What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

Next in the underrated line up...musically so much more interesting than any of their progeny...

I'm going through a big Kyuss phase at the moment. I listened to them in high school, but didn't invest nearly as much as I'd like. Blues For The Red Sun was my favourite initially, but Sky Valley has overshot it as my favourite by a long way. I love that Led Zeppelin III sounding middle-section of that LP.

And The Circus Leaves Town is pretty underrated too. Way less focused than BFTRS and Sky Valley, but the singles hold up to their best, and songs like Phototropic and Catamaran contain the kind of moments that foreshadowed QOTSA.

Screaming Trees - Underrated 90s grunge band.
Lead singer Mark Lanegan very nearly ending up the same way as others from that era through decades long heroin / drug addiction (the following video I will post highlights his physical decline)
All gruesomely described in his memoir Sing Backwards and Weep, probably one of the best warts and all memoirs I’ve read. Just brutal in his description of his pretty much life long battle with drug addiction. A hard read but well worth the effort if your in to memoirs. “ Do yourself a favour “

I am a few years late, but I just discovered Tash Sultana

This song is just amazing. She is an incredible talent and outrageous with the loop pedal.

If you like that, then check this out:

Once you're on your 10th watch, start focusing on her face during the performances. You can see the passion and she just gets lost in the music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screaming Trees - Underrated 90s grunge band.
Lead singer Mark Lanegan very nearly ending up the same way as others from that era through decades long heroin / drug addiction (the following video I will post highlights his physical decline)
All gruesomely described in his memoir Sing Backwards and Weep, probably one of the best warts and all memoirs I’ve read. Just brutal in his description of his pretty much life long battle with drug addiction. A hard read but well worth the effort if your in to memoirs. “ Do yourself a favour “

I've seen him live twice; once at a 'secret' show at Cherry bar years back and more recently at Meredith (or Golden Plains?) which as I think about it is probably still 5 or 6 years ago now...

That Cherry show was unreal. His voice is something else. The guy basically plants his boot on the mic stand and doesn't move for the entire set but still has a huge presence. here's something I found from that gig:

Mark Lanegan Band - Don't Forget Me - 31 Jul 2011 Cherry Bar Melbourne - YouTube

You mentioned the heroin; here's his song about not wanting to quit.

Mark Lanegan - Methamphetamine Blues. - YouTube
That record, Bubblegum, is fantastic and stacked with his friends. PJ Harvey, Chris Goss, Dave Catching, Josh Homme, Alain Johannes, Natasha Schneider, Greg Dulli, Izzy Stradlin, Duff mcKagan, Troy Van Leeuwen, Joey Castillo, etc.

This is the 1st track off my favourite Screaming Trees record, Sweet Oblivion.

Screaming Trees - Shadow of the Season - YouTube

Don't forget he was in Mad Season with Layne Staley (Alice in Chains), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Barret Martin (Screaming Trees) & John Saunders (Walkabouts)

Mad Season - I'm Above (Live at the RKCNDY - NYE Show, 1995) - YouTube

I'll chuck this one in, because hey, it's the golden era of QOTSA with Lanegan and Grohl.

Queens Of The Stone Age / feat. Dave Grohl - Song For The Dead (Werchter 2002) - YouTube

This is great.

Mark Lanegan - When Your Number Isn't Up @ B2 Club 22.05.2010 - YouTube

Cobain backing vocals on Lanegan's debut:

Down In The Dark - YouTube (Cobain backing vocals)

Went and saw The Smith Street Band play their semi un-plugged show at The Forum last night.
Great to get out and see some live music again.
Will is awesome, great songwriter / great performer.
But the rest of the band (sans the drummer) have the stage presence of bricks. Never seen two people look more disinterested than the keyboards / piano players placed left & right front of stage.
Thought the show was OK, but probably lacks the rawness and edge the band brings to their plugged in shows.
Was a bit dissappinted with the set-list also.
In fairness, a fully seated “Covid safe” seating plan probably doesn’t help with the emotion, edginess & passion the band normally conveys in their live act.

Just been following links in media to new music. really liked this one. Omar Sosa, a Cuban pianist travelling around East AFric and collaborating. This one is with a Zambian Abel Ntalasha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back