What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Spencer Davis. One of my great music influences growing up.
Spencer Davis Group, this is the second album I ever bought.
Stevie Winwood was 15 when these songs were recorded, playing guitar and organ and doing lead vocals. I always wondered how his older brother (the bass player) came to be called Muff.
All time classics.
Keep On Running

Gimme Some Lovin’

I’m A Man

Somebody Help Me (Their first hit)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP Max Merritt who just passed away at 79. I particularly liked watching Max and Stewie Spears in the sixties. Their music was different from other bands and they were more than cool.
I saw Max play this number at Dallas Brooks when he was at the height of his powers.

This was a favourite and I saw it so many times during the sixties, at many of the local venues that teenagers could go to on a Saturday and see live music.

Kids nowadays are really missing out on something great.
Bye Max and thanks for the great memories.

My favorite ol uncle was heavily into the jazz scene his whole life and was great mates with Max and especially Stewie Speers. Even though i only know Slippin Away from the Meteors, i always remember my uncle extolling Stewie's brilliance. He was a jazz tragic.

My favorite ol uncle was heavily into the jazz scene his whole life and was great mates with Max and especially Stewie Speers. Even though i only know Slippin Away from the Meteors, i always remember my uncle extolling Stewie's brilliance. He was a jazz tragic.

Stewie was a great drummer. I remember seeing him at a place called Opus East at Camberwell Junction. His drums sounded different that night. It sounded like he was using a brush somewhere in his playing. I watched him to see what he was doing. He didn't have a brush but there on the floor tom every time Stewie struck the drum was what looked like rain, from across the room, rising and falling above the drum. I moved across and got up as close as I could to see what was happening. On the surface of the drum was sand. Every time Stewie struck the drum the sand would fly up and then drop back onto the drum again and give the almost brush sound after the stroke. I'd never seen that before and haven't seen it since.
One of my friend's grandmother lived next door to Stewie's mum. Every time he went over there his grandmother sent him next door to see Mrs Speers where she would feed him cake and play records that Stewie was playing on. She had lots of pictures of Stewie from his childhood onwards along with pictures of him in various bands. She could explain all about each band and the band members. She really loved Stewie.
His big memory was going over one day and meeting Stewie while he ate a huge steak. This was during the mid sixties, he though Stewie looked older than his grandfather.

EDIT:
https://alchetron.com/Stewie-Speer

Last edited:
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Bruce Springsteen's autobiography, "Born To Run". Great book so far. A man whose whole life appears to have been shaped by his childhood days.
This is "Dancing in the Dark". I just learnt from the book that the girl he drags up on stage at the end of the song is Courtney Cox. It was no lucky selection, she had attended a casting call in New York City and was selected by the video's director Brian De Palma (The Wedding Party, Carrie, Scarface, The Untouchables, etc). It was their first video featuring the band.

This video is about how poorly America treated its returned Vietnam Veterans. Nothing at all like what many American Rednecks seem to think it is about.

And my favourite.

Last edited:
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Bruce Springsteen's autobiography, "Born To Run". Great book so far. A man whose whole life appears to have been shaped by his childhood days.
This is "Dancing in the Dark". I just learnt from the book that the girl he drags up on stage at the end of the song is Courtney Cox. It was no lucky selection she had attended a casting call in New York City and was selected by the video's director Brian De Palma (The Wedding Party, Carrie, Scarface, The Untouchables, etc). It was their first video featuring the band.

This video is about how poorly America treated its returned Vietnam Veterans. Nothing at all like what many American Rednecks seem to think it is about.

And my favourite.

Loooooove Springsteen. One of the best lyricists out there.

This is "Dancing in the Dark". I just learnt from the book that the girl he drags up on stage at the end of the song is Courtney Cox. It was no lucky selection she had attended a casting call in New York City and was selected by the video's director Brian De Palma (The Wedding Party, Carrie, Scarface, The Untouchables, etc). It was their first video featuring the band.

And my favourite.

:blueheart::blueheart::blueheart: The Boss.

Have seen him live several times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back