What are you currently watching?

Came across a show called Grisse from HBO Asia. Set in mid-1800s in Dutch East Indies and focuses on a local rebellion. Great story and solid acting from the Indon actors. Absolute crap acting from a couple of the white guys. Well worth watching. In English.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finished the Umbrella Academy last night. It was something. I enjoyed it for the most part, particularly some of the influences / homages to historic works. Clanged a bit in places too though.

Tonight - I'm in a weird mood. Can't seem to maintain attention at all. Literally nothing I want to watch on Netflix. So more s**t mood rather than weird I guess. Therefore I'm going to watch the 2014 Grand Final. Never fails to cheer me up!:p
I enjoyed umbrella academy too. Also on Netflix is a show called perfume. Is foreign but dubbed to English. Pays homage to the book but is its own story. Really enjoyed it and would recommend.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I enjoyed umbrella academy too. Also on Netflix is a show called perfume. Is foreign but dubbed to English. Pays homage to the book but is its own story. Really enjoyed it and would recommend.

Cheers :)

I watched Ricky Gervais's new outing last night - After Life. Sat down to watch one episode. Binged all 6. I found it to be an extremely humorous and rewarding way of spending an evening. I would almost go so far to say it was one of the best pieces of television I've seen in years, but that's more a commentary on the state of modern television and my own personal tastes. I'm sure there are plenty who hate it. Me? I laughed. I cried. I found it uncomfortably close to home at times. But ultimately a really well done little screenplay. YMMV

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cheers :)

I watched Ricky Gervais's new outing last night - After Life. Sat down to watch one episode. Binged all 6. I found it to be an extremely humorous and rewarding way of spending an evening. I would almost go so far to say it was one of the best pieces of television I've seen in years, but that's more a commentary on the state of modern television and my own personal tastes. I'm sure there are plenty who hate it. Me? I laughed. I cried. I found it uncomfortably close to home at times. But ultimately a really well done little screenplay. YMMV
Haha that’s interesting. I think TV is in a golden age. More money being spent on more ambitious and varied shows than at any time in history. 15 years ago you wouldn’t have GoT. We are seeing high caliber film actors jumping across to TV because the stuff being made is as good or better and it pays well too. I can’t imagine any other time in my life where shows like stranger things, altered carbon and the expanse would have been attempted. The AO. Sense 8. They just wouldn’t get made. Not all shows are winners but you have so much choice now that you just don’t have to watch s**t shows anymore.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haha that’s interesting. I think TV is in a golden age. More money being spent on more ambitious and varied shows than at any time in history. 15 years ago you wouldn’t have GoT. We are seeing high caliber film actors jumping across to TV because the stuff being made is as good or better and it pays well too. I can’t imagine any other time in my life where shows like stranger things, altered carbon and the expanse would have been attempted. The AO. Sense 8. They just wouldn’t get made. Not all shows are winners but you have so much choice now that you just don’t have to watch s**t shows anymore.

Yeah - pretty hard to argue with that. And that my watching of non-sport TV is all netflix now too.

My internal monologue was along the lines of "FTA is cluttered with 'reality' shows, but this show is amazing. It's such a pity". Completely ignoring the fact that After Life wouldn't be able to be shown on FTA in its current edit anyway. Didn't really think that comment through :)

Oct 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Agree however $$ isnt the main reason, its the writers. Small to medium films just never make money these days (even less so than in the past). China effect takes up too much of global theatres now for studios to ignore them, as such films need to be made with them in mind (can I say "simpler" plots?).

As such the worlds best writers all work in tv now where they can express their stories.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So much cross promotion and filler in the F1 coverage.

What happened to the good old days when some well speaking English chap would take us through how one of their steering wheels worked?

Second season of Counterpart.

Intriguing.
still need to watch season 1, trying to get through GOT again before the final season starts in a few weeks

Finished the Umbrella Academy last night. It was something. I enjoyed it for the most part, particularly some of the influences / homages to historic works. Clanged a bit in places too though.

Tonight - I'm in a weird mood. Can't seem to maintain attention at all. Literally nothing I want to watch on Netflix. So more s**t mood rather than weird I guess. Therefore I'm going to watch the 2014 Grand Final. Never fails to cheer me up!:p

Just finished watching the Umbrella Academy as well. So crook after our game on Sunday :D. Great series, loves the soundtracks selections. Can't wait for season 2.

Hens Hall

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watching the Love, Death and Robots anime anthology on Netflix.

Episodes range from 6 minutes to ~20 minutes. All individual non aligned short stories essentially.

Good for a quick watch if short on time and if you like anime.

Aug 4, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just checked out The Dirt (motley Crüe biopic) . Typical kind of music movie, a really dumb ass band. Dr. feelgood’s a great song though, don’t mind that one.

Series 3 of Santa Clarita Diet, there wont be a season 4
Series 1 of After Life, funny but depressing at the same time.
yeah annoyed about Santa Clarita Diet
After Life you certainly don't want to be too down when you watch it

So, after 8 seasons, GOT finishes as an absolute fizzer. That's what you get when Hollywood finishes writing the story.

Imagine you are six years old on christmas morning. You jump up really excited to open your present, and all you get is a new pair of underpants.

THAT is what it felt like watching the last episode.

Last edited:
So, after 8 seasons, GOT finishes as an absolute fizzer. That's what you get when Hollywood finishes writing the story.

Imagine you are six years old on christmas morning. You jump up really excited to open your present, and all you get is a new pair of underpants.

THAT is what it felt like watching the last episode.
Agree last episode was completely shithouse. The scene with tyrian and Jon snow was just terrible and went for too long which was the point where i knew it was on the nose. Oh well still plenty of good viewing.

Agree last episode was completely shithouse. The scene with tyrian and Jon snow was just terrible and went for too long which was the point where i knew it was on the nose. Oh well still plenty of good viewing.
I find it quite amusing that the actors, so far Harrington, Turner and Hempstead Wright, are reacting to all the criticism of the last episode. What they must understand is that it is not their fault the writers had no imagination and were quite lazy. All the supposed hard work on their side doesn't make up for the lazy, poor quality work from the writers, who seem to just want to get it finished after the work put into episode 3.

I find it quite amusing that the actors, so far Harrington, Turner and Hempstead Wright, are reacting to all the criticism of the last episode. What they must understand is that it is not their fault the writers had no imagination and were quite lazy. All the supposed hard work on their side doesn't make up for the lazy, poor quality work from the writers, who seem to just want to get it finished after the work put into episode 3.
maybe they don't share your view on the lazy writing
they have worked with the writers for almost 10 years, they might have a relationship with them and not like seeing so many people insult them

maybe they don't share your view on the lazy writing
they have worked with the writers for almost 10 years, they might have a relationship with them and not like seeing so many people insult them
You are most likely correct in that they don't share my view. But there is no denying that the majority of viewers, from all reports, were disappointed with the final couple of episodes, which clearly indicates that what the writers thought was a fitting climax, actually wasn't.

Regardless, it is all done now, and no amount of discussion will change it. Kit Harrington might want to think twice about telling critics, who are likely also his fans, to 'go f*&k themselves'.

Back