What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

The Charlie Watts story I loved the best, is from Keith Richards autobiography “Life”. Great read by the way.

The band met in Amsterdam to discuss their future. A disagreement about Mick Jagger's ego problems ensued. Jagger then made a remark to Charlie Watts during the meeting. Jagger said to Watts: "None of this should matter to you because you’re only my drummer."
Watts did not immediately react to the comment.
Later on, however, as Richards recalled and against his advice, a drunken Jagger probed Watts over the phone, and said "where’s my drummer?".
In a hotel room just down the corridor from Jagger, Watts shaved, put on one of his Savile Row suits and some cologne before knocking on the door of his bandmate.
Richards said Watts walked straight past him, grabbed Jagger by the lapels of his jacket, and delivered a right hook to his face.
Watts reportedly added: "Never call me your drummer again."

Jagger stumbled backwards, and fell onto a platter of smoked salmon and starts sliding through an open window above a nearby canal.
Richards sees Jagger about to fall out the window and realises that Mick is still wearing a jacket he lent him earlier in the night. Jagger is wearing his jacket, the one he got married in, and he really wants it back. Richards grabs Jagger and hauls him back into the room.
Charlie is incensed, he really wanted to see Jagger fall out the window and wants to have another go at it, but Richards talks him out of it by insisting he doesn’t want to lose the jacket.
Richards suggested Jagger suffered from a condition he coined as "lead vocalist syndrome".

Last edited:
The Charlie Watts story I loved the best, is from Keith Richards autobiography “Life”. Great read by the way.

The band met in Amsterdam to discuss their future. A disagreement about Mick Jagger's ego problems ensued. Jagger then made a remark to Charlie Watts during the meeting. Jagger said to Watts: "None of this should matter to you because you’re only my drummer."
Watts did not immediately react to the comment.
Later on, however, as Richards recalled and against his advice, a drunken Jagger probed Watts over the phone, and said "where’s my drummer?".
In a hotel room just down the corridor from Jagger, Watts shaved, put on one of his Savile Row suits and some cologne before knocking on the door of his bandmate.
Richards said Watts walked straight past him, grabbed Jagger by the lapels of his jacket, and delivered a right hook to his face.
Watts reportedly added: "Never call me your drummer again."

Jagger stumbled backwards, and fell onto a platter of smoked salmon and starts sliding through an open window above a nearby canal.
Richards sees Jagger about to fall out the window and realises that Mick is still wearing a jacket he lent him earlier in the night. Jagger is wearing his jacket, the one he got married in, and he really wants it back. Richards grabs Jagger and hauls him back into the room.
Charlie is incensed, he really wanted to see Jagger fall out the window and wants to have another go at it, but Richards talks him out of it by insisting he doesn’t want to lose the jacket.
Richards suggested Jagger suffered from a condition he coined as "lead vocalist syndrome".

I've not read Richards book but have read others and the feeling you get is remarkably none of them appeared to be great mates...?

Watts for example usually stayed in hotel rooms not on the bands designated floor and Bill Wyman (the nerd of the group) would often stay in another hotel entirely! Also, there are very few pictures of the band together socializing at famous night spots, Club 54 etc. - although Richards and Jagger were often seen together, but this was mainly due to Richards having a steady supply of drugs..!

Last edited:
How good is the drumming in this track and that intro + Keef's riffage - what a hook! - in his signature open G tuning(those tones wow absolutely disgusting) and then the dreamy second half improv where all of the instruments take centre stage. Magnificent. RIP Charlie Watts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is the drumming in this track and that intro + Keef's riffage - what a hook! - in his signature open G tuning(those tones wow absolutely disgusting) and then the dreamy second half improv where all of the instruments take centre stage. Magnificent. RIP Charlie Watts.

The part where Billy Keyes sax solo merges into Mick Taylor’s guitar solo!:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Sicky Fingers is my fave Stones.
Every song is a classic, from the kick arse opening riff of Brown Sugar, to the fantastic closing track about life and hard living on the road ‘Moonlight Mile’.
Just an epic album.

Last edited:
Another track from Underworld. Whole album is a monster IMO. Highly recommend.

This was a catchy track during the late 80's and my introduction to there evolving electronic sound

Remove this Banner Ad

Back