Music What are you listening to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brian Wilson is up there with the greats song writing wise, and the rest of the band laid down some amazing vocals but the "band" did not play the instruments on the iconic Beach Boys albums like Pet Sounds. A bunch of session musos called the wrecking crew did which included a young Glenn Campbell on guitar. Very different to the Beatles, Stones, Kinks and the Who. There's heaps of great video on YouTube about the wrecking crew, a bunch of severely under paid legends.
And one of the few female session musos back then, the wonderful Carol Kaye on bass.

These guys are mates of mine and have just released an lp. The guys have got a lot of history going back more than 25 years playing in a of variety bands, some with more success than others. If you like hookie power pop riffs and harmonies give em a listen. The lps up on YouTube if you like what you hear.

Last edited:

The last song I expected to hear in an obscure Taiwanese drama... a beautiful cover of a classic.

Had some pins and plates removed in a minor bit of surgery. As I wheeled in to surgery, they were playing Dolly Parton. Luckily the anaesthetists were quick before I could ask whether they took requests.

Now in recovery and in honour of the Velvets and the Ozy I'm having to take I just listened to White Heat and Waiting for my Man.

Terrific tunes and cautionary tales.

I'm sitting, watching my old mother immersing herself in this, and it's both heartbreaking and beautiful.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had some pins and plates removed in a minor bit of surgery. As I wheeled in to surgery, they were playing Dolly Parton. Luckily the anaesthetists were quick before I could ask whether they took requests.

Now in recovery and in honour of the Velvets and the Ozy I'm having to take I just listened to White Heat and Waiting for my Man.

Terrific tunes and cautionary tales.
Hope your recovery is going well B52.

Brian Wilson and band singing Mumma's little baby loves shorten' bread"
Brian Wilson is up there with the greats song writing wise, and the rest of the band laid down some amazing vocals but the "band" did not play the instruments on the iconic Beach Boys albums like Pet Sounds. A bunch of session musos called the wrecking crew did which included a young Glenn Campbell on guitar. Very different to the Beatles, Stones, Kinks and the Who. There's heaps of great video on YouTube about the wrecking crew, a bunch of severely under paid legends.

Brian Wilson is a personal favourite. For over a week I have been singing (apologies to anyone within earshot) "Mumma's little baby loves shortenin' bread". No idea how it got stuck there but it did. Eventually I looked it up on Youtube and found this.

Mumma's Little Baby Loves Shortenin' Bread

Turns out Wilson was obsessed with the tune and song. According to Wiki
"During the 1970s, principal songwriter Brian Wilson was reportedly obsessed with the song, recording more than a dozen versions of the tune.[4] Alex Chilton recalled receiving middle-of-the-night phone calls from Wilson asking him to sing on a recording of "Shortenin' Bread"' ("He was telling me I have the perfect voice for it").[5] The Monkees' Micky Dolenz wrote in his autobiography that while tripping on LSD with Wilson, John Lennon, and Harry Nilsson, he remembers Wilson playing "Shortenin' Bread" on piano "over and over again".[4] Elton John and Iggy Pop were also mutually bemused by an extended, contumacious Wilson-led singalong of "Shortenin' Bread", leading Pop to flee the room proclaiming, "I gotta get out of here, man. This guy is nuts!".[6] Alice Cooper recalled that Wilson considered "Shortnin' Bread" to be the greatest song ever written, as he quotes Wilson for an explanation: "I don't know, it's just the best song ever written."[7]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back