What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
This was the Australian song of my era. Still absolutely amazing. I think this was the first time Australians realised we could produce music just as good as anything from England or the States.

I heard this played on the radio just last week in outback Queensland. They also discussed the making of the song. Written by Johnny Young, who envisaged it a slow, trippy acoustic piece, it was famously produced by Molly Meldrum, who pretty much filled the mixing bowl with all sorts of innovative ingredients.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
I heard this played on the radio just last week in outback Queensland. They also discussed the making of the song. Written by Johnny Young, who envisaged it a slow, trippy acoustic piece, it was famously produced by Molly Meldrum, who pretty much filled the mixing bowl with all sorts of innovative ingredients.
He lives up in Queensland now. I used to see him regularly when his son and my son were at the same primary school a long time ago. Another friend, Phillip Raphael (since passed away), a great guitarist, was in his band "Somebody's Image" and the sister of another friend was going out with him around that time. Really nice down to earth bloke.
He has a new album out. I haven't heard it yet, but this is on YouTube.

Last edited:

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
This is cheesy, dated, dorky and dinky as all get out...yet that opening synth riff has an ethereal beauty to it, the second opening riff is more mechanistic. By itself, it would just evoke some sawing back and forth, but when the dancey drum beat comes in, the riff and beat combine to form a strangely danceable industrial soundscape. The song isn't finished there though, as the air raid siren riff uses its warm tone to work its way through your ears while giving the song more beauty and urgency.

The vocoder effects are cheesy as hell, but their purpose IMO is to act as a centrepiece which instruments work around, preventing the song from becoming aimless.

Yellow Magic Orchestra (YMO) are the first Japanese band that I've listened to (was never a J-Pop fan), and I can see why both they and Kraftwerk influenced countless synth-pop/new wave artists*. Probably even today, vestiges of their influence can be heard through bands like The Killers (who were influenced by Duran Duran, who indirectly took cues from YMO).

EDIT:*Yellow Magic Orchestra and David Sylvian (Japan) were known to collaborate together.

A penny for your thoughts Drugs Are Bad Mackay?. Your music tastes (and cricketing knowledge :p) combine both depth and width.

Last edited:

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
In a December 2003 interview, composer Jim Vallance said he co-wrote this song with lyricist Bryan Adams for "a dreadful film called A Night In Heaven, about a male stripper, which was released in 1983." The film may have been a flop but the song became a monster hit.
While I've never been a big fan of Adams, it's hard to deny his performance with this outstanding live version of the ballad.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under rated song from an under rated Dutch band.

Last week I ordered the "Blue Box" which is a 13CD boxset containing their nine studio albums, a live album, two compilations and CD of bonus material. Looking forward to having a listen when it arrives, hopefully next week.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
This was the Australian song of my era. Still absolutely amazing. I think this was the first time Australians realised we could produce music just as good as anything from England or the States.

Love this guy, seen him many times at a little pub in Geelong. Just the complete live artist, everyone in the place would be up dancing.

This 1 is a gentler song but remains 1 of my favs.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I'm not a massive fan of Echo & The Bunnymen, though I can see why this song was so influential on British rock artists: the jangling strings to begin the song, those swirling synths and the sheets of electric guitar fuzz, along with the commanding vocals, give the song a certain mystique, but with a hint of danger:

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Alter Bridge is back mother *ers, and it's a chooooooooooon

Best since Fortress

Remove this Banner Ad

Back