What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I'm a very late comer to the Pixies, I'd heard some of their early stuff way back when but it really wasn't my thing but Hey popped up recently in a playlist somehow & I instantly loved it. So slowly working my way through their discography, so many good songs.

This monkey's about to go to heaven.

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
good way to start a Monday morning;)

Terrif band.
I remember hearing wave of mutilation the first time, not knowing the name or lyrics of the song, thought it was really melodic and groovy. Then you get the darker side. Pretty explosive band member relationships too which adds lots of spice.

Doreen making that Clarinet wail. And if a band doesn't have a piano-accordion, a Sousaphone will do.

A friend posted that on my facebook yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
EN KERNAGHAN BAND 45rpm

I like this single because it reminds me of a time my housemate came back with a purchase of the brand new James Baker Experience 7" ("I Can't Control Myself"/"Born To Be Punched") and rushed over to commandeer the stereo system off me so that he could play it, excited by the prospect that somewhere on the cover or on the label he had read the words "Double B-side" . He had also asked the fellow behind the record shop counter, who also happened to be a good friend of the recording artist "What does this sound like" and got the reply "In a word...(now this part I can't quite recall if the next word was "unlistenable" "abombinable" "attrocious" or "disasterous" - but I trust you get the gist).

Like that 80's Aussie classic, this has two zero commercial potential songs that will sound great and/or terrible depending on how sincere you think the artist is and perhaps if you have some level of appreciation for absurd D.I.Y. garage rock. I got a kick out of the lyrics of the 2nd song first ("Things Are Constantly Changing") as its really one for the (older) ages. En, who only looks about 20 something in the photos i've seen, tells you about a list of things that are different for him now compared to when he was a youth. The first song "Divine Body Care" has a sitar/tabla sound on it, and is more of a spiritual praise song probably related to En's time a Hare Krishna devotee somewhere up on the Sunshine Coast.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I'm a late comer to the Beatles, which sounds ridiculous. But it's because of that Get Back documentary.

I knew the main songs of course like Hey Jude, Yesterday, etc. I played a few of them on the piano growing up.

At the moment I've been going through some of their songs on Youtube and a lot of them are just ordinary songs that I have heard around the traps and didn't know were even from the Beatles. So my opinion on these songs like "A Day in the Life" is unbiased by their reputation. I always felt that song for one was ordinary. On the flip side I used to like "Here comes the Sun" before I learned it was from the Beatles too.

I do appreciate their simple sound, and their diversity of vocals, and their evolution as a group.

I feel a lot of their music seems superior in its simplicity at times. Their songs seem so broad and open to everybody by comparison to artists that I regularly listen to, who create songs about more specific subjects.

Then there is the cover art, a lot of which became iconic. I'm not sure if they created it, and if so if it became iconic of its own accord, or to some extent that just followed from being the biggest band in the world. I can't think of a more famous trio of album art than Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road.

I feel a lot of their status is probably because they were the first to do it, or to popularise it. In a similar way to how Elvis, Bruce Lee, James Dean, and others will never be topped because they were similar trailblazers in their particular field.

This is one of my favourites that I listened to this week. Apparently it didn't even make the album at the time.

I also have this song in my head at the moment.

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I'm a late comer to the Beatles, which sounds ridiculous. But it's because of that Get Back documentary.

I knew the main songs of course like Hey Jude, Yesterday, etc. I played a few of them on the piano growing up.

At the moment I've been going through some of their songs on Youtube and a lot of them are just ordinary songs that I have heard around the traps and didn't know were even from the Beatles. So my opinion on these songs like "A Day in the Life" is unbiased by their reputation. I always felt that song for one was ordinary. On the flip side I used to like "Here comes the Sun" before I learned it was from the Beatles too.

I do appreciate their simple sound, and their diversity of vocals, and their evolution as a group.

I feel a lot of their music seems superior in its simplicity at times. Their songs seem so broad and open to everybody by comparison to artists that I regularly listen to, who create songs about more specific subjects.

Then there is the cover art, a lot of which became iconic. I'm not sure if they created it, and if so if it became iconic of its own accord, or to some extent that just followed from being the biggest band in the world. I can't think of a more famous trio of album art than Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road.

I feel a lot of their status is probably because they were the first to do it, or to popularise it. In a similar way to how Elvis, Bruce Lee, James Dean, and others will never be topped because they were similar trailblazers in their particular field.

This is one of my favourites that I listened to this week. Apparently it didn't even make the album at the time.

I also have this song in my head at the moment.

Something has a strong argument for being the best of all Beatle songs. It is close to perfection. George also had HCTSun on the same album - an astonishing brace of songs by the 3rd man.

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Moby - Reprise album

Really like the rework of Natural Blues

Extreme Ways is my favourite song of his, but it could be better
I admit to liking some of Moby, espesh the blues reprises which are extremely affecting.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
EN KERNAGHAN BAND 45rpm

I like this single because it reminds me of a time my housemate came back with a purchase of the brand new James Baker Experience 7" ("I Can't Control Myself"/"Born To Be Punched") and rushed over to commandeer the stereo system off me so that he could play it, excited by the prospect that somewhere on the cover or on the label he had read the words "Double B-side" . He had also asked the fellow behind the record shop counter, who also happened to be a good friend of the recording artist "What does this sound like" and got the reply "In a word...(now this part I can't quite recall if the next word was "unlistenable" "abombinable" "attrocious" or "disasterous" - but I trust you get the gist).

Like that 80's Aussie classic, this has two zero commercial potential songs that will sound great and/or terrible depending on how sincere you think the artist is and perhaps if you have some level of appreciation for absurd D.I.Y. garage rock. I got a kick out of the lyrics of the 2nd song first ("Things Are Constantly Changing") as its really one for the (older) ages. En, who only looks about 20 something in the photos i've seen, tells you about a list of things that are different for him now compared to when he was a youth. The first song "Divine Body Care" has a sitar/tabla sound on it, and is more of a spiritual praise song probably related to En's time a Hare Krishna devotee somewhere up on the Sunshine Coast.

Gee - that sounds like my former boss towards the end of our annual Christmas party, blind drunk on the Karaoke machine and wondering why most people are suddenly leaving, while a few of the usual arse-kissers, also off their chops, are sitting around clapping..?

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Gee - that sounds like my former boss towards the end of our annual Christmas party, blind drunk on the Karaoke machine and wondering why most people are suddenly leaving, while a few of the usual arse-kissers, also off their chops, are sitting around clapping..?

You are probably in a better postion than me to answer that question...is it a question? I"m not in contact with the artist, so information unavailable. Maybe contact your ex boss, or maybe the artist on his bandcamp page.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
You are probably in a better postion than me to answer that question...is it a question? I"m not in contact with the artist, so information unavailable. Maybe contact your ex boss, or maybe the artist on his bandcamp page.

Guess my underlying question is - it's hard to believe such as musical obscenity was actually recorded..?

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
An interesting new wave curio from the early 1980's - not just because of Dale Bozzio's distinctive, syllabic style of singing wherein she almost resembles a female Bryan Ferry, but because drum supremo Terry Bozzio is the dude behind the kit - and he shows it at times on this song, with him aping Neil Peart with his precise beating of the toms:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back