What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night I watched Hitsville: The Making Of Motown.
The Making of Motown is a story about how Motown Records in Detroit was built and how it impacted the world during the American civil rights era. Fascinating stuff with more music stars than you could imagine. While Motown recorded black artists they employed blacks, whites and women in managerial positions, a first for that time. If you like music this is a must.

I watched it on ABC iview.

The Andrews Sisters. Yes, they really were sisters. My mum had a lot of Andrews Sisters records and as little kid she would stack them up for me. I would sit in front of the old mono HMV Radiogram with the lovely warm sound and listen for hours to all her Andrews Sisters records. They started singing together when Patty (the lead singer) was 7. She does a great job on this version of the song, which is taken from the Abbot and Costello movie "Buck Privates".

Last edited:

Last night I watched Hitsville: The Making Of Motown.
The Making of Motown is a story about how Motown Records in Detroit was built and how it impacted the world during the American civil rights era. Fascinating stuff with more music stars than you could imagine. While Motown recorded black artists they employed blacks, whites and women in managerial positions, a first for that time. If you like music this is a must.

I watched it on ABC iview.
Got to just over an hour and the bloody thing packed it in, wasn't able to get it back and will give it another go today but brilliant!

P.P. Arnold from the previous clip.

This is weird, I feel like I am talking to myself.
I've just finished listening to an audio book by P.P. Arnold called Soul Survivor, her autobiography. (If you belong to a library you can download an audio book for the usual length you can borrow a book).
From pregnant at 15, 2 kids by 17 with an abusive husband, to singing backup for Ike and Tina Turner.
Travelling to England with Ike and Tina Turner, Mick Jagger and Ian Stewart (an original Stone) helped her to escape the controlling influence of Ike. She began a recording career in England in the mid 60's and had hits with "The First Cut is the Deepest" and "Angel of the Morning".
She had what can only be described as numerous affairs with Jagger (along with a threesome with Marianne Faithful), Jimi Hendrix, Paul Marriott, Ronnie Wood, Rod Stewart and far more than I can recall. She did a lot of session work over the years with the Small Faces, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Andy Gibb, Keith Emerson, Dr John, Graham Nash, Nick Drake, Steve Howe and many, many more.
When you hear her story it becomes abundantly clear she made many really poor decisions, most of them due to the men she had relationships with that had some really dire consequences.
It wasn't till the last chapter of the book that I found that she sang backup on Peter Gabriel's "Sledge Hammer"
Here she is; blue dress, far right in the group of backup singers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Proud to claim these guys as Aussies - surely in the top three or four bands in the world right now.

Check out David Le'aupepe and his "let's get this going" pump up at 0:23 in. Awesome.

And then this

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back