What are the lessons clubs/media/fans will take from this year that are true and not so true?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic fans will continue to deny the advantage that the MCG delivers, gifted not earned.
Obviously playing at the MCG gives teams that call that stadium home some advantage.
Not as big an advantage as it is, had other clubs played their home games on similar sized grounds rather than grounds of different dimensions, which gives them a big advantage in the home and away season. So in that aspect, your club only has itself to blame.

But if your take home message from the 2017 season is that West Coast should continue to avoid playing grand finals at the MCG, then I would rate your clubs last 10 years as very successful.

The simple fact of the matter is... The GF is going to remain at the G for the foreseeable future and you can piss and moan about how unfair it is...( In fact please do it's hilarious) all you like nothing is going to change you know it and we know it

You take an unfair advantage, know it but are in denial - if you accepted the denial, you would be admitting non Melbourne clubs start a GF from behind & you accuse me of piss & moan, yet adopt a divine right to the status quo, elitist nonsense.
Its not going to change I do agree BUT there was a line of thought in the naughties that the MCG venue was neutral, at least there are few dinosaurs running that line of thought now, arguably the biggest step forward since clubs were able to earn home State finals.

Last edited:
Is that why West Coast lost the 2005 Grand Final?

Where you been, how is that loss relevant? Drew Banfield accepts he should he should have goaled, Tadhg Kennelly hopes no one looks his way in the photo of the match saving Leo Barry mark - excuses, excuses the best team won & it didn't need a start.
Win a few, lose a few, just make it equitable.

Obviously playing at the MCG gives teams that call that stadium home some advantage.
Not as big an advantage as it is, had other clubs played their home games on similar sized grounds rather than grounds of different dimensions, which gives them a big advantage in the home and away season. So in that aspect, your club only has itself to blame.

But if your take home message from the 2017 season is that West Coast should continue to avoid playing grand finals at the MCG, then I would rate your clubs last 10 years as very successful.

Thanks for that but we'll keep coming, you keep taking. Yep we've only played in one GF in the past 5 years, Richmond only one AFL GF ever, or is that incorrect? Cue AFL/VFL misnomer.

Thanks for that but we'll keep coming, you keep taking. Yep we've only played in one GF in the past 5 years, Richmond only one AFL GF ever, or is that incorrect? Cue AFL/VFL misnomer.
Indeed West Coast have been in more Grand Finals and won more premierships at the MCG than the Tigers since you entered the comp.
I don't see how that supports your argument that the AFL is biased towards Richmond.
It is an advantage to Richmond that it plays its Grand Finals at the G, which has occurred once in 37 years, but at this time alternatives aren't feasible.
For example: Would you be prepared to have 20k of your home ground seats reserved for AFL members etc every game all year, which would be mostly empty for many games each season, denying West Coast supporters a seat?
And that's just one small consideration.

Where you been, how is that loss relevant? Drew Banfield accepts he should he should have goaled, Tadhg Kennelly hopes no one looks his way in the photo of the match saving Leo Barry mark - excuses, excuses the best team won & it didn't need a start.
Win a few, lose a few, just make it equitable.

Im not following your argument. Those things occurred because the Grand Final was played at the MCG?

You take an unfair advantage, know it but are in denial - if you accepted the denial, you would be admitting non Melbourne clubs start a GF from behind & you accuse me of piss & moan, yet adopt a divine right to the status quo, elitist nonsense.
Its not going to change I do agree BUT there was a line of thought in the naughties that the MCG venue was neutral, at least there are few dinosaurs running that line of thought now, arguably the biggest step forward since clubs were able to earn home State finals.

I'm not adopting divine right.. What sort of a horseshit statement is that.. I'm not taking unfair advantage..and I'm sure as hell not in denial although I suspect you are . The fans and supporters of Victorian clubs are not behind some big conspiracy...im merely stating that this is how it is... The AFL has decided and made binding contracts with the MCC that this is where the grand final is played... That's it... That's what I was stating. Period ....its not game of thrones pal... It's just the footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rumours board is a lie. There is no big story about to break. A big story will eventually come anyway and that mockery of a thread will try and claim the credit.

I'm not adopting divine right.. What sort of a horseshit statement is that.. I'm not taking unfair advantage..and I'm sure as hell not in denial although I suspect you are . The fans and supporters of Victorian clubs are not behind some big conspiracy...im merely stating that this is how it is... The AFL has decided and made binding contracts with the MCC that this is where the grand final is played... That's it... That's what I was stating. Period ....its not game of thrones pal... It's just the footy

Just a benefit to some teams not others & guess what, those benefitting will work to keep it.

Vic fans will continue to deny the advantage that the MCG delivers, gifted not earned.
I dont think this disputable. That said, i dont think its as big an advantage as its made out to be.
The Swans beat what was a very good hawthorn side in 2012. A side that went on to win the next 3.
The Lions of the early 2000s dominated

Add to that, Freo beat the eventual premiers at the G earlier in the year.
Im not sure its that much of an advantage given its not an odd sized ground like the SCG.

In terms of sharing it, id be happy for it to be anywhere as long as its the biggest and best stadium in the country.
At the moment, its the G.

Don't get caught if you take drugs.
EFA.

Is that like the one you get every second week?
Pfft.
You all aint nuttin without the VFL anyway. Remember that !

You missed the travel, some do, some don't. But in the context of lessons learnt, many are rooted in yesteryear, last century, the era of the State based leagues, where unlike the AFL, no State had all the best players.
Example for you bagger, the captain of the Saints in there only VFL flag (no AFL flags yet), bloke called Baldock played 352 games in the State League days, only 119 in the VFL.
https://australianfootball.com/players/player/darrel+baldock/9431

Last edited:

No one will ever be able to rank the Hawks 3peat alongside the Lions achievement.
That’s true. The Hawks didn’t have an expanded salary cap, concessions stemming back from the six-eight years prior and dubious umpires call to get them over the line.

The Hawks threepeat was much more meritous.

Im not following your argument. Those things occurred because the Grand Final was played at the MCG?
Yep. If the ground had been longer and narrower like Subi the pack wouldn’t have been so wide, and the umpire would have spotted Kennelly’s “infringement” more readily, leaving Sampi the opportunity to kick the match winner.

It’s all the MCG’s fault.

The grandfinal being played at the MCG has never been an issue since the tigers won this year, says a lot really

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you'd been here before August 17 you'd know that belief is hilariously inaccurate.

Interstate fans have been up in arms about the grand final location for as long as this site has operated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back