What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
"I hope that I don't fall in love with you" could have been about meeting Rickie Lee Jones at the Troubadour Club, but that happened a couple of years later. Have a look at Rickie Lee Jones talking about meeting Waits for the first time.

What a songwriting team they would have made. They both write amazing lyrics.
Her whole album "Pirates" is about Waits breaking up with her, with songs like "We Belong Together", "Lucky Guy" and "Woody and Dutch on a slow train to Peking" all about Waits.
I've seen an interview with Waits where he said he was intimidated and a bit scared of her, apparently she was a really wild child during those years.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019
Kgari Coast Qld.
AFL Club
Carlton
"I hope that I don't fall in love with you" could have been about meeting Rickie Lee Jones at the Troubadour Club, but that happened a couple of years later. Have a look at Rickie Lee Jones talking about meeting Waits for the first time.

What a songwriting team they would have made. They both write amazing lyrics.
Her whole album "Pirates" is about Waits breaking up with her, with songs like "We Belong Together", "Lucky Guy" and "Woody and Dutch on a slow train to Peking" all about Waits.
I've seen an interview with Waits where he said he was intimidated and a bit scared of her, apparently she was a really wild child during those years.

Very hard question Cliff,but what is your favorite Waits album? I'd probably choose Bone Machine.

Dominator68

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2007
Belgium
AFL Club
Carlton

I was going to say one of the great undiscovered gems, but was shocked to see it sitting at number 1 in Tom Waits’ Spotify playlist ... turns out it featured in Game Of Thrones at some point .. was not so long ago that it was all but unknown. Such a beautiful song.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Better version of this is done with Natalie Merchant. On the soundtrack to the superb BBC Series “Life on Mars” which has great fashion, music and cars. A must watch.

The Beatles still getting a lot of air time at my place. Simply freaks.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Just watched a documentary on Klaatu the other day.
Really have a respect for this group given their want to avoid the limelight....and then they gave us this....

No George, Paul, John or Ringo...but it goes pretty well.

I'm glad someone else likes it as well. Posted in another thread as well about a month ago.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
I've been listening to Donald Fagen's album Nightfly from 1982. Terrific album, every track is a beauty. His other albums
Morph The Cat 2006 and Sunken Condos 2012 are just as good. Donald Fagen is a genius!
Nightfly is about growing up in the 1950's.
This is New Frontier.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Right. Now there is a case for acid and I feel this makes for a 'case' against it. :)

There's no one I like more than BOC and if music could be converted into an acquaintance, they'd be my best friend.

Suitcase . BOC are magnificent, eery
, uplifting, inspiring, magical and peaceful. Love the chorus bass .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fantastic gig with Rhainnon Giddens tonight. Great voice, lots of different styles of music. Banjo and tambourine nerds.

Might be the last gig for a while - or time to explore smaller venues. Gunna be plenty of musicians looking for ways to make a living.

Back