What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been listening to the Golden Era of The Rolling Stones while getting about in my car. Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed. I also had Hot Rocks in there showcasing their hits. I mean there’s so much to like however when I read articles like this I remember why The Stones have never won me over as a fan.

When I had to clean up my brother in law’s place it wasn’t surprising that I found a lot of old vinyl. My god it was scary looking at all the stuff he had accumulated (mainly singles and EPs). What to do with it?

Robbo fancies himself as a researcher. If you want to find something good on line, I‘m your man. My son recently wanted to read original newspaper articles on Vincent Lingiari. Who does he ask? There’s a great resource called Trove which is attached to the National Library and it is digitising all this sort of stuff. I sent him a link to the newspaper articles. I’ve digressed...

Back to vinyl. Arthur was a big Elvis fan but the other gems I found interested me more than the man from Graceland. Two singles and an EP of The Loved Ones. Three singles from one of my favourite bands from the 60s, The Small Faces. Nancy Sinatra singles. Sonny and Cher singles. The list goes on (I made a joke there!)

How do you value all of this?

Well I found a couple of interesting websites that help in this regard. One of the websites will help you catalogue your collection.

Here we go.

if you’re so inclined. Have fun. I certainly have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been listening to the Golden Era of The Rolling Stones while getting about in my car. Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed. I also had Hot Rocks in there showcasing their hits. I mean there’s so much to like however when I read articles like this I remember why The Stones have never won me over as a fan.

Robbo, have you read Keith Richards autobiography, LIFE. It is surprisingly well written and reveals more than most, not always favourable.
I've never been a big fan of Keif. And the selfishness and ruthlessness revealed in this book hasn't changed that. Unlike most bio's that paint their subjects in a positive way, carefully avoiding negatives. Bob Mehr's book, Trouble Boys (The true story of the Replacements) is easily the funniest and most entertaining 'band book' I've read.

Robbo, have you read Keith Richards autobiography, LIFE. It is surprisingly well written and reveals more than most, not always favourable.
I've never been a big fan of Keif. And the selfishness and ruthlessness revealed in this book hasn't changed that. Unlike most bio's that paint their subjects in a positive way, carefully avoiding negatives. Bob Mehr's book, Trouble Boys (The true story of the Replacements) is easily the funniest and most entertaining 'band book' I've read.
I’ve read Keef’s book. I love all of that stuff. I’m closer to being a fan of Richards actually. His solo efforts with The Winos are great albums.

Stones were always a singles band, apart from the glorious black and white period.

There’s always one song on every album, apart from Keefs, where they kinda slant.

On this one, they do some pretty nice funk.

Tal Wilkenfeld, an Australian bass guitarist from Sydney now living in the US.

She’s played with Jeff Beck, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea and Govt Mule. Immensely talented. She’s coming here April 15th and playing at Howler in Brunswick. Still some tickets left. I already have mine.

She is a genuine musical genius.

Some songs from her new album called “Love Remains”.

Corner Painter
A great rock song. Don’t be fooled by her acoustic guitar! Opening for the Who.

Haunted Love
A demonstration of her bass playing talents.

Killing Me
Another great rock song. Opening for the Who

Pieces of Me
This song could have been written and arranged by Nora Jones. The lyrics are outstanding!!!

Hard to be Alone
All the previous songs are live performances. This is from her new album, LOVE REMAINS.

Shades of Hendrix’s, “Third Stone From The Sun”.

Last edited:
I went to the Melbourne Planetarium last night. My wife booked it but kept all the details to herself. We went with friends and stopped in at the Twobirds Brewery for a meal and a beer before the show.

The 9.00pm screening last night was a very animated, mind blowing look up at the ceiling while we listened to Pink Floyd’s ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’. It was memorable not only because of the iconic soundtrack but also because of your brain playing tricks as you watched the animation. They sense of flying when you’re not flying is a tad unsettling.

I can highly recommend it. Next month it’s ‘The Wall’. A double album. So it will be twice the fun.

I went to the Melbourne Planetarium last night. My wife booked it but kept all the details to herself. We went with friends and stopped in at the Twobirds Brewery for a meal and a beer before the show.

The 9.00pm screening last night was a very animated, mind blowing look up at the ceiling while we listened to Pink Floyd’s ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’. It was memorable not only because of the iconic soundtrack but also because of your brain playing tricks as you watched the animation. They sense of flying when you’re not flying is a tad unsettling.

I can highly recommend it. Next month it’s ‘The Wall’. A double album. So it will be twice the fun.
Booked in for ‘The Wall’ in January.

Booked in for ‘The Wall’ in January.

I was a HUGE Floyd fan when I was younger, but sadly 'The Wall' was the only album I couldn't stand....Dark Side of the Moon would have been brilliant at the Planetarium though.
I remember going to see 'Pink Floyd live at Pompeii' at the Dromana Drive In when I was a teen - brilliant on the big screen, but it was back in the days when you had the little speaker hanging from the side window, so the sound was crap.

1575965036537.png

I was a HUGE Floyd fan when I was younger, but sadly 'The Wall' was the only album I couldn't stand....Dark Side of the Moon would have been brilliant at the Planetarium though.
I remember going to see 'Pink Floyd live at Pompeii' at the Dromana Drive In when I was a teen - brilliant on the big screen, but it was back in the days when you had the little speaker hanging from the side window, so the sound was crap.

View attachment 791740
My favourite Pink Floyd album is ‘Wish you were here’. It just hangs together so well.

When I went to Pompeii with my wife the Pink Floyd work was at the front of my mind. I was pissed off when the guide told me that the Amphitheatre was too far away to see. Next time I’m going by myself, getting there early in the morning and walking there myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back