What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

It makes for a good discussion and in the end, there's no real absolute best as they're all good and it may depend on the impact the albums made upon you.
I do recall hearing Echoes and thinking.....I have not heard this sound before and it made for a terrific lead-in to DSOTM, but by then I veered off listening to other artists that did more for me - Can, Neu, Hawkwind etc.
Nevertheless Pink Floyd were brilliant whilst they had all their components in tact and maybe the mainstream element turned me off them to some degree.

Whichever way though DSOTM was a landmark record and will forever be remembered as such....and rightly so.
You have some great tastes in music with these bands, Harks....all were less commercial than what Floyd became, but some brilliant stuff.

Just the drumming by Jaki Liebezeit on this track is worth the listen in itself....this was my first ever connection with Can back in the 70's....blew me away.

You have some great tastes in music with these bands, Harks....all were less commercial than what Floyd became, but some brilliant stuff.

Just the drumming by Jaki Liebezeit on this track is worth the listen in itself....this was my first ever connection with Can back in the 70's....blew me away.

******* great stuff.
Another band I was heavily into was Nektar. I've mentioned this before but they just didn't find their niche to rise them above their contemporaries.
Even the great Robert Calvert joined them on one album and really left his mark -

Spent quite a few hours plastered in my favourite chair and in my favourite position listening to this.

******* great stuff.
Another band I was heavily into was Nektar. I've mentioned this before but they just didn't find their niche to rise them above their contemporaries.
Even the great Robert Calvert joined them on one album and really left his mark -

Spent quite a few hours plastered in my favourite chair and in my favourite position listening to this.

Cheers Harker, I'll have a listen to it later on tonight with a scotch in hand :thumbsu::)

I think...dark side sufffers from over exposure...a bit like stairway to heaven. Its a masterpiece really if one can isolate the music from the hype and just listen with headphones.
The first time I heard echoes I freaked out and still feel the same way . The live popmeii recording is magnificent also.
Animals is probably my favourite Pink Floyd album.
I love DSOTM. I had to 'have some time away' from it, the best part of a decade I reckon. I 'discovered' PF when I was maybe 14 or so and loved them, but it really wore off on me for some reason. Perhaps the hype, or revelry by some turned me off it. After a while was able to genuinely enjoy it again. Grab the record, lower the needle, crank the amp and sit back. Fantastic.

WYWH is my favourite, hands down. Heard it described by a top-tier session drummer (who's music onions I really respect) as the perfect prog record. I'd probably agree.

Animals and Meddle in are also fantastic, particularly the 23 and a half minute belter Echoes from Meddle.

We can talk as much as we like about music but the giant of it all is Beethoven.

I suspect this will still be true in a thousand years from now.

That makes for an interesting discussion as -

The likes of the classical composers were just that - composers and not necessarily musicians in their own rights (to a point), nor a critical element of the performance of their compositions - It was mostly others who'd perform their works.

I think you're right though, but who knows exactly who may be viewed as universal pioneers of their trade. It could be Metallica, for all we know. :)

We can talk as much as we like about music but the giant of it all is Beethoven.

I suspect this will still be true in a thousand years from now.

Musical styles are more subjective than objective. The availability and evolution of recording and broadcasting were/are the big game changers. To me it's similar to the early painters being revered like the 'rock-stars' of their time, before photography could capture moments in history. Contemporary composers seem less relevant than the early ones, except maybe Morricone. (and the introduction of film scores is another interesting facet)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Musical styles are more subjective than objective. The availability and evolution of recording and broadcasting were/are the big game changers. To me it's similar to the early painters being revered like the 'rock-stars' of their time, before photography could capture moments in history. Contemporary composers seem less relevant than the early ones, except maybe Morricone. (and the introduction of film scores is another interesting facet)
Some of the contemporary composers are nothing short of incredible.

I remember the first time I saw/listened to Koyaanisqatsi, the 80's 'trip flick' with the musical score composed by brilliant Philip Glass...absolutely blew me away. It's well worth taking the journey of checking it out. Koyaanisqatsi meaning "life out of balance".

This is just a excerpt of 'The Grid' from the film - but gives a snapshot of the theme and the score.

Last edited:
Found these guys from Indonesia a few years back - they release a new single or two every year on 11/12:

It's twinkly emo infused punk stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back