What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a fan of Sal Kimber and the Rollin' Wheel I since the first time I saw them at Vic Market more than 10 years ago. They do a lot of touring overseas. They have only made 3 albums, but they are all really good ones. My favourite is their self titled album from 2011, these are a couple of tracks from the album. Terrific album.

Last edited:

Have to check my calendar as to whether CCR are back in or back out of fashion. Has the Big Lebowski effect worn off yet?

Love it. Played Ramble Tamble for my teen son and he asked if they were real instruments, and I said yeah, and that that is how the singer really sounds. He don't
I recall being really surprised (many years back now) when I first found out the Fogertys', along with Clifford and Cook, were no southerners, but all born and raised near Berkeley, straight across the bay from San Francisco!

John F became obsessed with Deep South/Louisianan culture and music and developed his southern accent and swamp sound as a schoolboy. Given all his obvious talents in songwriting, singing and a multi-instrumentalist, though he achieved a lot, he probably should've achieved much more post CCR - but was hampered by his own super-centric personality, being a perfectionist, with a 2 way approach to music - his way or the wrong way. Even his own brother turned against him (not that he was the only musical genius known for being a bastard to work with - Bill Monroe and James Brown come to mind). It's kinda ironically fitting that his first album after CCR split up was "The Blue Ridge Rangers" - as he was the only band member, playing every single instrument (I think he played about 15 ) on each (obviously multi) recording, like this cover of a Hank Williams classic -

His Deep South sound is seriously good for a Californian -

I recall being really surprised (many years back now) when I first found out the Fogertys', along with Clifford and Cook, were no southerners, but all born and raised near Berkeley, straight across the bay from San Francisco!

John F became obsessed with Deep South/Louisianan culture and music and developed his southern accent and swamp sound as a schoolboy. Given all his obvious talents in songwriting, singing and a multi-instrumentalist, though he achieved a lot, he probably should've achieved much more post CCR - but was hampered by his own super-centric personality, being a perfectionist, with a 2 way approach to music - his way or the wrong way. Even his own brother turned against him (not that he was the only musical genius known for being a bastard to work with - Bill Monroe and James Brown come to mind). It's kinda ironically fitting that his first album after CCR split up was "The Blue Ridge Rangers" - as he was the only band member, playing every single instrument (I think he played about 15 ) on each (obviously multi) recording, like this cover of a Hank Williams classic -

Brilliant vocalist. ( And guitarist )

Yep, city folk. That they could capture that mysterious southern swamp sound on some early tracks was incredible for a bunch of city slickers!

John is genius and ***hole wrapped together. Alot of high achieving high functioning folk are like that. It is perhaps more remarkable when they are not (eg Sir Paul M who still seems to be extremely agreeable).

Tom died tragically. The other two, not sure, though I was aware they had started doing Creedence Clearwater Revisited or suchlike.

Completely disfunctional band that worked it our for 3 magical years. Im grateful for that.

Brilliant vocalist. ( And guitarist )
One of the more tasteful guitarists you'll ever hear. Never overplays and always seems to find the right riff or lick. Not a virtuoso but an incredible player.

Hate is the right word unfortunately.it is such a shame someone shared a beautiful experience and you had to retort with hate. I Wish you really well.

If you think calling a depressingly large group of people nuffies is hate, you're a bit soft as well as silly.

And no one is going on telegram to watch a nuffie montage, no matter the background tune.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, city folk. That they could capture that mysterious southern swamp sound on some early tracks was incredible for a bunch of city slickers!

John is genius and ***hole wrapped together. Alot of high achieving high functioning folk are like that. It is perhaps more remarkable when they are not (eg Sir Paul M who still seems to be extremely agreeable).

Tom died tragically. The other two, not sure, though I was aware they had started doing Creedence Clearwater Revisited or suchlike.

Completely disfunctional band that worked it our for 3 magical years. Im grateful for that.

A little history on the origin of CCR's name - for those interested.

Originally known as the 'The Golliwogs', a creation of their previous producer when the band formed in 1964, in 1968 the band decided on their own name when they got back together after undertaking military service.

According to interviews with band members twenty years later, the name's elements came from three sources: Tom Fogerty's friend Credence Newball, whose name they changed to form the word (Creedence), as in creed; a television commercial for Olympia Brewing Company who's catch-cry was (Clear Water); and the four members' renewed commitment to their band, hence (Revival)...

Last edited:
When Slipknot write songs like this with no death vocals, how can you not love them?

Top 3 Slipknot song for me

The overall groove is amazing and the Chorus is nice

John is genius and ***hole wrapped together. Alot of high achieving high functioning folk are like that. It is perhaps more remarkable when they are not (eg Sir Paul M who still seems to be extremely agreeable)...
One more thing on John Fogerty - a few years back, following the Blues Trail from Memphis to New Orleans, at the Mt Zion Baptist Church cemetery in the heart of the Mississippi delta, I poured a customary offering of Mississippi moonshine over the headstone of the legendary Robert Johnson. The headstone was funded just a few years beforehand by Fogerty - and he also funded hadstones for other Delta Blues pioneers including Charlie Patton, Memphis Minnie, Elmore James, Sam Chatmon, James Son Thomas, Mississippi Joe Callicott, Eugene Powell, and Lonnie Pitchford.

Fogerty, along with Eric Clapton, credited Robert Johnston as being the singular biggest influence on his music, and this was his way of repaying the debt. Also cited as a major influence by the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, this is what Eric Clapton wrote about Johnson -
"Robert Johnson to me is the most important blues musician who ever lived. He was true, absolutely, to his own vision, and as deep as I have gotten into the music over the last 30 years, I have never found anything more deeply soulful than Robert Johnson. His music remains the most powerful cry that I think you can find in the human voice, really ... it seemed to echo something I had always felt."

Last edited:
Hurricane laughter.
Tearing down the rafters.

Bit of a trad Irish foot tapper.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back