What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Amen.
Of the other two, I'm guessing Charlie Pride is one of them...who's the other?
Yeah, apart from Pride, the other is DeFord Bailey, a multi-instrumentalist and both a country music and blues star, best known for his harmonica playing - the "Jimi Hendrix of the harmonica". He was the very first performer to be introduced on the Grand Ole Opry in 1927, the first African-American performer on the show, and also the very first artist to have his music recorded in Nashville. I regret not including him early on in the history stuff I do on the country music thread. In these short clips, which shows him performing at the Opry in 1967 (a long way past his prime), keep in mind there's no other backing - it sometimes sounds like at least 2 harmonicas, but it's all just him -

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
without watching the video I’d be surprised if the answer is no. almost everything from classical to punk is touched up in post production these days.
He can actually sing though. It's more the "singers" who can't hold a ******* tune that use it (auto tune).

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I prefer recordings with no auto tune. Don't mind it when it gets a bit pitchy here and there. Adds a bit of flavour.

Also don't mind the timing shifting around a bit as the song ebbs and flows. Two of the most iconic guitar gods in history in Jimmy Page and Hendrix were all over the place and still awesome and still very listenable.

People are obsessed with everything being pitch perfect and in perfect time. * 'perfect'. If I want perfect I'll listen to my ring tone and put that on repeat.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
no doubt, but I’m talking about minute digital adjustments to achieve perfect (or close to) notes.
An abomination created by people who have no feeling for music.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Listened to both these versions in last day and not heard Martika for years so was fun to revisit. Found it interesting the instrumental sounds the same in both versions.
Can only assume Prince play the instruments in both versions but the Martika the vocals, although even on that, some of vocals sound like Prince too so maybe he did not want it known he on part of it when Martika released as a single.
Either way, unique collaboration and song.

Also an interesting live version by Prince where it a lot more guitar heavy based but left it off here to just share the studio recordings of it because it just interesting the keyboards sound the same so assume it is the same instrumental used in both versions. Maybe the Prince one was what he sent to Martika to then record her own singing to as a release.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
He isn't called the Great Sam Cooke for nothing.

Twistin’ The Night Away

A Change Is Gonna Come

What A Wonderful World

Bring It On Home To Me

You Send Me

Cupid

Chain Gang

Nothing Can Change This Love

And then there's this, slightlier bluesy side of the great Sam Cooke.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Followed up listening a bit more Martika just to know what songs she did.
She only got about 3 hits like Toy Soldiers, I Feel the Earth Move, Thy Will be done.
Must be more I am missing. She got amazing good singing voice. Surprised I not hear of her more after early 90's.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
There were plenty of singers from the 60's who could really sing. Del Shannon was one of them. It was rumored that he would replace Roy Orbison after his death (he was a great friend of Jeff Lynne) in the Traveling Wilburys, but sadly committed suicide before anything happened. Great guitarist with a wonderful and unique voice. Sadly, with Autotune it's unlikely we will ever hear that sort of voice again.

Runaway

Little Town Flirt

Hats Off To Larry

Rag Doll

Finally got a day off, so beer and blues it is. Breaking out the vinyl.

4B8582A1-D2E2-4362-923A-BE233788EDEF.jpeg

Back