What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice one andana! I was raised on Arlo Guthrie's music, as my dad was a big fan of his stuff. And a woman he taught with had spent some of her childhood living next door to Woody Guthrie, so the Guthrie music is a pretty big part of my first music exposure/childhood soundtrack.

My dad's fave:

Also grew up with a lot of this guy:

Thanks dad. No, I am not posting any ABBA.

Have a lot of love for old Mike Watt.
He's a class act and a monster on bass.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in a tequila bar in Sydney when he first toured Australia as a member of the Stooges. Ripping bloke.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Nice one andana! I was raised on Arlo Guthrie's music, as my dad was a big fan of his stuff. And a woman he taught with had spent some of her childhood living next door to Woody Guthrie, so the Guthrie music is a pretty big part of my first music exposure/childhood soundtrack.

Thanks dad. No, I am not posting any ABBA.

I was similarly blessed in early childhood, with my dad's two favourite bands being The Beatles and ELO.

(As well as sharing/suffering the common denominator of enduring a fair chunk of the band you named at the end there.)

Ha, freaky deaky - I was just listening to the Sweet/Hoffs album yesterday! Great minds.

Original of this is one of my all-time fave Beatles tunes, and this cover goes alright, too....

Also like their version of "Different Drum"....

And kudos on posting "I've Been Waiting" - long been my favourite Matt Sweet song.

Followed by this gem....

The man is a genius.

(PS. Thumbs up on the Camera Obscura clip, too, large e. Cool band, cool song.)

Last edited:
Another cover I'm fan of (that I was listening to today....and that should probably be posted in the Covers thread, but hey since I'm here).....

Currently reading a Strummer biography, which has had me revisiting The Clash's much-maligned second album, 'Give 'Em Enough Rope'.

Guitar sound on the punk rave-ups is still an over-glossed disgrace (the source of the criticism), but I reckon the songs themselves still hold up quite well.

Below is the best song on the album for mine. Suits Mick Jones' voice, really dig the little Jam-esque coda, and it's one of the few tracks where they didn't manage to over-polish (read: completely ****-up) the guitar sound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a shame that this otherwise highly-decent band became known for that annoying "Flagpole Sitta" song.

So much better than that.

And while on the covers theme....their excellent cover of The Beat's "Save It For Later"....

I was similarly blessed in early childhood, with my dad's two favourite bands being The Beatles and ELO.

(As well as sharing/suffering the common denominator of enduring a fair chunk of the band you named at the end there.)

Ha, freaky deaky - I was just listening to the Sweet/Hoffs album yesterday! Great minds.

Original of this is one of my all-time fave Beatles tunes, and this cover goes alright, too....

Also like their version of "Different Drum"....

And kudos on posting "I've Been Waiting" - long been my favourite Matt Sweet song.

Followed by this gem....

The man is a genius.

(PS. Thumbs up on the Camera Obscura clip, too, large e. Cool band, cool song.)

Do you know the link between Lloyd Cole and Matthew Sweet, by the way?

It was Lloyd Cole who convinced Sweet to change his song Good Friend to Girlfriend. And the rest is history.

Here's a cracking version of Sick of Myself on Letterman

I have a story about the Camera Obscura song. Can I shamelessly namedrop for one last time? I, um, might have played it with them one night...

Anyway, I was trawling through my old CDs lately and stumbled across this one

Do you know the link between Lloyd Cole and Matthew Sweet, by the way?

It was Lloyd Cole who convinced Sweet to change his song Good Friend to Girlfriend. And the rest is history.

Here's a cracking version of Sick of Myself on Letterman

Nice.

And I wasn't aware of that interesting little factoid. Never been a huge fan of the song, but it certainly put him on the map.

I have a story about the Camera Obscura song. Can I shamelessly namedrop for one last time? I, um, might have played it with them one night...

Rings a bell. Think I recall you saying once that you guys played support to them, but I could have remembered that wrong. Maybe it was just you filling in. Or both.

Anyway, I was trawling through my old CDs lately and stumbled across this one

If my eBay sales are anything to go by, there's still plenty of interest in Drop City out there. Their CD's always sell well. Think that's boosted by the Red Eye factor, cos' Red Eye stuff always does very well for me. But yeah, they haven't been forgotten.

Personally, I still like 'em plenty. Very cool band. Pretty much every band that Matt Sigley has ever been involved with is a winner.

Nice.

And I wasn't aware of that interesting little factoid. Never been a huge fan of the song, but it certainly put him on the map.

Rings a bell. Think I recall you saying once that you guys played support to them, but I could have remembered that wrong. Maybe it was just you filling in. Or both.

If my eBay sales are anything to go by, there's still plenty of interest in Drop City out there. Their CD's always sell well. Think that's boosted by the Red Eye factor, cos' Red Eye stuff always does very well for me. But yeah, they haven't been forgotten.

Personally, I still like 'em plenty. Very cool band. Pretty much every band that Matt Sigley has ever been involved with is a winner.
Yeah, we toured in support of Camera Obscura in 2007. Had a good opportunity to talk to their singer, Traceyanne, as we sat next to each other on all of our flights. They weren't really speaking to each other at that point. Lloyd, etc had really taken off in college radio in the US, and they'd just quit their jobs for the band, which caused a bit of anxiety, and they had just come from six weeks in a van on a hit and miss tour of America. Guitars thrown around backstage, words had onstage between band members, that sort of summed it up for them. Meanwhile we're on our first tour and having the time of our lives...

Anyways, I've been listening to Whiskeytown a bit lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back