What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

One more thing on John Fogerty - a few years back, following the Blues Trail from Memphis to New Orleans, at the Mt Zion Baptist Church cemetery in the heart of the Mississippi delta, I poured a customary offering of Mississippi moonshine over the headstone of the legendary Robert Johnson. The headstone was funded just a few years beforehand by Fogerty - and he also funded hadstones for other Delta Blues pioneers including Charlie Patton, Memphis Minnie, Elmore James, Sam Chatmon, James Son Thomas, Mississippi Joe Callicott, Eugene Powell, and Lonnie Pitchford.

Fogerty, along with Eric Clapton, credited Robert Johnston as being the singular biggest influence on his music, and this was his way of repaying the debt. Also cited as a major influence by the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, this is what Eric Clapton wrote about Johnson -
"Robert Johnson to me is the most important blues musician who ever lived. He was true, absolutely, to his own vision, and as deep as I have gotten into the music over the last 30 years, I have never found anything more deeply soulful than Robert Johnson. His music remains the most powerful cry that I think you can find in the human voice, really ... it seemed to echo something I had always felt."

Yeah mate, it’s just an old Yamaha. RXV 390. Nothing special, but puts out a nice sound. Good enough for my ears anyway!
Older amps and stereo equipment generally can be so much better than newer versions. I often pick up components at opp shops for a steal.

Older amps and stereo equipment generally can be so much better than newer versions. I often pick up components at opp shops for a steal.

Yeah, I agree. When my old Yamaha amp died, I actively seeked out a similar one, as I knew what it would sound like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you watch these clips you will probably notice that Joe has 3 very talented backup singers.
Did you know that all three are Australian girls.

Have a look at the video below to find out who they are. I guarantee you will know one, even if you don't recognise her.

And the Australian Boogie from the masters of Boogie. They were just unbelievably good live, every time I saw them..

Mercy.

Shall we keep on with the boogie? Sometimes we just need The Killer.

Another Australian classic Boogie by Chain. The Blues band of the day and I don't believe there's been a better Australian blues band since then.

I agree with you on that. I never saw them in their prime when Phil Manning was in the band, but saw them a few times in the early to mid '90's. I forget the name of the guitarist they had with them at the time but he - along with the rest of the band - was fantastic.

They are to this day the best Australian blues band I've seen or heard. I even forgave them for getting the lyrics wrong on Robert Johnson's "32-20 Blues".

Hands down one of the best rock n roll bands this country(or anywhere) has ever produced. Get it in ya.

P.S have prob posted at least a half a dozen times. Zero fu**s given :thumbsu:

I saw them live at Rosebud in about 83 or 84. Magnificent live. Early albums were smashing. Just loved those short shots of fast riffs eg Take A Long Line. Then later, Watch The Red came out, I thought it was grouse. Night Attack too not highly rated by most by very much by me :)

I agree with you on that. I never saw them in their prime when Phil Manning was in the band, but saw them a few times in the early to mid '90's. I forget the name of the guitarist they had with them at the time but he - along with the rest of the band - was fantastic.

They are to this day the best Australian blues band I've seen or heard. I even forgave them for getting the lyrics wrong on Robert Johnson's "32-20 Blues".

I saw them a shitload of times in the late 80s, early 90s. Love ‘em so much!
John Mayer was the guitarist, though I did see a gig when Phil came back. I think it was an anniversary of the ‘Oz Blues’ album.
Phil did a solo set, Matt Taylor did a solo set, Phil and Matt did a set together, then a set with the band.
Best Chain gig ever!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back