What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know if anyone else here knows it, but I've been watching a lot of the Punk Rock MBA on YouTube lately, and it's seen me get the urge to go down the 90s hardcore/punk-type rabbit hole. He goes on about this band a lot, and I can see why. The first song is ******* sick.

I'm a complete novice though, so anyone got recommendations IRT essential albums/EPs?

Psychodrama - Dave.

Best album I've heard in years. Unbelievable he's only 20.

Man don't really wanna walk to the shop
Or jump in the train 'cause the ends got tension

One eye on my opps, two eyes on my friends
'Cause at least my opps, man knows their intentions

I turned a loss to a lesson
I turned a curse to a gift and blessing

Any girl that I've got an interest in
Face interesting, body impressive

I got ninety-nine out of a hundred marks in class on my English questions
I'd get the same if I did it again 'cause I still don't know the definition of restin'

Don't know if anyone else here knows it, but I've been watching a lot of the Punk Rock MBA on YouTube lately, and it's seen me get the urge to go down the 90s hardcore/punk-type rabbit hole. He goes on about this band a lot, and I can see why. The first song is ******* sick.

I'm a complete novice though, so anyone got recommendations IRT essential albums/EPs?

Do you mean recommendations on Earth Crisis stuff, or 90s hardcore/punk stuff in general?

Just finished reading Viv Albertine's brilliant biog, 'Clothes, Music, Boys'. Viv was a member of influential, (UK) ground-zero female punk band, The Slits, and she's a very cool person. Fantastic read, brilliantly written, highly recommended.

(The book is written in present rather than past tense (like 99% of the other biogs out there). Great literary device. Those of you about to pen your memoirs, take note.)

P.S. RIP Ari Up.

Original Slits....

Reformed (in 2005) Slits.....

Viv doing her more recent solo thing....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latter.

Sorry, spurs, forgot all about this.

I'd argue that a lot of Earth Crisis stuff has a bit of a metal tinge to it. Not 'metalcore' per se, but heading that way at times. If you want a few bands who are not too far away sound-wise, some of the following might be worth a try....

Snapcase
Raised Fist
Shai Hulud
Glasseater
BoySetsFire
Shelter (Hare Krishna hardcore!)
Sick Of It All
Born Against
Youth Of Today
Path Of Resistance (features members of Earth Crisis)

Tip of the iceberg stuff, but....

....a few hardcore staples (IMO....and obviously, you'll know plenty of these guys).....

Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Circle Jerks
Minor Threat
Fugazi
Gorilla Biscuits
Cro-Mags
Descendents
Angry Samoans
Misfits
Bad Brains
Reagan Youth
7 Seconds
Agnostic Front
And as above...Poison Idea

Probably forgotten a few essentials there, but that'll do off the top of my head.

And lastly, a few personal faves that don't necessarily fit into the above group.....

Satanic Surfers
Dag Nasty
H2O
Strike Anywhere

(Disclaimer: Not all these bands are strictly 'hardcore', but all have been known to incorporate elements of it.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back