What are you currently watching?

Obi-Wan Kenobi series is looking good. Set in the period between the episodes 3 and 4. Stars Ewen McGregor, Hayden Christensen and a few other familiar faces.

Another Star Wars series called Andor has just been released. This is a prequel to Rogue One.

The Old Man starring Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow seems quite good. Only watched one episode so far but was impressed. About an ex-CIA agent who has lived off the grid for 30 years finds himself being hunted by the CIA.

Definitely worth a look.

Obi-Wan Kenobi series is looking good. Set in the period between the episodes 3 and 4. Stars Ewen McGregor, Hayden Christensen and a few other familiar faces.

Another Star Wars series called Andor has just been released. This is a prequel to Rogue One.
This series has taken me a while to warm to.

But yesterdays episode was excellent.
Definitely the best so far.

Only Murders in the building. (2022) (Disney plus)

Season 2

Starring the brilliant Steve Martin, Martin Short and the delightful Selena Gomez

Carries on from right where they left off at the end of season 1.

New eps every Tuesday, first 2 on line now.

Fun, well written whodoneit but not so much for the kids, ok. Well worth a look.

"Only in death could Bunny still manage to flip you the bird!"

The Old Man starring Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow seems quite good. Only watched one episode so far but was impressed. About an ex-CIA agent who has lived off the grid for 30 years finds himself being hunted by the CIA.

Definitely worth a look.
Update: Available on Disney+ on July 13.

Crock

All Australian
Oct 22, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Highly recommend "Slow Horses" and "Reacher" (the Series)
Read the books before the series were produced.
Both series follow the books fairly well!

The one that I'm anticipating (not released here yet) is "The Gray Man", also an excellent book!
Unfortunately being released as a movie not a series.
Suspect it will be similar to "Bourne" and "John Wick"

cheers

The one that I'm anticipating (not released here yet) is "The Gray Man", also an excellent book!
Unfortunately being released as a movie not a series.
Suspect it will be similar to "Bourne" and "John Wick"

cheers
Enjoyed Reacher and also looking forward to The Gray Man.
Another I am looking forward to watching is The Terminal List.

The Terminal List (Amazon) is excellent. Probably the best series I have seen over the last couple of years. Must watch.

Also, a 3-part BBC series called Time starring Sean Bean, is well worth watching. About an alcoholic teacher who accidentally kills a man and gets sent to prison. Slow but rivetting.

Last edited:

cheers

Enjoyed "Slow Horses" except felt "The Bodyguard"(2018) was better. Swap the Ep 1 Act 1 of the airport terminal for the train station in The Bodyguard and they are just about the same opening.

"Reacher" was good, much better than Tom Cruise playing the role but... he gets stabbed, right across the back of the shoulders; so he gets superglued up and the next day he is fighting and smashing people up as if he is 100% fit.... small annoyance but looking forward to season 2.

Some really good TV available at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing

• The Old Man
  • Black Bird
  • and the return of Better Call Saul as well as continuing to watch the new episodes of "Only murders in the building."
Also found on Stan yesterday, "Nude Tuesday" (2022) the film that was recently at the cinemas. Quirky comedy and all for free on Stan.

Enjoyed "Slow Horses" except felt "The Bodyguard"(2018) was better. Swap the Ep 1 Act 1 of the airport terminal for the train station in The Bodyguard and they are just about the same opening.

"Reacher" was good, much better than Tom Cruise playing the role but... he gets stabbed, right across the back of the shoulders; so he gets superglued up and the next day he is fighting and smashing people up as if he is 100% fit.... small annoyance but looking forward to season 2.

Some really good TV available at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing

• The Old Man
  • Black Bird
  • and the return of Better Call Saul as well as continuing to watch the new episodes of "Only murders in the building."
Also found on Stan yesterday, "Nude Tuesday" (2022) the film that was recently at the cinemas. Quirky comedy and all for free on Stan.
Just watched Slow Horses, and agree totally. It was enjoyable (loved Gary Oldman) but not quite up to the Bodyguard. Still well worth a look. Season 2 might improve.

The Terminal List should be added to your list, mate. ;)

Thought I would add a couple of little known movies that are excellent:

The Man from Earth 2007 - has a cast of only 7 or 8. Takes place around the fireplace of one of the guys who reveals he is 10,000 years old.
My name is Khan 2010 - Mentally limited Pakistani muslim migrates to the US
Alpha 2018 - prehistory in contrived language and subtitled
The Legend of Tomiris 2019 - from Kazakhstan, subtitled. Battle against the Persian invaders.
Once Were Warriors 1994 - NZ movie starring Temeura Morrison. Brutal.

And just to make some sort of outlandish claim - Unforgiven 1992 is just about the best western movie ever made.

Last edited:
FX TV in US if you can get it. Probably end up on Foxtel here eventually.

FX has a tie-in with Disney+ in Australia and it will be on there as of tomorrow - can't wait to check it out!

Edit: Just saw that you also posted that.

With the outlandish claim of Unforgiven (which probably isn't that outlandish as it is one of the few westerns to win Best Picture at the Oscars) - would you consider No Country for Old Men a western despite the somewhat modern setting? Still easily the best movie of the 2000s for mine.

I've finally found out about Ted Lasso. What a great show. It makes you feel good after watching it. I watched both seasons over a week during school holidays. Can't wait for season 3, where Nate has turned bad!

Did you notice the how Nate was so betrayed that he doesn't have the photo he gave him in his office but it's in Ted's flat next to a picture of his kid. Heartbreaking stuff.

Bill Lawrence was so bloody excellent at punching you hard in the guts during the good years of Scrubs - so him combining with Sudekis is such an amazing mix. I love/hate that they are likely to end it after season 3 - love that they won't flog it to death but hate that it won't continue.

FX has a tie-in with Disney+ in Australia and it will be on there as of tomorrow - can't wait to check it out!

Edit: Just saw that you also posted that.

With the outlandish claim of Unforgiven (which probably isn't that outlandish as it is one of the few westerns to win Best Picture at the Oscars) - would you consider No Country for Old Men a western despite the somewhat modern setting? Still easily the best movie of the 2000s for mine.
Firstly, I would not classify No Country for Old Men as a western. There have been quite a few of these drug cartel sale gone wrong type movies. Secondly, and this is quite interesting, that two people can watch the movie and have quite different reactions. I found the movie watchable, but unsatisfying. Tommy Lee Jones and Woody Harrelson had parts that did not even need to be in the movie. The villain was excellent, though.

I guess this is why there is such a range out there. Something for everybody's taste. Funny thing is, those tastes can often overlap. You found No Country For Old Men excellent. I did not. But I am certain we would agree on others, so I still value your opinion on shows and movies.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I love my short, sharp humour so every couple of weeks or so I do a google search for 'best new comedy series'. It mostly leads to uninspiring pilots I give up on halfway through the second ep at best.

But I just watched the pilot of 'Only Murders in the Building' and it's the most promising I've seen in a long, long time. Made me seriously laugh while also looking like it has some genuine heart. Hope it's not a false dawn but I'm pretty excited to watch more.

I love my short, sharp humour so every couple of weeks or so I do a google search for 'best new comedy series'. It mostly leads to uninspiring pilots I give up on halfway through the second ep at best.

But I just watched the pilot of 'Only Murders in the Building' and it's the most promising I've seen in a long, long time. Made me seriously laugh while also looking like it has some genuine heart. Hope it's not a false dawn but I'm pretty excited to watch more.
Started this a week or two ago because season two coming out reminded me it existed.
It's good

If you don’t mind swearing and particularly swearing that’s directed at children - Breeders on Disney+ (or via less official means if you really want to be up to date) is an excellent British comedy. While not as good as Catastrophe it’s very much in that vein.

For all mankind on Apple TV. Alternate history space race where the Soviets were first to the moon and it kept the space race going into the 90s.

Joel Kinnaman (Killing, Altered Carbon S1, Robocop reboot, Suicide Squad) the most famous name in the cast.

Up to Season 3 now in the 90s. Super show.

Just watched a 4-episode British series called DI Ray. An english-born woman of Indian descent is appointed to Homicide and struggles for acceptance. Good story and well set up for a second series. Got to hand it to the Brits, they do know how to make a good cop show.

Back