim. You still haven't backed up that specific claim.
Saying you provide other details doesn't change the situation that you haven't backed up this specific claim of yours.
You do understand don't you ?

I recognise the fact that soccer GR. nos. in NSW are by far the biggest of all football codes there, & other sports.

That's what we were talking about junior participation. Adding stuff about the professional situation simply muddies your statements.

The direct competitor of AF in NSW & Qld. are

Any sport that is a real alternative to Australian Football - that is any sport played in the same season with the infrastructure available.
If you are playing one sport then you are probably not playing the other sports.
The situation is not uniform.
In the country there are problems with attaining a critical mass of players.
In the city there might be a problem in attaining sufficient infrastructure.
In the tropics basketball is popular.

The direct competitor for GWS is soccer w.r.t. junior participation. This is where GWS is attempting to build their support.
The challenge is for GWS to exhibit Australian Football as a much more interesting pathway than their traditional soccer.
The term "soccer moms" is used w.r.t. your anglo-celtic friends and not with your "immigrant" target group.
If you knew anything about junior Australian Football then you would know that it is "non-contact" in the beginning
and progressively brings in more features of Australian Football.
If you knew anything about soccer you'd know that pendulum has swung and people are getting concerned about heading the ball.
Also soccer is the most injurious of the footballs (albeit minor)

Yes, the NRL is big publicity, but it seems very ineffectual if you look at crowds and participation etc.
maybe you immigrant families think NRL is a game for New Zealanders.
The A-L is also out there and you'd think that they'd easily pick up support but they haven't (not comparatively)
So the AFL, with a game each week in Sydney and one team to represent a huge population catchment area
are doing OK. IMO they are on track. It's a lot of hard work, an investment, going around to schools, showing your face,
demonstrating and answering questions. It's this sort of close contact that can make a huge impression.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Victoria had a net interstate immigration outflow of 5000.

many Victorians are moving/wish to move to Qld

This outflow from Vic. will provide a good boost to GR AF player nos., extra volunteers, general progress of AF clubs etc.- mainly in SEQ.

That's the qualitative approach.

If we say all of the 5,000 Victorians moved to Queensland what is the quantitative approach ?
AFL Queensland states 216,000 participants. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=afl+participation+qld.
A recent Roy Morgan poll stated 60% of Victorians support an AFL team. I find these polls very inflated and confused on terminology.
So using these extremely optimistic figures (IMO) that leaves 3,000 Victorians interested in AFL.
Let's assume for simplicity that households moved to Queensland. The average Australian household is 2.5 people.
That's very confusing and the only conclusion that can be drawn is that on average adults figure highly in Australian households.
Let's take a punt and say that it was mostly families that moved to Queensland - two adults and two children.
That means of the 3,000 AFL interested Victorians 1,500 would be available to help as adults
and another 1,500 would be available to participate.

1,500 is by no means a fantastic boost. A good boost ? - depends on your definition of good. it's better than nothing.
1,500 is a super optimistic figure assuming all Victorians that are interested in AFL are interested enough to do something local.
It also assumes that the Victorians leaving are average. They could be Victorians energised to move
because they do NOT have a sporting basis to give foundation to staying.

That's the qualitative approach.

If we say all of the 5,000 Victorians moved to Queensland what is the quantitative approach ?
AFL Queensland states 216,000 participants. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=afl+participation+qld.
A recent Roy Morgan poll stated 60% of Victorians support an AFL team. I find these polls very inflated and confused on terminology.
So using these extremely optimistic figures (IMO) that leaves 3,000 Victorians interested in AFL.
Let's assume for simplicity that households moved to Queensland. The average Australian household is 2.5 people.
That's very confusing and the only conclusion that can be drawn is that on average adults figure highly in Australian households.
Let's take a punt and say that it was mostly families that moved to Queensland - two adults and two children.
That means of the 3,000 AFL interested Victorians 1,500 would be available to help as adults
and another 1,500 would be available to participate.

1,500 is by no means a fantastic boost. A good boost ? - depends on your definition of good. it's better than nothing.
1,500 is a super optimistic figure assuming all Victorians that are interested in AFL are interested enough to do something local.
It also assumes that the Victorians leaving are average. They could be Victorians energised to move
because they do NOT have a sporting basis to give foundation to staying.
Half of them could be over 65.

1. SMH A. Pengilly 20.12 21

For the period 2023-2027, with Rights' negotiations just recently completed with NINE, A. Abdo has stated that the NRL has a record deal of "over $400m" pa. This "over $400m" includes $164m, over 5 years, from NZ broadcasters.
(Their previous pre covid deal was $1.8b over 5 years, plus $94 m for NZ rights over 5 years = $379m pa. For 2020-2022, there were big cuts in their Rights' $, due to covid- the NRL have been, & still are, refusing to divulge this 2020 -2022 lower amount. At least now, they detail the 2023-27 amount).

Abdo & P. V'landys have stated that GR RL growth will be a key focus of expenditure in this record deal.

Abdo said

" That puts us in a position to think about how we can invest to grow and having the most amount of people playing our sport, including touch, tag and tackle for men and women.
For us to be able to get over $400 million locked up in media rights in the new cycle is the highest the game has ever had".

“We’re always thinking about growth and ways in which we can return even more to our stakeholders, whether making sure the clubs are viable or the right investments into participation. It needs to make it down to grassroots and felt by our community clubs while we make sure our elite players are getting a fair wage (all emphases mine)”.

The record "over $400m" pa, for 2023-2027, can be considered a good result for the NRL, given the huge negative impacts of covid, & severe economic dislocation/downturn in Aust.

The negative view, however, is that the NRL:-

. is providing 12 extra H & A games pa from 2023, the intro. of the Dolphins.
And both NINE & Foxtel were very keen for a Brisbane 2 entering the NRL, as RL heartland ratings would likely rise strongly.

. has closed its "NRL News Division" of nrl.com: no more big NRL breaking- news stories/exclusives etc.: less competition, & a big plus, for NINE & News Ltd. re NRL stories.
J. Grant said, c.2018, that a vigorous/well resourced nrl.com might have a value of $1b+ in the future.

. the NRL no longer allows Telstra to stream matches- this, also, benefits NINE & Foxtel/Kayo.

. for 2023-2024, the AFL is receiving $473m Rights' $ pa- pre 2020, it was $418m pa. The AFL, therefore, has increased its Rights' differential over the NRL, on an annual Rights' basis. The AFL will negotiate a new Rights' deal for the period 2025 onwards- will this differential be extended?

It will be interesting to see how the NRL promises, post the Rights' deal, of a heavier focus on "grassroots" & "tackle" nos. eventuates.

Why do you on about this where by your logic the contact sports should be worried about the huge soccer take-up by juniors in NSW.
I have never claimed that, in NSW & Qld., RL, RU, & AF authorities in NSW & Qld. are not concerned by the large nos. playing soccer, basketball, other sports, computer games, going to the gym etc.

I have said the direct competitors of the 3 contact sports there, are the other 2 contact sports- & multiple RL & RU officials & GR RL & RU officials, & RL & RU experts in the MSM, have said that AF is a threat to RL & RU, respectively, in NSW & Qld.

There is a reason a big majority of people don't want to play a contact sport!

You still haven't backed up that specific claim.
Incorrect- I provided a link, showing the creation of a new women's tackle RL comp. in New England NW NSW.

Many other links have been provided showing the growth, off a small base, of female GR contact RL in NSW & Qld.; & the NRLW GF & NRLW SOO attract very strong ratings.

Also soccer is the most injurious of the footballs (albeit minor)
Leaving aside heading in matches & in practice, can you provide any reliable data (ie per 1000 playing hours) that "soccer is the most injurious of the footballs (albeit minor)". And also data on injuries requiring a visit to a doctor &/or hospital?

The 5000 net exodus in interstate migration in Victoria was only for the 12 month period up to March 2021.
MSM reports have reported this net exodus from Victoria, to Qld. etc., is very likely to be continuing. If it continues for many years, this is very likely to be beneficial for GR AF growth in Qld.

ABS said 13.1.22

"The October quarter search data coincides with Australian Bureau of Statistics population figures showing that during the year to June 2021, 79,907 people migrated away from Victoria – more than any other state or territory".

The ABS also said that Victoria has had a net migration loss of 58,565 in the year to June 2021.

Last edited:
I have never claimed that, in NSW & Qld., RL, RU, & AF authorities in NSW & Qld. are not concerned by the large nos. playing soccer, basketball, other sports, computer games, going to the gym etc.

You have never mentioned that, in NSW & Qld., RL, RU, & AF authorities in NSW & Qld. are not concerned by the large nos. playing soccer, basketball, other sports, computer games, going to the gym etc. because it doesn't suit your argument.

I have said the direct competitors

Adnauseum - and I have said otherwise.

In NSW w.r.t. juniors, the point in question - it's parents and tradition.
And with Ausdtralian Football we have Auskick and modified football.
Answer this why not !
So soccer is a direct competitor of other sports.
The problem is to change the profile of Australian Football in NSW to that tobe more consistent with other states.

Leaving aside heading in matches & in practice, can you provide any reliable data (ie per 1000 playing hours) that "soccer is the most injurious of the footballs (albeit minor)". And also data on injuries requiring a visit to a doctor &/or hospital?

No. It's an observation based experience - just like your anglo-celtic crap.
Quid pro quo.
can you provide any reliable data (ie per 1000 playing hours) on yours claims ?

"The October quarter search data coincides with Australian Bureau of Statistics population figures showing that during the year to June 2021"

WTF are you bringing this up. Didn't i show you that is quite an insignificant benefit to Queensland it the total scheme of things ?
Why do repeatedly repeat your statements rather than answer my answers ?

Last edited:
1. SMH A. Pengilly 20.12 21

For the period 2023-2027, with Rights' negotiations just recently completed with NINE, A. Abdo has stated that the NRL has a record deal of "over $400m" pa. This "over $400m" includes $164m, over 5 years, from NZ broadcasters.
(Their previous pre covid deal was $1.8b over 5 years, plus $94 m for NZ rights over 5 years = $379m pa. For 2020-2022, there were big cuts in their Rights' $, due to covid)).

Abdo & P. V'landys have stated that GR RL growth will be a key focus of expenditure in this record deal.

Abdo said

" That puts us in a position to think about how we can invest to grow and having the most amount of people playing our sport, including touch, tag and tackle for men and women.
For us to be able to get over $400 million locked up in media rights in the new cycle is the highest the game has ever had".

“We’re always thinking about growth and ways in which we can return even more to our stakeholders, whether making sure the clubs are viable or the right investments into participation. It needs to make it down to grassroots and felt by our community clubs while we make sure our elite players are getting a fair wage (all emphases mine)”.

The record "over $400m" pa, for 2023-2027, can be considered a good result for the NRL, given the huge negative impacts of covid, & severe economic dislocation/downturn in Aust.

The negative view, however, is that the NRL:-

. is providing 12 extra H & A games pa from 2023, the intro. of the Dolphins.
And both NINE & Foxtel were very keen for a Brisbane 2 entering the NRL, as RL heartland ratings would likely rise strongly.

. has closed its "NRL News Division" of nrl.com: no more big NRL news stories/exclusives etc.: less competition, & a big plus, for NINE & News Ltd. re NRL stories.
J. Grant once said that a vigorous/well resourced nrl.com might have a value of $1b $ in the future.

. for 2023-2024, the AFL is receiving $473m Rights' $ pa- pre 2020, it was $418m pa. The AFL, therefore, has increased its Rights' advantage over the NRL, on an annual Rights' basis. The AFL will negotiate a new Rights' deal for the period 2025 onwards.

It will be interesting to see how the NRL promises, post the Rights' deal, of a heavier focus on "grassroots" & "tackle" nos. eventuates.

I have said the direct competitors of the 3 contact sports there, are the other 2 contact sports- & multiple RL & RU officials & GR RL & RU officials, & RL & RU experts in the MSM, have said that AF is a threat to RL & RU, respectively, in NSW & Qld.

Incorrect- I provided a link, showing the creation of a new women's tackle RL comp. in New England NW NSW.

Many other links have been provided showing the growth, off a small base, of female GR contact RL in NSW & Qld.; & the NRLW GF & NRLW SOO attract very strong ratings.

The 5000 net exodus in interstate migration in Victoria was only for the 12 month period up to March 2021.
MSM reports have reported this net exodus from Victoria, to Qld. etc., is very likely to be continuing. If it continues for many years, this is very likely to be beneficial for GR AF growth in Qld.

ABS said 13.1.22

"The October quarter search data coincides with Australian Bureau of Statistics population figures showing that during the year to June 2021, 79,907 people migrated away from Victoria – more than any other state or territory".

The ABS also said that Victoria has had a net migration loss of 58,565 in the year to June 2021.

This type of migration has been going on for years particularly to QLD. One of the reasons is no or very little inwards overseas migration to top up the various states populations each year.
I

This post is an interesting indicator of the AFL's progress in regional Queensland.

The post was on Mackay's Daily Mercury in the lead up to the AFLW game (and was one of five Facebook posts surrounding the match).

Mackay (3).png

The comments were 50/50 (five each). There was a vote each way on Twitter too.

League was more popular in the "reaction" emoji vote, the poll was 112-46. Facebookers automatically click "like" as an acknowledgement, so I'd say it would more accurately be about 80-46.

It's a small sample size, but half of comments and about a third of votes are good numbers for the AFL in a rugby league heartland. The numbers also bode well because you'd think the AFL had gained more traction in the non-Facebook crowd (read: younger people).

Does anybody know is footy more popular in NSW or Queensland? I'm talking in regards to the local born and bred population of the two states for general interest (excluding expats living in these states).

Does anybody know is footy more popular in NSW or Queensland? I'm talking in regards to the local born and bred population of the two states for general interest (excluding expats living in these states).

Barassi line dips into NSW, but relatively small population involved.
Brisbane/Gold Coast has smaller population than greater Sydney, but definitely has greater penetration. Decent penetration in Cairns as well.
How does that work out on balance?
Guessing it's close, Qld might take it by a whisker.

Does anybody know is footy more popular in NSW or Queensland?

Depends what criteria you use - outright or proportional and depends what level you are looking at.
NSW has more participants than Qld but not a hell of a lot more.
At AFL level the Swans + Giants > Lions + Suns. (without the AFLW)
AFLQ has historically had much better supported amateur competitions but NSW has boomed lately .

This post is an interesting indicator of the AFL's progress in regional Queensland.

The post was on Mackay's Daily Mercury in the lead up to the AFLW game (and was one of five Facebook posts surrounding the match).

Not really. 10 particpants - come on.
Was this a realy lame attempt at code wars t bolster circulation ?
Interesting that the use a picture of a NRL player Vs an AFLW player and state prefer
watching rugby league (not NRL) Vs AFL.

The Queensland Girls Secondary Schools Sports Association will introduce, in 2022, a SEQ girls' AF inter-school AF comp., on a provisional basis.
If the inaugural comp. is successful in 2022, it will become a permanent inter-school comp. in the QGSSSA from 2023.

(Go to tweet 8.12 21, for the video from D. Mitchelmore AFLQ, & school leaders, explaining how the comp. was formed, & major AFLQ involvement- & its aspirations to grow female school AF in SEQ).

"More than 1200 students" from the QGSSSA schools trained, in Term 4 2021, for AF skills & practice matches etc.- to prepare the girls for the 2022 inter-school AF comp. Many had never played AF before.

This is the first time that the QGSSSA has introduced a "collision sport" into the girls' inter-school competitions.

These developments will add to the already very strong growth of female AF comp. player nos. in SEQ.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back